By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If I were a Palestinian...

superchunk said:

You claimed that Philistines and Palestinians were same people, not that they intermarried/mingled with all neighbors. I stated that Biblical Philistines were actually greek origin and not semetic (Arab Jew) Of course some biblical philstines became part of their neighbors, but, your assertion that modern palestinians and philistine were the same is just wrong.

The only reason the names are the same is because of Byzantium Christian rulers and the maps/names they gave the area based on their knowledge of Old Testimate stories.

They are the same people, by intermarrying/mingling with them they stayed the same people.  The Englishman that came to America 300 years ago are the same 'people' that are here today, the addition of Italians, Germans, Africans, natives, etc. didnt make the English people disapear.

The name is the same because that area has always been called Philistine.  Palestine itself is a Roman translation of the word Philistine.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
superchunk said:

You claimed that Philistines and Palestinians were same people, not that they intermarried/mingled with all neighbors. I stated that Biblical Philistines were actually greek origin and not semetic (Arab Jew) Of course some biblical philstines became part of their neighbors, but, your assertion that modern palestinians and philistine were the same is just wrong.

The only reason the names are the same is because of Byzantium Christian rulers and the maps/names they gave the area based on their knowledge of Old Testimate stories.

They are the same people, by intermarrying/mingling with them they stayed the same people.  The Englishman that came to America 300 years ago are the same 'people' that are here today, the addition of Italians, Germans, Africans, natives, etc. didnt make the English people disapear.

The name is the same because that area has always been called Philistine.  Palestine itself is a Roman translation of the word Philistine.

Wouldn't that ALSO make the jewish people phillistines though by your definition.  Since they also intermarried with the jews a bit?

@kasz216, that's the fallacy in what he originally said and what he is saying now. Instead of just admitting his original thought was literally wrong he is using as much grey area as possible to say he is right.

@kasz216, that's the fallacy in what he originally said and what he is saying now. Instead of just admitting his original thought was literally wrong he is using as much grey area as possible to say he is right.

superchunk said:

My original thought was correct.  The Palestinians are the decended people of the Philistines and have lived in the region for millenia.  Its true that would make Jews descendants of Philistines (we are all related anyway), but many Jews living in Israel are European Jews.  Not that thats a bad thing, but it means they have less connectivity with Palestine and, as far as wanting to give hereditary rights to land is concerned, belong more to Europe or Khazak (first non-Israel Jewish state which is in modern Russia, why so many Jews lived in Eastern Europe).

Superchunk is a complete herpe to this forum.  He's wrong and doesnt expect me to tell him he is after he makes statements like 'haha' or 'oh my god here we go again' because he thinks he knows something because he took a class on Middle Eastern History.  Its sad really.

Around the Network

meh. if these guys REALLY wanted a peaceful solution, they would have found one after all these centuries.
obviously, some of them just want to keep fighting.
Therefore, for peace, those that want to fight on all sides should be shipped off somewhere desolate and bombed.

peace out or peace off.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:

meh. if these guys REALLY wanted a peaceful solution, they would have found one after all these centuries.

Centuries?  The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a new issue and wasnt started until after World War II.  Before World War II, Muslims and Jews got along peacefully.  In fact many Jews fled to the Middle East to avoid European persecution and the Ottoman Empire gave European Jews land in Palestine when they still had control of the region.  Thats not to mention the Palestinian Jews who had already been living there.

In World War I, the British offered the Palestinians their own state if they helped them fight the Ottomans (which they did), but the British also supported the creation of a state of Israel to garner support from German Jews.  They initially screwed them both over, however, and kept Palestine for themselves after the war.

After World War II, many European Jews lost everything and wanted to start anew somewhere else, so there was a mass immigration to Palestine.  Europeans felt horrible about the Holocaust and offered the Jews their own state in Palestine, but the Palestinians living there weren't happy about losing their land and neigboring Muslim countries weren't happy about a holy area (and traditional Muslim area) being given to someone else.

ManusJustus said:
Spankey said:

Centuries?  The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a new issue and wasnt started until after World War II.  Before World War II, Muslims and Jews got along peacefully.  In fact many Jews fled to the Middle East to avoid European persecution and the Ottoman Empire gave European Jews land in Palestine when they still had control of the region.  Thats not to mention the Palestinian Jews who had already been living there.

In World War I, the British offered the Palestinians their own state if they helped them fight the Ottomans (which they did), but the British also supported the creation of a state of Israel to garner support from German Jews.  They initially screwed them both over, however, and kept Palestine for themselves after the war.

After World War II, many European Jews lost everything and wanted to start anew somewhere else, so there was a mass immigration to Palestine.  Europeans felt horrible about the Holocaust and offered the Jews their own state in Palestine, but the Palestinians living there weren't happy about losing their land and neigboring Muslim countries weren't happy about a holy area (and traditional Muslim area) being given to someone else.

so the Crusades were about...ice cream? or what?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

ManusJustus said:
superchunk said:

My original thought was correct.  The Palestinians are the decended people of the Philistines and have lived in the region for millenia.  Its true that would make Jews descendants of Philistines (we are all related anyway), but many Jews living in Israel are European Jews.  Not that thats a bad thing, but it means they have less connectivity with Palestine and, as far as wanting to give hereditary rights to land is concerned, belong more to Europe or Khazak (first non-Israel Jewish state which is in modern Russia, why so many Jews lived in Eastern Europe).

That's a myth. I heard that myth told many times by Arabs and anti-semites because they want to degrade the original Jewish heritage.

And Palestinians being descendants to the Philistines is just a pathetic claim. Sorry, but the Jews came to Palestine long before the Arabs. Israel belongs to the Jews.

Slimebeast said:
ManusJustus said:

That's a myth. I heard that myth told many times by Arabs and anti-semites because they want to degrade the original Jewish heritage.

And Palestinians being descendants to the Philistines is just a pathetic claim. Sorry, but the Jews came to Palestine long before the Arabs. Israel belongs to the Jews.

I do apologize because I got the name wrong, its Khazar not Khazak.

Its not a myth, its historical fact.  Khazar was a country in modern day Russia and the state religion was Judaism.  There is a ton of sources about the Khazars, and they said they were Jews, their coins said they were Jews, their neigbors said they were Jews, and so forth.

I've never heard anybody doubt the existence of Khazar before because of religious motives.

"Sorry, but the Jews came to Palestine long before the Arabs. Israel belongs to the Jews."

Maybe we should give Palestine to the Canaanites since they were there before the Jews.  What you, and many others, dont understand is that Palestine hasnt been erased of people and its emptiness replaces by others for centuries, the same people who have lived there all along have changed cultures, religions, language, and so forth but they are the same people.