By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who here thinks ps3 is Sonys' last videogame console?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E - Do you or do you not think PS3 will be Sony's last console?

No....I stated that the second digital downloads go big, Sony will drop out of the gaming race, because they cant use it as extra sales in on format war against Panasonic, Samsung and the other electronics competition. Blu Ray is a group effort, but still it wouldn't have survived without the gaming industry. Sony will definitely drop out if they cannot control a hard format which they sorely need to make profit off of. This could be two gens from now. Who knows?

Ok, so generally speaking, you think that Sony is currently on the path to dropping out of the console race? This does not necessarily have to happen in the next generation, but it could. Fair enough. I disagree but its fair.

Did I say it was next generation? I said probably two generations. As I said, if Sony cannot control their format because there is demand for digital downloads, they'll drop out. Consoles totally reliant on digital downloads will exist a little later. Hard formats will never be the future.

No you didnt, that's what I was making sure of. The thread asks if PS3 will be the last of Sony's console. As such, I assumed that everyone was talking about whether there would be a next home console made by Sony. In your argument, however, you clearly said that it may take more than a generation for this to happen. I was just clearning that up and like I said I disagree but its a point of view that I can understand.

Around the Network
Akvod said:
@ S.T.A.G.E.

I think that Sony changed the gaming industry, not through the technology of the PS1, but how it changed the perception of what games are.

SNES captured the kids, and defined video games as toys. Bill O'Reilley did a story on it smiling and happy about it.

Sony came and made it a system that's cool, and ok for young adults to play and not just pre-pubsecents.

Now Wii is capturing the parents themselves, along with the elderly.

They didn't. All they did was appeal to the aging demographic of current game players. In fact, the industry shrank under Sony.

You didn't think Iwata made up what he said about a shrinking industry?

Smashchu2 said:
Akvod said:
@ S.T.A.G.E.

I think that Sony changed the gaming industry, not through the technology of the PS1, but how it changed the perception of what games are.

SNES captured the kids, and defined video games as toys. Bill O'Reilley did a story on it smiling and happy about it.

Sony came and made it a system that's cool, and ok for young adults to play and not just pre-pubsecents.

They didn't. All they did was appeal to the aging demographic of current game players. In fact, the industry shrank under Sony.

first I heard of that...oh I see, it was what Iwata said.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Smashchu2 said:
Akvod said:
@ S.T.A.G.E.

Most Americans though nothing of it as the market was still strong in the West. In Japan, the market was dieing. Nintendo knew it would spill over into the US. Iwata as right. 90% of the growth of the industry has been attributed to Nintendo.

The reason people though Playstation grew the market, when it wasn't, was

1. The NES never made it to Europe. The Playstation was only the first global system of it's stature.
  2. No one factored in population growths. Populations gew faster then the numbner of consoles per household. As of now, the NES still penatated the most households. The Wii will probably beat it.

Smashchu2 said:
Pristine20 said:
Smashchu2 said:
Akvod said:
@ S.T.A.G.E.

Most Americans though nothing of it as the market was still strong in the West. In Japan, the market was dieing. Nintendo knew it would spill over into the US. Iwata as right. 90% of the growth of the industry has been attributed to Nintendo.

1. The NES never made it to Europe. The Playstation was only the first global system of it's stature.
  2. No one factored in population growths. Populations gew faster then the numbner of consoles per household. As of now, the NES still penatated the most households. The Wii will probably beat it.

Uhm... what the hell are you talking about right here?

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Smashchu2 said:
Pristine20 said:
Smashchu2 said:
Akvod said:
@ S.T.A.G.E.

He's right. While NES dominated in Japan and USA, SEGA and Sonic were always more popular in Europe and South America

wel they just announced the second psp so that ends it

BladeOfGod said:
Mummelmann said:
Smashchu2 said:
Pristine20 said:
Smashchu2 said:
Akvod said:
@ S.T.A.G.E.

He's right. While NES dominated in Japan and USA, SEGA and Sonic were always more popular in Europe and South America

Actually, he's dead wrong because what he's saying is that the NES was never sold in Europe. He didn't mention a thing about SEGA or Sonic in his post. It was probably just poor formulation but one should always check what one writes before posting. It makes no sense at all in its current form.

This is an interesting read about this topic.

Great article Smashchu.