By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Traditional Fighters VS Non-traditional Fighters

NFGBlinkAC said:

@ naznatips and S.T.A.G.E.

You guys are both right, but if a professional Tekken went against a Pro in SSB, they wouldn't get beaten down as bad as you think. There is more skill involved in Tekken than in SSB just because of the options you have for attacking are far greater in Tekken than in SSB

If you made a flow chart of all the available attacks in every situation in both games, Tekken characters have a HUGE amount of options to choose from compared to SSB. For example, my main in Tekken, Hwoarang, has a huge flow chart since his attacks can differ from 4 different stances, that leads to at least 4 different options of next attack to choose from, which then leads to another set of options.

There's just as much options in Smash it's just that you don't see them. Tekken and Smash are my two favorite fighters and neither of them is shallow. They are just different and like Naz said, they require a different set of skills.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
NFGBlinkAC said:
ctk495 said:

Iclim is right I have been playing smash for a year and I am sure that any pro will destroy me.They just have much more experience it will take me years to equal their skill.

Would love to play against you guys, but I don't own a Wii.  When I say "lack of skill in the game", I literally mean lack of skill since the only major skill part in the game is mind reading your opponent.  If you can read your opponent in any fighter, it can give you the advantage in a fight, but that doesn't guarantee a Win.  It's easy to pull off every move a character has in Brawl, which is why the game heavily rely's on the bassics of all fighters, knowing your opponent.

While anyone can use Pikachu's Quick Attack (Up-B + directions), there's very few people who can use it as effectively as Anther does. Anyone can throw Diddy's bananas but to use them like NinjaLink does takes some serious skill. I like the fact that the moves aren't hard to do but you have to use them wisely. It's also one of the reasons I prefer Tekken over Street Fighter, no damn quarter circle, hold for 2 seconds.

In addition online is completely different from offline.In only you can spam your way to victory while offline you wouldn´t.This is because of the lag.Most pro´s and members of the smash bros community  that assist to tournaments regulary  don´t really count online as a demostration of skill due to the lag factor.Since it changes the whole metagame.

TruckOSaurus said:
NFGBlinkAC said:

@ naznatips and S.T.A.G.E.

You guys are both right, but if a professional Tekken went against a Pro in SSB, they wouldn't get beaten down as bad as you think. There is more skill involved in Tekken than in SSB just because of the options you have for attacking are far greater in Tekken than in SSB

If you made a flow chart of all the available attacks in every situation in both games, Tekken characters have a HUGE amount of options to choose from compared to SSB. For example, my main in Tekken, Hwoarang, has a huge flow chart since his attacks can differ from 4 different stances, that leads to at least 4 different options of next attack to choose from, which then leads to another set of options.

There's just as much options in Smash it's just that you don't see them. Tekken and Smash are my two favorite fighters and neither of them is shallow. They are just different and like Naz said, they require a different set of skills.

Thats bullshit. SSB doesn't have anywhere near to the amount of offerings as Tekken. Tekken takes loads of fighting disciplines and some people have either one or more than one. SSB is a shallow game, just like DBZ and Naruto. You can make heavy matches out of it no doubt, but the purpose of the game is more about fun than to be skillful.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Thats bullshit. SSB doesn't have anywhere near to the amount of offerings as Tekken. Tekken takes loads of fighting disciplines and some people have either one or more than one. SSB is a shallow game, just like DBZ and Naruto. You can make heavy matches out of it no doubt, but the purpose of the game is more about fun than to be skillful.

I thought the purpose of all games was to be fun :P

Signature goes here!

naznatips said:
No, you're simply wrong. A good player in Tekken can't hop into SSBB and beat an SSBB tourney player, and vice versa is true as well. It's a different skillset. All you understand is what you are seeing on the surface.

And weight is far more important in SSBB than it was in SSBM... you have no idea what you are talking about. You should stop.

