By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata admits Wii's first half of 09 was very poor.

1st party only=failure
3rd party and 1st party= sucess!

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
trestres said:

http://news.spong.com/article/17816/Nintendos_Iwata_Wii_Out_of_the_Closet

"· The definition of what can be called a videogame has become much broader. On the other hand, our principal in the videogame industry -- to develop “new” videogames in a broader sense which can surprise and make enjoy many customers as possible -- has not been changed as the main issue in “continuous expansion of gaming population”.

· From that viewpoint, we at Nintendo have to reflect on domestic Wii software deployment in the former half of this year. Like what had been to be released in the former half of this year was postponed to the latter, we were not able to reach the original goal – to regularly make new proposals.

· As for our deployment during the latter half of this year, I would like to announce on the other day as it is not today’s main topic. I would like to address that Nintendo recognize that we have been short of new proposals during the former half of this year, so far."

As for the last paragraph, I hope it's not PR talk. If he is telling the truth, then 2nd half 09 could be huge. 1st half 09 was perhaps the worst period ever concerning 1st party releases since I own Nintendo consoles. What made it that bad is that 2nd half 08 was pretty poor as well.

I'm guessing Wii is your first Nintendo console?

Anyone that survived the Gamecube era knows what a "game drought" really is.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

What did Nintendo release first quarter, besides maybe the DSi? I don't remember. Wait, Pokemon. I don't remember what they did for the Wii though. Excite Bots?

MaxwellGT2000 said:

Not to turn this into a pissing contest or anything, but the Gamecube games came fairly regularly in comparison to the N64 ones...

richardhutnik said:
What did Nintendo release first quarter, besides maybe the DSi? I don't remember. Wait, Pokemon. I don't remember what they did for the Wii though. Excite Bots?

Excitebots was April, so it doesn't count.

Trace Memory (Japan), New Play Control! (several ones, different territories).

And er...yeah. That's it.

Wow.

noname2200 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Not to turn this into a pissing contest or anything, but the Gamecube games came fairly regularly in comparison to the N64 ones...

You speak the truth, but I was going for something more recent, fresh in peoples minds if you will, honestly I don't know what changed from past gens to now, but internet whiners are getting too needy, when I was a kid loving my SNES I knew there would be one maybe two EPIC games in a year and I'd spend the rest of the year playing the games few and far between, and I really don't remember people whining so much back then, more like "oh man I got more hours in Super Mario World then you!"  "Well I beat that stage of Sonic that you couldn't!"  and stuff like that.  I think the internet has regressed the maturity of the gaming community as a whole.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

good, now that we have that out of the way lets get on with the rest of the year and release a bunch of kick-ass games!!! I already have about 10 games I will be getting for my Wii by the end of the year and its not even E3 yet (which could raise that total - i'm going to need to get a third job :)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

MaxwellGT2000 said:

You speak the truth, but I was going for something more recent, fresh in peoples minds if you will, honestly I don't know what changed from past gens to now, but internet whiners are getting too needy, when I was a kid loving my SNES I knew there would be one maybe two EPIC games in a year and I'd spend the rest of the year playing the games few and far between, and I really don't remember people whining so much back then, more like "oh man I got more hours in Super Mario World then you!"  "Well I beat that stage of Sonic that you couldn't!"  and stuff like that.  I think the internet has regressed the maturity of the gaming community as a whole.

I think this is true, but mostly I think the internet just gave the enclaves a voice to make themselves heard worldwide. Progress cuts both ways.

Wait. So his he saying they intentionally didn't release games now to release them later?

Kasz216 said:
Wait. So his he saying they intentionally didn't release games now to release them later?

Wasn't this what the whiners wanted? I recall several posters on this site saying it would have been soooooo much better if Nintendo had delayed Brawl/Kart/Fit to later in the year, just so that the second half wasn't so empty.

Gotta give the people what they want!

Although I'm not 100% sure that's not a poor translation.

nice to see some honesty