By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the 360 will ultimately succumb to the ps3...

ckmlb said:
PS3 will win cause the difference in Japan will only grow and the difference in US is likely to get smaller when the bigger PS3 games come out next year. In Europe, PS3 is more likely to win agaisnt the 360 as well.

14 paragraphs and it all boils down to that. ^^

Not really, but pretty close. :P

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
PS3 will win cause the difference in Japan will only grow and the difference in US is likely to get smaller when the bigger PS3 games come out next year. In Europe, PS3 is more likely to win agaisnt the 360 as well.

So, this would be somewhat similar to how the Saturn beat the 64 in Japan, but lost out to the same console in the US?

Generally speaking, there is always one console that sells very, very well in Japan with everything else doing considerably lower numbers. The PS3 may beat the 360 in Japan, but I doubt it will matter that much when it comes to the difference in the US market.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:
Seems like alot of these posts would have you believe that MS would sit on their ass and twidle their thumbs while Sony executes offensive manuevers like cranking out new exclusives or dropping hardware prices.

"We dont need to do a thing! Lets just ride on the success of Gears and Halo3 till the end of this console war!" NOT.

The Microsoft entity knows how to roll with the punches too you know. And Im sure there is stuff in 2008 and 2009 we dont even know about yet from ALL camps.

@Leo-j : A 399$ PS3 would end this battle you think? And if the Xbox with hdmi +HD drops to 299? Then what?

How can you be sure the MS has the means to push out that many titles? Sony employs a breadth of developers working on titles in all genres. SCEA Santa Monica? Naughty Dog? Team Ico? Polphony Digital? MS, not so much. If they could just make games at will, they would have done so last generation. Sure they bought Rare and formed Mystwalker, but that's still little in comparison to Sony and Nintendo.

Hell, even Nintendo, the best firsty party dev of them all, got bested by the ps1.

Seems like alot of these posts would have you believe that MS has the developing power of Nintendo and Sony. ;)

Irrelevant really. Third party is just as important as first party development. Look at Nintendo, they have tons of first party titles that didnt really help them the last couple times. The current situation has alot of third parties looking away from Sony, weve already seen the effect this is having.Last generation, MS learned alot of lessons which they employing in full this time around.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

@sieaner

SONY IS NOT SEGA!!!! THEY DESTROYED NINTENDO 2 TIMES IN A ROW!!!!!! Sorry I had to say it you kept comparing them with sega. Also sony forced sega out.

mM
friedtofu said:
makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:
Seems like alot of these posts would have you believe that MS would sit on their ass and twidle their thumbs while Sony executes offensive manuevers like cranking out new exclusives or dropping hardware prices.

"We dont need to do a thing! Lets just ride on the success of Gears and Halo3 till the end of this console war!" NOT.

The Microsoft entity knows how to roll with the punches too you know. And Im sure there is stuff in 2008 and 2009 we dont even know about yet from ALL camps.

@Leo-j : A 399$ PS3 would end this battle you think? And if the Xbox with hdmi +HD drops to 299? Then what?

How can you be sure the MS has the means to push out that many titles? Sony employs a breadth of developers working on titles in all genres. SCEA Santa Monica? Naughty Dog? Team Ico? Polphony Digital? MS, not so much. If they could just make games at will, they would have done so last generation. Sure they bought Rare and formed Mystwalker, but that's still little in comparison to Sony and Nintendo.

Hell, even Nintendo, the best firsty party dev of them all, got bested by the ps1.

Seems like alot of these posts would have you believe that MS has the developing power of Nintendo and Sony. ;)

Irrelevant really. Third party is just as important as first party development. Look at Nintendo, they have tons of first party titles that didnt really help them the last couple times. The current situation has alot of third parties looking away from Sony, weve already seen the effect this is having.Last generation, MS learned alot of lessons which they employing in full this time around.

90% of 3rd parties are multiplat.  Aside from a few key 3rd party exclusives, it boils down to 1st party.

Even if yous till count 3rd party, I'm pretty sure FF, MGS, and Tekken can take on Infinite Undiscovery, Splinter Cell: Convictions, and DoA.  Even taking preference out of this, the former three generally sell much better than the latter (aside from IU, as that's a new IP).

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

This makes sense. Depends how fast the gaps shrink. I think the PS3 will eventually become a force in Japan, while the 360 will struggle to reach 500,000.

If the 360 can hold a substantial NA lead then, it will be a very close 2nd - 3rd place. Europe can go either way.

PS360 ftw!

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

leo-j said:
@sieaner

SONY IS NOT SEGA!!!! THEY DESTROYED NINTENDO 2 TIMES IN A ROW!!!!!! Sorry I had to say it you kept comparing them with sega. Also sony forced sega out.

So what Sony beat ninty and sega?

There is far more than a passing semblance between the PS3 and the Sat. 

-Companies that misjudged where gaming was going. 

-Expensive at launch. 

-Hard to program for. 

-Going up against a "new" competitior (aka wii). 

-Claims that strong exclusives would save it. 

-Good Japanese support.

-Well established brand name.

Not a perfect comparison, but one that is valid and is great for explaining this to you; The saturn was very popular with hardcore gamers, especially in Japan. In fact, most people in Japan felt that the Saturn was a real gamers console. Because of this, the Sat sold quite well for #2 in Japan, but it bombed in the US.

Personally, I see the PS3 as performing like the Sat in Japan and like the 64 in the US. Not spectacular, but not bad either. However, I fully expect Sony to take things in a completly different direction next gen and try to revive/reinvent the playstation - making people forget about the PS3s failings.

(lol what if this is bait)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:
makingmusic476 said:
friedtofu said:

90% of 3rd parties are multiplat. Aside from a few key 3rd party exclusives, it boils down to 1st party.

Even if yous till count 3rd party, I'm pretty sure FF, MGS, and Tekken can take on Infinite Undiscovery, Splinter Cell: Convictions, and DoA. Even taking preference out of this, the former three generally sell much better than the latter (aside from IU, as that's a new IP).

Ive noticed that the "let me list a bunch of games to show how well xyz system is gonna do" argument doesnt really work to try and help make a point. There are too many posts here like that, the thing is we really dont know how well the games are going to do or the impact they are going to have.

I mean it wasnt too long ago people were like "Well wait till Ninja Gaiden Sigma comes out! Then followed soon by Warhawk, Lair etc etc....omg its gonna rule!" And we can see how that all went. Blue Dragon didnt have as big a splash as I thought it would on the other hand Bioshock was quite a surprise as it got more reviews and exposure.

So yah debating by spouting upcoming games lists is ...meh. Doesnt really tell us much.

PS360 ftw!

I'm actually surprised this didn't turn out worse because he said wii will take frist place easily and no one commented on that.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Too much to read.

However, my point on the whole thing is

NA = Wii>360>>PS3
Japan = Wii>>>PS3>>360
Other = Wii>PS3>360

To me this means that eventually when a PS3 will pass 360 worldwide. As my sig says NOT in 2008.