By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Making Of: PlayStation

Great read. THanks for sharing.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Awesome! I like it. The history of Playstation. Thanks for this one. I love reading it.

Aj_habfan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sethnintendo said:
Gilgamesh said:

Great read

Oh how revenge is so sweet lol I bet Nintendo was kicking themselves in the nuts for making that horrible decision.

"The SNES-CD was to be announced at the June 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format."  - Wiki

So no, Nintendo wasn't kicking themselves in the nuts because Sony tried to screw them.

Sony wanted to rip them off and take their profit. Sony cared not for the videogames, but what money they could take from Nintendo's name value.

Nintendo could have always, you know, not agreed to the terms then. Instead they let Sony announce it then just abandon them? That's a cowardly act.

Cowardly or not, Nintendo wasn't going to be had. Neither company had any sense of honor, but it was Nintendo's product Sony tried to mess with.

Quickdraw McGraw said:

^ It's apparent neither of you understand the deal between the two companies.

The only "screwing" done was Nintendo ditching Sony last minute. Sony's conditions were overzealous, but that was their business plan, and Nintendo rejected it. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: Ahh, page change.

Um....yes I do, because Nintendo wanted the rights to the games and the bulk of the profits because technically it is their Name brand and the Sony add-on would only be a port. Sony tried to take the profit.

"The SNES-CD was to be announced at the June 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format. Yamauchi decided that the contract was totally unacceptable and he secretly canceled all plans for the joint Nintendo-Sony SNES CD attachment. Instead of announcing a partnership between Sony and Nintendo, at 9 a.m. the day of the CES, Nintendo chairman Howard Lincoln stepped onto the stage and revealed that Nintendo was now allied with Philips, and Nintendo was planning on abandoning all the previous work Nintendo and Sony had accomplished." -Wikipedia

Sony, tried to screw them and leave them with shit.

puh...i will dont read everything now but still big propz for posting that article...i will love to read that...Ken Kutaragi is bigger than Jesus :D

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Um....yes I do, because Nintendo wanted the rights to the games and the bulk of the profits because technically it is their Name brand and the Sony add-on would only be a port. Sony tried to take the profit.

"The SNES-CD was to be announced at the June 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format. Yamauchi decided that the contract was totally unacceptable and he secretly canceled all plans for the joint Nintendo-Sony SNES CD attachment. Instead of announcing a partnership between Sony and Nintendo, at 9 a.m. the day of the CES, Nintendo chairman Howard Lincoln stepped onto the stage and revealed that Nintendo was now allied with Philips, and Nintendo was planning on abandoning all the previous work Nintendo and Sony had accomplished." -Wikipedia

Sony, tried to screw them and leave them with shit.

I feel you neglected to read my post.
Obviously, Sony's business model was too much for Nintendo, that's not "screwing" anyone. Nintendo, instead of formally canceling the deal, showed up at the conference partnered with Phillips. That, if anything, would be "screwing" someone over. Either way, the fanboys blow it out of proportion, it was a business disagreement and nothing more.

And obviously, the rest is history. I don't think either company is too discouraged by the situation these days.

Interesting read. It makes you realize how hard it is to enter the console business, how enormous resources you gotta have.

Makes you wonder which company will enter the business next, and when.