I never said Tekken players who have never played SSB would just immediately just beat a knowledge SSB player. I said naturally the all around fighter would come from Tekken because the game has far more control scheme depth. SSB is meant to be a fun party game. If the Tekken player was given a little bit of time (30 min-1 hour learning time), he would destroy a knowledgeable brawl player. SSB doesn't make use of the small amount button offerings and they don't have to become one with each players joints and fighting disciplines (because they no disciplines in SSB). In SSB it's easier to feel comfortable with a player than in Tekken, because if you suck with him, you must train yourself for hours. SSB is more about knowing your surroundings (IE: sinking levels, small ring, easy out levels, closed in boxy levels) and surviving the level while attacking your opponent. Tekken is about knowing your surroundings so you can have the best advantage offensive/defensive advantage on your opponent(especially to evade a cheap ring out). I've beaten people in Brawl in levels where I barely had to hit them, and just had to survive a level because the level kept sinking. You have no boxes or guns that you can pick up in Tekken, you just have your fists and your skill.

Around the Network

The basic mechanics of SSB are not as deep as Tekken, but all of the unique strategies and situations you find yourself in all of the time are what add to SSB's depth. There is so much more to the game than just the fighting attacks and combos. It's about distance, platforming, running/jumping/falling speed, and so much more.

The games are just entirely different, and I think it's silly for you to belittle the depth SSB has.

TruckOSaurus said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I thought the purpose of all games was to be fun :P

You're correct and Tekken is fun, but theres moves in games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter that a novice probably wouldn't be able to pick up and a seasoned veteran could. SSB is easier to pick up and play and feel like you're naturally putting up a challenge. I'm assuming the player was given learning to understand the control scheme. I allow my friends to learn if they haven't played the game and vice versa. I've played Soul Calibur 2 and 3 for long that when I first played Soul Calibur 4, I destroyed half the people in the room during a tourney. I assumed the buttons were the same and they were. If I try to do that in Tekken 6 I'm dead, because every Tekken there is some sort of control change. Soul Calibur is a step down in skill from Tekken. In SSBB I caught on quite quickly, just I lacked the finishers. The only thing I needed to actually learn from a friend but neglected to ask was the timing for a finisher, because I was told I had many chances.

wfz said:
The basic mechanics of SSB are not as deep as Tekken, but all of the unique strategies and situations you find yourself in all of the time are what add to SSB's depth. There is so much more to the game than just the fighting attacks and combos. It's about distance, platforming, running/jumping/falling speed, and so much more.

The games are just entirely different, and I think it's silly for you to belittle the depth SSB has.

I agree with everything you just said there. I already agreed that is the type of depth that SSB has. I even stated that sometimes you need to worry more about surviving a level than attacking your opponent. The Tekken player obviously still has the learning curve advantage by a mile compared to the SSB user, when learning how to be good at the opposites games.

Showertea said:
I don't get it. I watched all those videos, and I can't really tell the difference between what you classify as 'traditional' and 'non-traditional'.

They're all games where two characters on a 2d plane or on a variety of 2d planes arranged into what appears to be a 3d arena fight by using button combinations to pull off special moves. The objective is to reduce the opponent to 0 HPs in a number of rounds, and there may be any of a relatively small number of special features (swapping out characters, special move energy meters, ect.)

I'm going to guess you didn't watch the Naruto UNS one concidering that one is fully 3d.

Anyways i can't choose any because i don't like some games very much like street fighter while i like soul calibur.. and I am .. Tekken Lord ! XD Very much a tekken addict... and I also really like Naruto UNS (Hoping for a sequal set in shippuden with unlockables from the original.. ) :p I just like games that feels good when you play them. Or rather, when i play them. Has a nice game flow.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:

I just like games that feels good when you play them. Or rather, when i play them. Has a nice game flow.

Ditto.  You can really feel it when a game becomes stagnant or repetitive. 

The Street Fighter IV video in the OP bores me to tears for that reason.