By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What DS game should I get my girlfriend?

Hey all! So my girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and I've decided to get her a nice bottle of port (she loves the stuff) and a DS game. Thing is, I have no idea what to get her. She's very much into sims (as in The Sims) and Spore-style games, adventure games (though not in the point-and-click sense), and Sonic the Hedgehog. I know that she already has Spore DS, Civ DS, and Sonic Rush, so those are right out.

Might anyone have any suggestions based upon those criteria? Thanks!

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is a must if she likes adventure games.

Animal Crossing: Wild World might also be up her alley.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village...
Or Let's Pilates / Let's Yoga... Though she might take the hint the wrong way...:)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Get Pokemon Mystery dungeon: Explorers of time.
She should like it.

Rune Factory 2. It's Sims-like (it's a Harvest Moon game), and it has strong ARPG elements (you can dungeon crawl).

All your bases are covered.

Around the Network

My gf likes New Super Mario Bros, Cooking Mama, MySims, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Nintendogs and Mario Kart DS..

Phantom Hourglass is one I'd recommend if she likes adventure games :)

Might I recommend the Ace Attorney series, in particular the first Phoenix Wright? Ladies love the Phoenix Wright.

Nintendogs?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

If she is into Civ DS maybe she would like the Advance Wars series? Like others said try Mario Kart DS, Super Princess Peach, New Super Mario Bros., or Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Thanks for the suggestions! I never would've thought of Rune Factory, and that seems perfect for her tastes.

Has anyone played the Viva Pinata DS game? How is that one?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom