By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the 360 will ultimately succumb to the ps3...

I would assume on a sales site that people would understand sales trends and what effects them in the long term. Single games will never effect sales trends of a console over a long period of time. What effects trends are price reductions and holiday seasons. For all those in the petty list war, you do realize that for games to really effect the trend, they would have to basically force everyone to think "hey this console has the only games worth playing whereas this other console doesn't have any games." We can obviously say this isn't true for EITHER console. They both have good games and WILL have good games in the future. You are putting way to much stock in the dubious term "System Sellers." There really is only 1 system seller, and thats Halo 3, and that won't be effecting the long term sales trend other than maybe an extra 100k units for its launch month and into the next. With that being said, what is going to change the outlook for PS3 is dropping the price into consumer's comfortable range and bundling extremely well for the holiday season. These are the ONLY 2 factors that will help it catch the 360. It's just like gravity, as much as you don't want it there sometimes, it's always there to hit you in the face in front of the ladies.

Around the Network

Everyone knows the PS3 will win because it has better graphics, it can sell five million units without any games so its only a matter of time before the games it does get make it the winner.

PS3 owners said the Wii would be a failure and they were right.

PS3 owners said everyone would buy a PS3 and they did.

Just look at the main page and you'll see the PS3 is selling the most.

BlueOcean4ever said:
Everyone knows the PS3 will win because it has better graphics, it can sell five million units without any games so its only a matter of time before the games it does get make it the winner.

LOL......whew hold on....LOL....your serious or are you joking. The last time I checked it said Nintendo Wii number one, Microsoft Xbox 360 number two, and Sony Playstation 3 third and far behind both makers.

W29 said:
BlueOcean4ever said:

LOL......whew hold on....LOL....your serious or are you joking. The last time I checked it said Nintendo Wii number one, Microsoft Xbox 360 number two, and Sony Playstation 3 third and far behind both makers.

rofl, keep up the good work man

your almost as funny as SDF blue

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Why else would anyone think the PS3 would win if it wasn't selling the best? PS3 is selling the best and it will win. Only a fool would think a console that is selling the worst would win this generation so that's proof enough.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:
grimygunz said:
Desgaia 3 has been i production for awhile now. FF13 also has Vs FF13 so thats a 1 2 punch. MGS 4 and MGS Online 2 seperate game another 1, 2 punch. Tekken 6 a big uppercut. Socom Confrontation brings that great online community back. L.A. Noir is a wildcard as we haven't seen anything new from it but looked great when we saw it. The Agency looks like a MMO with great potential as long as they make it addicitve.
Yakuza 3 Will be a big in japan and we can only hope the bring it over to NA
Resistance 2 is in production similarly to the way R&C was in production before Resistance 1 was released.
Record of Agarest War is a SRPG coming out later this month in japan

Like I said earlier you cant just start listing some lineup and expect it to perform because its been very unpredictable so far. A few months ago we could have all said (for 2007) ...

PS3 has got a great flurry coming up, with NGS the first hard jab, followed by Lair and Warhawk, the double right hooks. Then followed by Heavenly Sword, the KO punch for 07"

Same for the 360. Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and the soon to be LO was going to be the triple rpg combo that would wake the 360 up in Japan. So far the first 2 blows really havent done that, and LO probably wont do as well as we thought it would a year ago.

Lineup to lineup all 3 consoles have great stuff coming, so people really need to stop relying on "coming soon" lists every time there is a debate.

Like I've said multiple times, there's a difference between trusting in tried-and-true series and trusting in new IPs. Sony fans put all their stock in new IPs this year, and look what it did for them. Xbox fans put their faith in Halo 3, and it looks to be turning out great. The opposite is true for next year. Sony fans get MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken 6, GT5, Disgaea 3, Socom 5, etc. etc. etc. but the only tested franchises 360 fans are getting are Ninja Gaiden and possibly Banjo 3. Everything else is a bunch of new IPs like Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery that could turn out like Lair, and even if they turned out great probably wouldn't help sales very much unless they were marketed like Gears right around the holidays.

Not to mention, just looking at things from a numbers perspective, the ps3's exclusive lineup is going to be much larger than the 360s next year. It looks like the ps3 may get the quality AND the quantity next year.

Some of the games you mention for PS3 are a little overhyped... For example Tekken 5 had 1.32 million in sales, Fable had almost double that (2.6 million) and yet Tekken 6 is mentioned for the PS3 and Fable 2 doesn't seem to make the cut for the 360. Final Fantasy XIII very likely won't come out until 2009. Is there even a date set for GT5? What about the exclusive episode packs for GTAIV coming to 360, does the best selling game of last generation's sequel having exclusive content for the 360 not mean much?

