By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why the PS3 will ultimately succumb to the 360...

I don't think the PS3 will be able to catch up until at least 2009... I know Sony fans mention some of the big PS3 games that will be hits in Japan but some like FF13 likely won't be out until 2009 and it'll be hard to close any of the gap in North America while the 360 and PS3 sales are relatively close, it all falls on Japan and to a far lesser extent Europe.

Around the Network

The PS3 is already losing to the 360, lol

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:

Holy crap is this true???? Is the earth also round?

Gebx is that you in the big daddy costume? Cause if it is that is hillarious.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
sieanr said:

Holy crap is this true???? Is the earth also round?

Gebx is that you in the big daddy costume? Cause if it is that is hillarious.

eheh no, I can't take any sort of credit for that picture...

@BlueOcean

Yeah I heard about that 4D gaming and the whole NASA thing.. it's ok though, cause Microsoft is developing 5D gaming.. you always need to stay ahead of your competitor!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

PS3 ain't catching the 360, when Halo 3 hits in 11 days it'll all be over!

Around the Network

Just out of curiosity, why is this "modified" version of the original "why the 360 will succumb to the PS3" any more or less "fanboyish" than the original? The original was full of guesses, approximations, opinion, etc. I actually think it is amusing that he took the time to "flip" the argument to illustrate that point rather humorously. Here's a simple fact that I'm going to put in my signature cause I'm tired of saying it. The PS3 is currently behind the 360 by 6+ million consoles total. That means it will have to start outselling the 360 by about half a million consoles PER MONTH just to catch up. Assuming the 360 continues along on a 250K/month, that means the PS3 has to sell 750K/month or 5x what it does now and it needs to start immediately to make that happen... It certainly isn't going to happen through the end of this year. Maybe next?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
Just out of curiosity, why is this "modified" version of the original "why the 360 will succumb to the PS3" any more or less "fanboyish" than the original? The original was full of guesses, approximations, opinion, etc. I actually think it is amusing that he took the time to "flip" the argument to illustrate that point rather humorously. Here's a simple fact that I'm going to put in my signature cause I'm tired of saying it. The PS3 is currently behind the 360 by 6+ million consoles total. That means it will have to start outselling the 360 by about half a million consoles PER MONTH just to catch up. Assuming the 360 continues along on a 250K/month, that means the PS3 has to sell 750K/month or 5x what it does now and it needs to start immediately to make that happen... It certainly isn't going to happen through the end of this year. Maybe next?

All good points that fanboys will never understand! You're just wasting your time by trying to use logic.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
kn said:

All good points that fanboys will never understand! You're just wasting your time by trying to use logic.

I know.  I keep trying but it's pointless.  I don't know why I do, but I have this thing where I can't stand idiotic arguments.  Sometimes I make my own, lol, but will own up to them if someone presents me hard data otherwise.

I didn't even add in my argument that the above analysis assumes that whatever Sony does to push it's console to outsell the 360 won't trigger a reaction from MS to keep that from happening -- i.e. price cuts, pack-ins, etc.  Imagine if MS took some of it's 1st part stuff and started giving it away in bundles for cheap prices...  Say a $299 premium bundled with a handful of first party games, a second controller, and a free live account -- say for 6 months or something along those lines.   They would sell a bundle, for sure... I can easily imagine seeing a 500K units/month averaged out on an annual basis.  That would then push the threshold for Sony to close the gap to 1 million units per month.

But again, no-one will listen to logic.  It just doesn't work for so many.  I'm clearly a biased fanboy who wants to see the PS3 go down, right?  (Actually I am going to get one soon, but that's not important here) 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Although there was a lot of fanboyism in both this and the original artical, and the fact that it may anger some PS3 fans, I have to agree with the premis of this artical. I believe that the 360 will have a larger install base in 4-5 year. (In 4 to 5 years I believe the next gen systems for each of the companys will be comeing out.) Even if the PS3 does stick to a 10 year lifespan, (Something that realisticly only a dominate console can achive) I don't believe the remaining sales at the end of it's life will be able to make up for the lead the 360 has built.

The main problems for Sony are that they spotted Microsoft a 1 year lead and thus a sizable user base. Because they launched later and at amore expensive price, they need to show gamers why the PS3 was suprior to the 360 to warrent the increased price. Unfortunetly, as many people have stated here, cross platform games are becomeing more and more likely on these two platforms. But the games usually look the same on both systems so it is hard to justify the extra cost of the PS3.

Because of the increasing user base for the 360, more and more company's are either developing exclusives for the 360, or multi-system games that use the 360 and port it to the PS3. This does not help PS3 case.

As more and more developers begin to do this, it will lead to few games for the PS3, which will lead to lower sales of the PS3, which will lead to fewer games...

This doesn't mean that the PS3 is a failure, it just means that the PS3 (which is a very strong system) will get stuck in this cycle due to poor choices by Sony.

Keep laughing, Xbots. In 2009, when Sony releases the PS3: Stephen Hawking Edition that contains an actual black hole within its plastic shell and offers true 4D gaming, you won't be quite so smug.

Of course, there's also a small chance that by powering it on, you may destroy the entire Solar System but compromises have to be made to reach a $500 price point.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/