Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Trophies and how they underachieve

I like trophies in all ways :p

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Trophies vs. Achievements They are the same. twes just hates the PS3

kjj4t9rdad said:
Trophies vs. Achievements They are the same. twes just hates the PS3

ding ding ding

I can't say I agree or disagree with the whole "Who's better?"-competition here (since I only have experience with one side), but the OP certainly has a few valid points (the loading and PSP trophies for me).

But in the end, I don't really give a shit about competing with others on trophy level. I just play my games, and once I will have played a game, I will look at the trophy list and decide whether or not I want to get more trophies from the game.
I like being able to say that I have two platinum trophies, but unless I am hunting for the exact same platinum as someone else, there isn't really any competition in it for me.

realill said:
Personally I think trophies doing better job in showing the gaming skill. Achievement points show how much games you have played, and trophies show how much games you have played + how much games you have fully completed.

Even if you have got 1000 achievement points in some game (Fallout 3 for instance), it does not mean you have completed every difficult to get achievement, it may mean you bought yourself bunch of DLCs and got easiest achievements there.

When you look at how much GS someone got for a specific game it is always displayed as a quotient.  If you got to a thousand by playing DLC you would not be able to fool anyone into thinking you had gotten every achievement. They would see 1000/1250, or something like that.

PS3 owners have been doing a lot of harping about the ease of checking someone's platinum count in this thread, but it only takes two clicks from your friend list to see the complete details about somebody's percent completion of every game.  It's not hard to tell who actually completes games, and who plays early gen games with easy achievements.

Around the Network
bbsin said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
ssj12 said:
I disagree with the entire article. My god, Steam's achievement system and Sony's show that you dont have to be a massive douche who thinks a few points matter to enjoy your game or expand the experience. If you want to aim for 100% complete you will collect and accomplish all trophies or achievements. Its all about fun not showing off.

Also I;m a level 6 when it comes to trophy collecting, 90% of my trophies are bronze. How useless are they if I accomplished that level with that many bronze trophies?

You know, I've been on Steam for over a year, and I never even knew it had a trophy system.

I guess that goes to show you how broad reaching Microsoft's innovation was, this gen. :P

Anyway, there is no defending the loading or lookup time on oddly named PS3 trophies. It's rediculious, and for sheer convinience, it would make putting up with e-peen douches online worth it, just to not have to go digging to find out what you just unlocked.

Digging? do you consider pressing 3 buttons "digging"?

and actually, when you earn a trophy, the pop-up will have an icon/picture of the trophy aswell as the name so the player will know what he/she had just unlocked.

It should say what the trophy phrase means when I push a button. When it doesn't do that, it is an inconvinience, and I probably will just forget the whole thing. It is an inferior design, and while it might not bother you that much, that still doesn't change the fact that one button is better than three plus loading times, when the result is exactly the same.

Every other point is opinion. That one is not. Unless you want to argue that more time and effort to achieve the same thing is better than almost no time or effort.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
bbsin said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
ssj12 said:
I disagree with the entire article. My god, Steam's achievement system and Sony's show that you dont have to be a massive douche who thinks a few points matter to enjoy your game or expand the experience. If you want to aim for 100% complete you will collect and accomplish all trophies or achievements. Its all about fun not showing off.

Also I;m a level 6 when it comes to trophy collecting, 90% of my trophies are bronze. How useless are they if I accomplished that level with that many bronze trophies?

You know, I've been on Steam for over a year, and I never even knew it had a trophy system.

I guess that goes to show you how broad reaching Microsoft's innovation was, this gen. :P

Anyway, there is no defending the loading or lookup time on oddly named PS3 trophies. It's rediculious, and for sheer convinience, it would make putting up with e-peen douches online worth it, just to not have to go digging to find out what you just unlocked.

Digging? do you consider pressing 3 buttons "digging"?

and actually, when you earn a trophy, the pop-up will have an icon/picture of the trophy aswell as the name so the player will know what he/she had just unlocked.

It should say what the trophy phrase means when I push a button. When it doesn't do that, it is an inconvinience, and I probably will just forget the whole thing. It is an inferior design, and while it might not bother you that much, that still doesn't change the fact that one button is better than three plus loading times, when the result is exactly the same.

Every other point is opinion. That one is not. Unless you want to argue that more time and effort to achieve the same thing is better than almost no time or effort.

I'm starting to question how much you actually know about the trophy system..... When you're playing the game and you unlock the trophy, there are no loading times when you look it up since the trophy data unlocks on your PS3 before it uploads to PSN. You can argue the 3 presses (one for the home button, one to click on the trophy option, and one to click on the game) because it's a fact, but as for the loading time, it only happens in select situations, such as when you compare trophies or go to your profile outside of a game.

I'm not going to argue that some trophy "inconveniences" exist, but perhaps your choice of words can be better when critiquing the trophy system.

Regardless, the sync time issue alone doesn't carry the entire weight of a statement that the 'trophy system as an inferior design to the achivement system'. There are many superior aspects that the trophy system has that the achievement system doesn't. It's actually very easy to argue the inconveniences of both metascore systems, for example, when you unlock multiple achievments, it doesn't  tell you what achievement you just unlocked, or how many points each were worth without having to press a button to look it up. On the other hand, when you unlock multiple trophies simultaneously on the PS3, you know the value of each trophy, the picture of the icon, aswell as the name without having to press a single button.

guys guys guys, it's a simple solution, just add another button to the controller that serves little more purpose than zooming instantly to the trophy section for the game you are playing. SIMPLE!

the problem with trophies is that they are a half ass rip off of achievements

much in the same way that primal rage was a half ass rip off of street fighter 2

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

completley agree with the whole article actually. Achievements and gamertags really do work better than trophies and psn handles