By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can I take the DS seriously...

NiKKoM said:
LOL.. we got Lisa Kudrow and Professor Layton ads... much better..

and Beyonce for Rhythm Heaven... :)

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

In Canada, it's Beyonce playing Rythym Heaven. Over and over. But most of Canadian TV is terrible for ad repitition. Waaayyyyy worse than the States'. Anyway, it bothers me to see stuff like this as the main commercial thrust of the DS, but it doesn't change my opinion of the DS. Best portable ever.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

puffy said:
... I really do not like the female british accent, I'd have thrown something at the TV to make her stop talking :P

That's funny, her accent is probably the only reason I watched the whole thing :)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

That is the point of the commercials. To get an audience that normally would not have bought one in the first place. If they can get the message out there that the DS is not just for gamers then they can sell a crap ton more. There probably are people out there that will buy a DS just for brain age.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

TV is for casuals. Why aren't you gaming?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Xponent said:

@ binary

I'm from NZ too. Nintendo has ALWAYS underperformed here, so I don't neccesarily agree that its casual marketing strategy is to blame. In fact, I think there is a strong case to argue that Nintendo are doing better now than they ever have in NZ.

I agree that it would be nice if hardcore games were advertised more often, but if you consider the limited attention Nintendo tends to pay the NZ market, it just makes more sense for them to focus on their most profitable titles.

Like someone suggested earlier, hardcore gamers are already well informed so its less effective to advertise to them. You even said yourself you knew that gamers games exist on the DS. You don't need an advert to remind you.

I'm sure you remember that little more than a year ago Nintendo ads were extremely rare on NZ tv. I know for a fact that Nintendo's advertising is more diverse in Australia, and I suspect the same is true of other countries. Geez, I haven't seen any DS games other than Brain Training advertised on NZ television. EVER.

Nintendo's smaller share of the NZ market is and always has been symptomatic of the poor support NZ receives from Nintendo in general, not its television marketing strategy, which actually coincided with quite a significant improvement in sales. Nintendo games simply didn't chart at all until about a year ago, and now Wii Play and Wii Fit appear frequently in the NZ top ten, which represents quite a remarkable turnaround.

Thanks for the NZ market analysis. There is a middle market of people who like the hardcore games, but who are not hardcore gamers, I would count myself as one of those types. Before I came on this site the impression I had of the DS was kiddy games and Brain Training because that's all I was exposed to. OTOH the PSP was directly appealing to my inner gamer with its marketing, so my impression was that this would be the handheld system for me. Fortunately for Nintendo my wife, also thinking the DS was a hand held for little kids, decided to buy my youngest son one for his birthday. But if it had been up to me at the time I would have got him the PSP. I probably would have had my way if it wasn't for the price differential. My older son bought his own PSP, so Sony are happy too.

I've got to hand it to Nintendo though, they went for marketing to the Mums and it has paid off like no one would have guessed in 2005. Sony and Microsoft really missed out on a revolutionary marketing strategy. On the other hand, Nintendo was starting with a clean slate.

famousringo said:

TV is for casuals. Why aren't you gaming?

Same reason I'm spending too much time here making up dumb ass threads: I haven't bought my PS3 yet.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

So what you're not going to enjoy a console because it has adverts that dont appeal to you?

see without advertising, gamers buy it

but to expand the audience they advertise

i sure as shit wont be buying modern warfare 2 because of any commercial, but if they did a commercial with clint eastwood my dad might be curious

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

beyonce was in the lastest ds adds in uk.

Who really gives a shit about ads. If there are tons of games for DS in every single genre do you really need specific ads to market those games to you when you can do your own research. Just check out the DS game guide 56k warning that is a sticky thread in the Nintendo section. The ads are mainly for the uninformed public not for the gamers who already know what games they would like for each genre.