By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are u afraid of Sony's PS3 division results after MS X360 financial results

NJ5 said:
I don't think the two are related. Of course, SCE was always going to lose money since they barely broke even in the holiday quarter (with much higher sales than this quarter).

One positive thing for SCE is that the dollar/euro got a bit stronger during this quarter. Still, it won't be enough to make them profitable.

Actually both XBOX and PS3 are fighting each other in the same market.. so if Toyota has bad results than it can mean trouble for Honda too.. Thats why i said maybe PS3 is going to be in trouble too.

Around the Network
Noobie said:
NJ5 said:
I don't think the two are related. Of course, SCE was always going to lose money since they barely broke even in the holiday quarter (with much higher sales than this quarter).

One positive thing for SCE is that the dollar/euro got a bit stronger during this quarter. Still, it won't be enough to make them profitable.

Actually both XBOX and PS3 are fighting each other in the same market.. so if Toyota has bad results than it can mean trouble for Honda too.. Thats why i said maybe PS3 is going to be in trouble too.

But it's not XBOX vs PS3 when discussing the financial results. It's 360+Windows Mobile+Mac software+Zune+... dollar-based vs PSP+PS2+PS3 yen-based.

That means a lot of differences, such as 360 being improving in sales from last year vs PS3 having lower sales than last year, and the different currencies involved.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

So how many million $ in losses do u perdict for the quarter NJ5?

I perdict -$90 million.

i don't own stock, so i don't care.

i will care though it will delay getting my games.

NJ5 said:
Noobie said:
NJ5 said:

But it's not XBOX vs PS3 when discussing the financial results. It's 360+Windows Mobile+Mac software+Zune+... dollar-based vs PSP+PS2+PS3 yen-based.

That means a lot of differences, such as 360 being improving in sales from last year vs PS3 having lower sales than last year, and the different currencies involved.

but unfortunately they don't give revenue/profit for each item.. so we r a little helpless in this regard.. but i m assuming XBOX is one of the main (>75%) revenue generator this division..

Maybe somebody can give further figures..

Around the Network

the reason is because last quarter was the holidays so they were able to hide the losses behind tons of software and accessory sales. The same thing happened to Sony last year (or was it the year before?), they made a small profit holiday quarter but the next quarter they lost quite a bit of money. I would be shocked if Sony didn't report a loss, it's probably gonna be -200-400 million.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I guess I will be wrong, but somehow I think the gaming division will post a profit.

Carl2291 said:
Zlejedi said:
Why should MS results matter for Sony?

Sony at the moment should already be profitable or breaking even on PS3 even more so when you consider higher percentage of PS3 sells in Europe or Japan which is adventage at current exchange ratios.

MS didn't have any big first party titles in Q1.

MS doesn't have two other consoles which are pure profit (PS2/PSP)

Just IMHO but sony gaming division should be profitable.

I agree with practically everything you said, apart from the last part.

Gaming division will be in the red, but not as much as people expect.

dont forget about the ps2 and psp.  those are both making profits and can most likely bouy the ps3 losses (we shall see wen it can make a profit soon)

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

I think a lot of Microsoft's losses are still coming from replacing consoles.

PSN ID= bigdaddymoo

MSI GT725-074 owner..... TRUE BEAST.. COD4 is a different game on PC.

vthokiesrmoo said:
I think a lot of Microsoft's losses are still coming from replacing consoles.

No they're not. MS already set aside $1 billion in 2007 to cover the extra warranty costs.