By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are u afraid of Sony's PS3 division results after MS X360 financial results

Spankey said:
NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:
I don't think the two are related. Of course, SCE was always going to lose money since they barely broke even in the holiday quarter (with much higher sales than this quarter).

One positive thing for SCE is that the dollar/euro got a bit stronger during this quarter. Still, it won't be enough to make them profitable.

Didn't they say they were going to lose money?

Like they were forcasting some crazy huge loss.  That one would assume includes the game division.

They are forecasting a net loss of 150 billion yen and an operating loss of 260 billion yen (for the whole fiscal year, even though the first three quarters were profitable):

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/08revision2/slide/image/04_image.jpg

These forecasts don't discriminate between divisions though... But one has to wonder how they could possibly be profitable after barely breaking even during the holiday quarter (other than some weird accounting).

How much of that (if any) relates to the 293 Million Euro 1st Q loss for Sony Ericsson?

Is it even counted?

edit: it seems it is - it's listed as an equity affiliate in their report (pg 2)

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q3_sony.pdf

So the rest of the company must be doing relatively OK if the operating loss is only 260 billion yen (~220 million Euro)

The 260 billion Y loss is for the whole year, not just Q4.  That means their losses over Q3/4 had to offset their profits in Q1/2 plus an additional 260 billion Yen.

Around the Network

honestly don't give a rats ass at all.

You all shouldn't either, you all need to get out more life can be very fun.

Given a rats ass about some multi billion dollar corps earning really is sad. As long as the games are coming i just don't care at all.

As long as i get the best product for my dollar, id buy GM tomorrow if they sale me a G8 GPX for under 20k.

twingo said:
honestly don't give a rats ass at all.

You all shouldn't either, you all need to get out more life can be very fun.

Given a rats ass about some multi billion dollar corps earning really is sad. As long as the games are coming i just don't care at all.

As long as i get the best product for my dollar, id buy GM tomorrow if they sale me a G8 GPX for under 20k.

Why is it sad?

Many investors worldwide will be interested in the results. It's a good indicator of the heath or otherwise of a company which will directly impact the amount of money investors will be willing to invest.

Disenvestment will mean closure of departments, if not the entire company if bad enough.

his could mean that the games won't be coming.

I'm not saying it WILL happen, but if bad enough anything can happen - from canning SEricsson, TV division, walkman, Sony music, Sony pictures and possibly even SCE.

Thats why I give a rats ass.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:
I don't think the two are related. Of course, SCE was always going to lose money since they barely broke even in the holiday quarter (with much higher sales than this quarter).

One positive thing for SCE is that the dollar/euro got a bit stronger during this quarter. Still, it won't be enough to make them profitable.

Like they were forcasting some crazy huge loss.  That one would assume includes the game division.

They are forecasting a net loss of 150 billion yen and an operating loss of 260 billion yen (for the whole fiscal year, even though the first three quarters were profitable):

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/08revision2/slide/image/04_image.jpg

These forecasts don't discriminate between divisions though... But one has to wonder how they could possibly be profitable after barely breaking even during the holiday quarter (other than some weird accounting).

How much of that (if any) relates to the 293 Million Euro 1st Q loss for Sony Ericsson?

Is it even counted?

edit: it seems it is - it's listed as an equity affiliate in their report (pg 2)

So the rest of the company must be doing relatively OK if the operating loss is only 260 billion yen (~220 million Euro)

260 billion yen is 2 billion €, not 220 million.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Spankey said:
NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:
NJ5 said:

Is it even counted?

260 billion yen is 2 billion €, not 220 million.

ah...good point

Proud Sony Rear Admiral