By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Trophies and how they underachieve

theprof00 said:
@twest
I think that is the point he's making. Not many people are going to say that the two are that much different or that somehow one is inferior to the other. You're ruminating.

He might be sarcastic, but I still agree with his points.  Those are pretty much the reasons I like achievements better.  To me, someone that likes collecting things, I like achievements better. 

Since they matter to me, I look at silly little things like that and I obviously like one over the other.  So again, how am I a hypocrite?  I don't think they are the same and the things it's not like I'm giving achievements free passes while griping about the same things in trophies.

To those people that think they're the same or pointless-- that is your right and I don't care if you think they're the same or worthless.  That's your opinion and I respect that.

To those people that like trophies better-- same as above.  You can like them better for whatever reason, I don't care, it's your opinion.  I'm not going to tell you you're wrong because that would be pointless.

The article pretty much voices why I like achievements better and do not like trophies.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
ther article seems to dwell more on the superiority of xbox live versus the psn. Which, tbo, I agree with pretty much every point. However, the author really didn't give any valid reasons why achievements are better than trophies. He is merely just presenting his opinions as facts, which they aren't. I tend to think of them as pretty equal myself.

This is pretty much spot on.  This article wasn't about trophies vs. achievements, it was about PSN vs. XBL.  He just had to write ten paragraphs of nonsense to couch his real opinions so he didn't come off looking like a fanboy.

That ten paragraph rant can be boiled down to one completely true statement that he didn't have the balls to make outright:  XBL is awesome, PSN is a wasteland.  Trophies and achievements are the same exact thing, both were stolen from Steam as far as I can tell.  The only difference is in the interfaces and software support.

I think Penny Arcade said it best.  If this generation has proven anything, it's that Microsoft is a software company and Sony is a hardware company.  Xbox has been plagued by RROD and DRE, PS3 has been plagued by Sony's inability to properly implement anything.

sega4life said:

lmfao look at some of these replies...

If only I had time to go back and find threads were people said "trophies / achievements don't matter" but yet make a fuss if shit is said about them...

Achievements are better then Trophies in many ways.. and the article points out every single reason why..

I see no problem in the article...

As someone who didn't say those things didn't matter, I think the differences are very much negligible and the article looks more like this:

Point 1: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, Point 2 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah.

Point 3 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Xbox Live provides better online gameplay blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

The loading times are sluggish blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

The strikethrough items are either personal preferences or exaggerations such as "you have to navigate to the trophy list" even though all you do is press "up" once.

@twest
thats the whole problem. Other people will do the opposite, for example to me, acheivements are 1000 bronze trophies. Nothing more.

There are arguments on either side and will he makes his well, he is not exactly looking at it from an outside perspective. He is looking at it like an xbox gamer.
At the same time, the article is title "Why trophies underachieve." He is presenting a case as fact when it's really only one good point and a lot of dressing that point up.

twesterm said:
bbsin said

I actually think that if anyone completely agrees with this article, that person would find it hard to avoid being branded as a hypocrite.

Please tell me how I'm a hypocrite

Ill give you a better answer if you can reasonably explain:

how several points is any more valuable than a bronze trophy or two?

Or how 2000 gamer points give anyone any more "identity" (or more "personality") to each player than a specific amount of platinum trophies, gold trophies, silver trophies and bronze?

How's about why the trophy system has any less of a "connection" to games on the PS3, as opposed to games on the 360?

The guy complains about how having almost all bronze trophies makes him feel like a loser or unskilled, but having a number of achievement points make him feel better about himself since "every little point helps" (as if bronze trophies doesn't add to the overall level). Then he goes and talks about the personality/identity of a profile and how the trophy system lacks it.... do you get where I'm going with this? If you have 3000 bronze trophies and nothing else, you will have an identity of a "loser". But if you have a gamer score of 3000, the value of your profile is the same as any one else that has 3000g regardless of the skill thats involved.... in other words, there is no "identity" because even "losers" are rewarded with the values of the better players on xbox live.

He's also implying that bronze trophies gives him no incentives while he ignores the incentives of a gold or platinum trophy.

The point is this, barring two facts (1. achievements are for every game since launch and 2. achievements load faster), you can make the same if not very similair arguements against achievements.

Around the Network

The Trophy system is imo leagues ahead of gamerscore.

One number vs. a series of aesthetically pleasing strata.

The XMB layout of it is good too.

Sony did well.

theprof00 said:
@twest
thats the whole problem. Other people will do the opposite, for example to me, acheivements are 1000 bronze trophies. Nothing more.

There are arguments on either side and will he makes his well, he is not exactly looking at it from an outside perspective. He is looking at it like an xbox gamer.
At the same time, the article is title "Why trophies underachieve." He is presenting a case as fact when it's really only one good point and a lot of dressing that point up.

exactly, the only way to really logically explain why (or why you think) achievements are better than trophies without any reasonable backlash is by saying that you simply like one console over the other (for anyother reason besides the system of metascores). if you're just looking at it from a "metascore system vs metascore system" point of view, the same arguements can be made for either side depending on what the person decides has more value... 

BladeOfGod said:
theprof00 said:

of course you do (agree that is)

this article was ridiculous.
Bronze trophies feel worthless but 5G is important?
There is no loading on dashboard?
"acheivement unlocked" sounds better than "You earned a trophy"?

This is the lame rantings of a fanboy through and through.

"you have to navigate to the trophy section?"

- you mean press up?

What's wrong with the divisions? At least with platinums/gold/silver/bronze you can tell how good someone is or what they are capable of. A gamerscore could be nothing more than 1000 bronze trophies.

This

I too was impressed by this comment.

theprof00 said:

of course you do (agree that is)

this article was ridiculous.
Bronze trophies feel worthless but 5G is important?
There is no loading on dashboard?
"acheivement unlocked" sounds better than "You earned a trophy"?

This is the lame rantings of a fanboy through and through.

"you have to navigate to the trophy section?"

- you mean press up?

What's wrong with the divisions? At least with platinums/gold/silver/bronze you can tell how good someone is or what they are capable of. A gamerscore could be nothing more than 1000 bronze trophies.

This, a thousand times this

Just to add, platinum trophies are the biggest show of showing how good you are. Oh you have 1000g? Congratulations, thats 5x200, now look at this motherfucker shining right here

This article is ridiculous

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

papflesje said:
sega4life said:

Achievements are better then Trophies in many ways.. and the article points out every single reason why..

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

Yes.. To each his own.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o