I made a prediction in another thread about a month ago that starting from the third week in August the 360 would start outselling the PS3 to such an extent in North America for the rest of the year that not even Japan would be able to offset it. I really think that the PS3 is going to have a lot of work catching up with the 360 and it'll only do it because of Japan because I truly think they have now lost North America (I think they'll come in third) and they're going to have a much harder time than expected in Europe, to such an extent that there may be no clear victor for second place.

Like usual, VGChartz's numbers are off. I only trust their console numbers. According to Wikipedia, Tekken 5 sold 4.3 mil., which makes sense, considering the fact that it was way better Tekken 4 and T4 managed to sell 3.3 mil. (well, sold 3.3 mil. according to this site).

makingmusic476 said:
Legend11 said:
makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:
grimygunz said:
Desgaia 3 has been i production for awhile now. FF13 also has Vs FF13 so thats a 1 2 punch. MGS 4 and MGS Online 2 seperate game another 1, 2 punch. Tekken 6 a big uppercut. Socom Confrontation brings that great online community back. L.A. Noir is a wildcard as we haven't seen anything new from it but looked great when we saw it. The Agency looks like a MMO with great potential as long as they make it addicitve.
Resistance 2 is in production similarly to the way R&C was in production before Resistance 1 was released.

Like I said earlier you cant just start listing some lineup and expect it to perform because its been very unpredictable so far. A few months ago we could have all said (for 2007) ...

PS3 has got a great flurry coming up, with NGS the first hard jab, followed by Lair and Warhawk, the double right hooks. Then followed by Heavenly Sword, the KO punch for 07"

Same for the 360. Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and the soon to be LO was going to be the triple rpg combo that would wake the 360 up in Japan. So far the first 2 blows really havent done that, and LO probably wont do as well as we thought it would a year ago.

Lineup to lineup all 3 consoles have great stuff coming, so people really need to stop relying on "coming soon" lists every time there is a debate.

Like I've said multiple times, there's a difference between trusting in tried-and-true series and trusting in new IPs. Sony fans put all their stock in new IPs this year, and look what it did for them. Xbox fans put their faith in Halo 3, and it looks to be turning out great. The opposite is true for next year. Sony fans get MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken 6, GT5, Disgaea 3, Socom 5, etc. etc. etc. but the only tested franchises 360 fans are getting are Ninja Gaiden and possibly Banjo 3. Everything else is a bunch of new IPs like Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery that could turn out like Lair, and even if they turned out great probably wouldn't help sales very much unless they were marketed like Gears right around the holidays.

Not to mention, just looking at things from a numbers perspective, the ps3's exclusive lineup is going to be much larger than the 360s next year. It looks like the ps3 may get the quality AND the quantity next year.

Some of the games you mention for PS3 are a little overhyped... For example Tekken 5 had 1.32 million in sales, Fable had almost double that (2.6 million) and yet Tekken 6 is mentioned for the PS3 and Fable 2 doesn't seem to make the cut for the 360. Final Fantasy XIII very likely won't come out until 2009. Is there even a date set for GT5? What about the exclusive episode packs for GTAIV coming to 360, does the best selling game of last generation's sequel having exclusive content for the 360 not mean much?

I made a prediction in another thread about a month ago that starting from the third week in August the 360 would start outselling the PS3 to such an extent in North America for the rest of the year that not even Japan would be able to offset it. I really think that the PS3 is going to have a lot of work catching up with the 360 and it'll only do it because of Japan because I truly think they have now lost North America (I think they'll come in third) and they're going to have a much harder time than expected in Europe, to such an extent that there may be no clear victor for second place.

Like usual, VGChartz's numbers are off. I only trust their console numbers. According to Wikipedia, Tekken 5 sold 4.3 mil., which makes sense, considering the fact that it was way better Tekken 4 and T4 managed to sell 3.3 mil. (well, sold 3.3 mil. according to this site).

Are you sure Wikipedia's number is correct?

leo-j said:
Wii sales are severley declining, I doubt there is any trouble in stock in japan, this is the time for sony to attack!!

Week Ending
WW Units Sold (Wii)
Jun 2
Jun 9
Jun 16
Jun 23
Jun 30
Jul 7
Jul 14
Jul 21
Jul 28
Aug 4
Aug 11
Aug 18
Aug 25
Sep 1
Sep 8

This is my standard 15 week look back in time, I could go further back and illustrate clearly that the Wii has been on the uptrend, but I have used 15 weeks for identifying trends for a while now so I will continue using it.

Anyways, I see fluctuations up and down, but I do not see this decline. So please point out where you see "severely declining" numbers. And in doing so please remember that July 14th coincided with a big game release the same as Aug 18th's numbers.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Legend11 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Legend11 said:
makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:
grimygunz said:

Are you sure Wikipedia's number is correct?

Not 100%, but I'd still trust it over here. According to this site, MGS2 sold only 5.5 mil., though it actually sold over 7 mil.  Also according to this site, Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma don't even exist.

FYI: People are going to like the numbers that show that their preference is shown to have the best numbers.