By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Parents reactions to the Wii Zapper

So I'm walking through Toys R Us with my kids yesterday and these aisles have row after row after row of toy guns, rifles, shotguns, pistols, machine guns, cap guns, laser guns and water guns, etc....

Damn Nintendo for making a "toy" gun us adults are supposed to enjoy.

Some parents are incredibly hypocritical.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Summaro400ex said:
i think that this generation of parents are the most pathetic and irresponsible yet.... where i work i have parents who buy grand theft auto for their six year old kids justifying it by saying theira kids have seen it before... if you are a parent grow up and learn what is appropriate for your kid and stop blaming everyone else in the world for your kid being fat, dumb, and unable to tell the difference between reality and a game.

I'm guessing you're not a parent...

Until you have to go through the trouble of trying not to sacrifice your entire life for your child, then don't talk. 

I've always thought that the first responsibility in raising a child is knowing that you actually do have to sacrifice your entire life for them.  I know my parents did.  It's one of the reasons why I don't plan to have kids myself.

Several things come to mind:

1. As has already been pointed out, the survey's findings are completely specious - they didn't even use the correct picture for the WiiZapper. This is not only poor research, it's just plain fraudulent.

2. It is a lamentable fact that there are special interest groups who will complain about absolutely everything. Consider, for instance, the recent uproar over Resident Evil 5. People complained about the character shooting black people (please forgive me if you find the term 'black' offensive) despite the fact that the game takes place in Africa.

3. This reaction is hysterical. If simply having a gun-like object led to more gun crime then parents should be more concerned with the many toys available, which are shaped to look like guns. As it is the actually WiiZapper is not like a handgun at all in its structure.

4. Again if parents are concerned about violence where are the protests over Halo and Gears or other shooters? Just imagine, if using the WiiZapper makes kids violent, just wait till they get their hands on the Needler from Halo?

Montana, from your post it would seem that you do not treasure your child very much. For what reason did you become a parent if not to raise a child? Trying not to sacrifice your life for your own child? What kind of response is that supposed to be? You agreed to sacrifice your life the moment you decided to have that child of yours. Irresponsible parenting? That post of yours puts you right into that category y'know.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Oh it should also be noted that New Jersey is known for being really anti-gun and does everything it can to make weapons illegal.

They once confiscated someone with an semi-automatic gun if i remember right and used it to make a long range type rifle that's like a sniper hunting rifle illegal on the basis that it could be used in school shootings.(and not the gun actually used, which was already illegal)

The joke being that nobody could actually go into a school and gun down kids with those things are huge, clunky and oh yeah, the knockback would totally knock you on your butt in one shot unless it was set up in a position where you really couldn't gun down multiple kids.

It's about the least useful gun for a school shooting.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
CrashMan said:

As an asside, they used the wrong picture of the Zapper when conducting this survey. The picture they used was the following:

Holy hell!  That thing is SHWEEET!

But uh anyways, look at the old duck hunt light gun, that thing looked decently realistic and I don't remember hearing stories of kids training to shoot up their schools on duck hunt.  

The phrasing of the question is clearly more of an issue than the zapper itself.

PS - Is that pic above of an actual product? Or just a mock up? 

Didn't they recolor the NES lightgun because of protests though?  From the original all grey to the grey and bright red?  Or was that another reason.

Maybe they'll make the zapper lime green and write "Not a gun" all over it in big red letters.

I don't know about anyone else....but cool as the zapper is and looks, I don't really need it very much....I mean, the wii remote is kind of a lightgun already....half the games on it are aim based. I don't suppose parents take into account the ease with which lightgun shooters can be put on the Wii, zapper or no. For example. If I go ahead and play Resident Wiivil, I don't need the zapper. But I'm still manually adjusting my aim and blasting off zombie heads, just with something that's shaped a little less like a gun.

I agree Apostrovich...except I'd like a gun-like peripheral just for fun...it makes it more intense, trust me.

When I play Time Crisis at the movie theater tonight, I know I'd rather have a bright blue or bright pink pistol than a white tv remote for shooting down the bad guys. It just makes it more immersive I guess. Which is why it could be bad for kids I guess, and why the guns are usually painted ridiculous colors.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I wish the actual zapper looked like that gun looking one instead of the weird way it looks.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Well, ckmlb, you can go buy that one if you want...I don't think Zelda Crossbow Training is a must-buy after all...

Depending on the Zelda game and what the mass reviews say about the Zapper, I'll probably get at least one for kicks...$20 isn't that bad...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )