By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer October Issue Scores: Zelda DS, Heavenly Sword and MP 3

grandmaster192 said:
I hate the way Nintendo games are reviewed. You can never get a honest opinion on their games. Gamespot is the best site to go for Nintendo game, as other sites will have you thinking you're buying the greatest game to ever hit the earth.

Yeah, cause every site has a pro Nintendo bias *rolls eyes.*

Why can't people accept the fact that despite the difference in cost and technical specs, there are in fact Wii games that are better than PS3 and 360 games? I'd happily put Metroid Prime 3 up against anything on the PS3.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

Why can't people accept the fact that despite the difference in cost and technical specs, there are in fact Wii games that are better than PS3 and 360 games? I'd happily put Metroid Prime 3 up against anything on the PS3.

Don't put words in my mouth. Super Paper Mario is better then every game on the PS3 right now. I have no problem with another console having great games, so I don't know where you got that from. Nor do I understand why you had to bring up that bias bull, when it is the Nintendo fans on this site calling places like Gamespot and 1up bias. Metroid Prime 3 is not better than Resistance.

grandmaster192 said:
naznatips said:

Don't put words in my mouth. Super Paper Mario is better then every game on the PS3 right now. I have no problem with another console having great games, so I don't know where you got that from. Nor do I understand why you had to bring up that bias bull, when it is the Nintendo fans on this site calling places like Gamespot and 1up bias. Metroid Prime 3 is not better than Resistance.

The fact that you are even comparing it to Resistance shows you are judging a game you know nothing about. It's an adventure game. It's a sci-fi adventure, and the PS3 does not currently have a comparable game (genre-wise). However, Uncharted will probably be somewhat similar (though not sci-fi). I've played Resistance for a short time, but not long enough to judge it review wise. Metroid Prime 3 though is perfect though for what it's supposed to be. An adventure, puzzle solving, and FPS game combined. So yeah, I would say for what Metroid Prime 3 is designed to be, it certainly deserves a 9.5. Super Paper Mario was not nearly as good at it's genre (an odd mix of platforming and RPG), and I would give it an 8.5.

naznatips said:

The fact that you are even comparing it to Resistance shows you are judging a game you know nothing about. It's an adventure game. It's a sci-fi adventure, and the PS3 does not currently have a comparable game (genre-wise). However, Uncharted will probably be somewhat similar (though not sci-fi). I've played Resistance for a short time, but not long enough to judge it review wise. Metroid Prime 3 though is perfect though for what it's supposed to be. An adventure, puzzle solving, and FPS game combined. So yeah, I would say for what Metroid Prime 3 is designed to be, it certainly deserves a 9.5. Super Paper Mario was not nearly as good at it's genre (an odd mix of platforming and RPG), and I would give it an 8.5.

What do you want me to compare it with, Ninja Gaiden Sigma? I consider Metroid to be a FPS, so I compared to what I think is the best FPS on the PS3. Major gaming sites like Gamefaqs, for instence, have this game listed as a FPS, thus making Resistence a fair comparison to Metroid Prime 3. I hoestly don't see how could give Metroid Prime 3 a 9.5, as that would put it in a legendary category. The game is not that good, especially with today's standards. Super Paper, on the other hand, is an amazing game, and one of the best on the Wii. It offers a unique exerience of platforming and RPG elements. Super Paper Mario is a 8.8 game, not 8.5.

grandmaster192 said:
naznatips said:

What do you want me to compare it with, Ninja Gaiden Sigma? I consider Metroid to be a FPS, so I compared to what I think is the best FPS on the PS3. Major gaming sites like Gamefaqs, for instence, have this game listed as a FPS, thus making Resistence a fair comparison to Metroid Prime 3. I hoestly don't see how could give Metroid Prime 3 a 9.5, as that would put it in a legendary category. The game is not that good, especially with today's standards. Super Paper, on the other hand, is an amazing game, and one of the best on the Wii. It offers a unique exerience of platforming and RPG elements. Super Paper Mario is a 8.8 game, not 8.5.

Maybe you should try playing the game to understand why it's that great, or maybe you should read the reviews, rather than just the scores, to understand why it's that great. Here, I have a great one for you:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24117.html

Gametrailers does a great job of explaining their scores quite well.

Or, if you prefer, you can read my own in depth review that I posted on this site to find out why I personally gave it a 9.5:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6605

Oh, and if you want a short summary of why: It has the best console FPS controls in existence, far surpasing dual analog.  It has gorgeous arwork.  It balances exploration, combat, and puzzle solving perfectly, and it does nothing but improve on what made the first Metroid Prime great.  I have no idea why you find it hard to believe that the 3rd game in one of the best adventure serieses of all time would be that great.  The first Metroid Prime is the 3rd highest rated game of all time and yet you can't believe that this game is almost as good.  Your argument against it makes no sense.  It's not as good as a generic launch PS3 shooter?  I guess you are entitled to that opinion...

Around the Network

I don't get the Rune Factory hate either...it's a great game.

Wii # 4594 3226 7132 0861 (please PM me your if you add me, so I can add you too!)

Taltosh

I've already read your review, Nazatips, and although I think you did a great job reviewing the game, I think the 9.5 score is way to high. 9.5 means that it's a legendary, generation defining game. I don't consider this game to be that good at all. In fact, there isn't a single out for the Wii or PS3 that I consider that good. I also don't understand why you insist on treating me like an idiot who's never played Metroid in their life.

grandmaster192 said:
I've already read your review, Nazatips, and although I think you did a great job reviewing the game, I think the 9.5 score is way to high. 9.5 means that it's a legendary, generation defining game. I don't consider this game to be that good at all. In fact, there isn't a single out for the Wii or PS3 that I consider that good. I also don't understand why you insist on treating me like an idiot who's never played Metroid in their life.

I'm not treating you like an idiot who's never played a Metroid game in your life.  I'm treating you like a gamer who's judging a game on his own misconceptions.  Is a new leap in FPS control schemes not generationally or genre defining?  Because if it's not, Halo is in trouble.  As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but there are lots of valid reasons to give this game a 9.5.  That said, there is no valid reason to give this game (or any game that I have ever played in my life) a 10.  I am a pretty harsh reviewer grandmaster.  The highest game I have ever reviewed in my life is Chrono Trigger with a 9.8, followed by Ocarina of Time with a 9.7.  Although we all have our own opinions about games, to say that there is no reason to rate this game that high is pretty ridiculous, especially considering the press in general seems to regard the game very highly judging by it's gamerankings score.

naznatips said:
What the hell is going on with their scores??

What you all have to realize is the way Game Informer operates. Realize first that Game Informer makes a 7 an average score, thus pumping up scores for even average games to make them look good if you aren't familiar with the stupid system they use. Realize second, and most importantly, that Game Informer is owned by Gamestop. Gamestop is in the business of selling games, and they'll be damned if they are going to have a magazine for sale in every one of their stores and mail them to people if said magazine is not pimping the games they want pimped. Gamestop pushes certain games more than others because they expect big sales from them, but more importantly big sales plus a lot of trade-ins back on the same game (see: Madden), from which they make a lot more money than new games. To sum up, no, you can't trust that 8.5 Game Informer gave to State of Emergency, because their job is to promote games for Gamestop's marketing department. By the way, Game Informer is a horribly written magazine in any case (not that others are much better if at all), so I would hardly recommend reading it at all.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Those Rune factory reviews are... ouch

I think that looking at other reviews Ill probably still get the game, but OUCH.