By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are u afraid of Sony's PS3 division results after MS X360 financial results

NJ5 said:
Lostplanet22 said:
I don't really care about it. And I don't know why I should. I don't have stocks.

Because the financial results might determine the extent of the restructuring that will happen at Sony's gaming business.

But that is something I already hear for more than 2 years now and looks how many games Sony announced!  They are making the less money this gen still they have the most interested games for me.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
NJ5 said:
Lostplanet22 said:
I don't really care about it. And I don't know why I should. I don't have stocks.

Because the financial results might determine the extent of the restructuring that will happen at Sony's gaming business.

But that is something I already hear for more than 2 years now and looks how many games Sony announced!  They are making the less money this gen still they have the most interested games for me.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean it will be always the case. Especially when Sony has already announced that they'll fundamentally restructure their gaming business.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Lostplanet22 said:
NJ5 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Cause most of these announced games have been in production for years?? Most of these games were announced in 2007 + beginning of 2008. Only recently did SONY say they will be restructuring so no long term projects will be cancelled.

Dark Chaos said:
Lostplanet22 said:
NJ5 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Cause most of these announced games have been in production for years?? Most of these games were announced in 2007 + beginning of 2008. Only recently did SONY say they will be restructuring so no long term projects will be cancelled.

Nah,games as Uncharted 2/new R&C were quite recently announced. After a awfull year (2007) were so many predicted Sony would stop producing the PS3 and stop making games. Sony still announced a lot of new projects while they are doing better now I don't think I have to fear for something.

I'm sure someone else probably already mentioned it but just in case they didn't, it's Windows Mobile, Zune, etc, that are responsible for Microsoft's E&D being in the red. The Xbox 360 and its games are the darlings of the division.

Around the Network

rough times ahead for sony

not so much from ps3, but from how shit their tvs are now, among other things

i remember 20 years ago sony was a premier brand, now it just coasts on past success in electronics, no one buys sony anything unless they like the brand specifically or theres a sale

combo that with a 3rd place system and a total pirated psp . . .

well its not lookin great, even KZ2 a game even i want, sold shit.

of course on this site, sony could announce chapter 11, and people would still be in denial

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

NJ5 said:
I don't think the two are related. Of course, SCE was always going to lose money since they barely broke even in the holiday quarter (with much higher sales than this quarter).

One positive thing for SCE is that the dollar/euro got a bit stronger during this quarter. Still, it won't be enough to make them profitable.

Didn't they say they were going to lose money?

Like they were forcasting some crazy huge loss.  That one would assume includes the game division.

Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:
I don't think the two are related. Of course, SCE was always going to lose money since they barely broke even in the holiday quarter (with much higher sales than this quarter).

One positive thing for SCE is that the dollar/euro got a bit stronger during this quarter. Still, it won't be enough to make them profitable.

Like they were forcasting some crazy huge loss.  That one would assume includes the game division.

They are forecasting a net loss of 150 billion yen and an operating loss of 260 billion yen (for the whole fiscal year, even though the first three quarters were profitable):

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/08revision2/slide/image/04_image.jpg

These forecasts don't discriminate between divisions though... But one has to wonder how they could possibly be profitable after barely breaking even during the holiday quarter (other than some weird accounting).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Legend11 said:
I'm sure someone else probably already mentioned it but just in case they didn't, it's Windows Mobile, Zune, etc, that are responsible for Microsoft's E&D being in the red. The Xbox 360 and its games are the darlings of the division.

But MS E&D always had Windows Mobile and Zune numbers in it.. So if they were making money last quarter including these products and then suddenly go down than this means that XBOX360 is not making enough profit to cover the losses of these products, which it was doing in previous quarters. Or you are trying to say that suddenly MS Zune and Mobile has lost appeal and previously they were quite a hit products.???

NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:

They are forecasting a net loss of 150 billion yen and an operating loss of 260 billion yen (for the whole fiscal year, even though the first three quarters were profitable):

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/08revision2/slide/image/04_image.jpg

These forecasts don't discriminate between divisions though... But one has to wonder how they could possibly be profitable after barely breaking even during the holiday quarter (other than some weird accounting).

How much of that (if any) relates to the 293 Million Euro 1st Q loss for Sony Ericsson?

Is it even counted?

edit: it seems it is - it's listed as an equity affiliate in their report (pg 2)

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q3_sony.pdf

So the rest of the company must be doing relatively OK if the operating loss is only 260 billion yen (~220 million Euro)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral