By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Solid Wii Tech Specs Anyone?

I believe the specs are as follows:

Main Processor (Newt): 729KHz
Graphics Processor (Bollywood): 243KHz
64KB of RAM @ 12 KB/Sec Transfer Speed
3 Polygons per minute
16 Colors
Power Source: Hamster on wheel
Die Size: 1.5" Duct Tape

This is straight from Hus, so it may be a little off, but I think it's pretty close.

Around the Network

Power usage must be some kind of indication of something. I've read the Wii uses about 17 watts while it's on and 14 watts when it's in idle mode. Could be compared to the PS3 or X360 which are both around 180 watts and 160 watts. So by that calculation the Wii is about a tenth as powerful... or it's 10x more energy efficient. I've read many places that the Wii has a little over two times the TEV capability of a GC and about the same computational power as a Power PC but I really don't know what either of those things means. I do know that MP3:C looks great and it doesn't drop frames.

Power usage could be an indicator, but isn't an absolute one.

For example, a Radeon X1800XT uses more power than a GeForce 7900GTX... but the GeForce is more powerful by a not-so-small amount.

It all depends on architectures. Some architectures require a high clock to stay on a competitive level. A high clock means high power usage.

Timmah! said:

3 Polygons per minute
16 Colors

This is straight from Hus, so it may be a little off, but I think it's pretty close.

that was a bit low... does the Wii support 64bit processing/graphics?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Timmah! said:

3 Polygons per minute
16 Colors

that was a bit low... does the Wii support 64bit processing/graphics?

Lets see N64 was 64 bit, Gamecube was 128 bit, so wii must be 256 bit!

(yes, that was a joke)

Around the Network
fazz said:
Yes, the clock can be changed through software... firmware to be more exact. To whoever has a Wii, you can notice that while playing games, the console doesn't gets too hot. This gives us headroom for a good ol' overclock.

Also, the console can throttle back to a slower speed when in idle mode, like the AMD Cool n' Quiet tech... but this all depends if the CPU has such capability.

It throttles back to 485mhz when you stick a GC disc in, but that may be just the only instance where it can do that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@: timmah, it's got 98MB of ram...i think...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

LordTheNightKnight said:

It throttles back to 485mhz when you stick a GC disc in, but that may be just the only instance where it can do that.

I'm sure it throttles back to less than 485 MHz when it's on standby with WiiConnect24 enabled.

@Ishy: 88 MB.  64 MB of main memory, 24 MB of internal memory.

Timmah! said:

3 Polygons per minute
16 Colors

I really wish they didn't go with the hamster. Mine was DOA and the new ones I get keep dying from exhaustion trying to power it for Wiiconnect.

routsounmanman said:
fazz said:
Actually we don't know nothing about clock speeds or anything, the 729.14Mhz could be... but maybe it isn't. GPU architecture... we don't know either. Being a 90nm process could easily throw in something like a Radeon9800, but we don't know either.

The only thing known is the VRAM, being 64MB GDDR3 on a 128bit bus... you can actually know this by only looking at the numbers on the memory cell. But the speed... we don't know either.

Well 64MB VRAM isn't too shabby (I suppose it's Video-RAM). But in general it doesn't say anything at all. It's not about capacity or speed, it's about architecture; if it supports DirectX9c (doubt it),etc.

And I don't think anything less than Geforce 6000 or Radeon X000 could render Mario Galaxy and Brawl.

Oh really ... Doom 3 can be run on some Geforce 3 cards ( Ti ) , and dont tell me that Mario Galaxy looks that good :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!