By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Play Wii games off an HDD. Its a reality. (Just like the hospital Wiis.)

Its a pitty hacks like these happen

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

Around the Network

I remember one thing. I was extreme piracy like this that screwed the PSP and the UMD format.

I all started just like this.

One_touch_KO said:
I remember one thing. I was extreme piracy like this that screwed the PSP and the UMD format.

No, there is a fairly massive difference ... the PSP, Dreamcast and Nintendo DS can all be hacked without a hardware modification while the Wii still needs a hardware mod.

As an amazingly rough guestimate, I think that you can prevent 66% of people from stealing software by ensuring that people have to open the case and modify hardware ... Most people are not very comfortable dealing with hardware and are (somewhat) worried about having to replace a $250 peice of hardware if they make a mistake.

One_touch_KO said:

It was not just like this. PSP had it much sooner, and UMD was a new format.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

HappySqurriel said:
One_touch_KO said:

No, there is a fairly massive difference ... the PSP, Dreamcast and Nintendo DS can all be hacked without a hardware modification while the Wii still needs a hardware mod.

As an amazingly rough guestimate, I think that you can prevent 66% of people from stealing software by ensuring that people have to open the case and modify hardware ... Most people are not very comfortable dealing with hardware and are (somewhat) worried about having to replace a $250 peice of hardware if they make a mistake.

That hasn´t been rue for a while now.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

piracy acually helps console sales, but hurts game sales.. the whole reason why i bought a ps1

Who needs a hard drive, I have a 32GB SD card plugged into mine right now. Won't be too long before Nintendo does another firmware update and I can use a 64MB or higher. It won't be too long before HDDs are a dead format.

^
It also supports SD card launch.

HappySqurriel said:
One_touch_KO said:

No, you're wrong. To mod the wii, you don't have to do a hardware mod, I won't get into it because I don't know how mods feel about homebrew, but I homebrewed my friend's wii with a simple SD card and twilight princess *hint* *hint*

Finnbar said:
Its a pitty hacks like these happen

Why? Tjis is the best thing ever, now I can put all my games on a harddrive or sa card and never need to use the discs again (in my case the dvd drive broke on my Wii 1 week before this was released so it saved me from buying a new Wii).

This has nothing to do with playing pirated games, you can install this and still not bein able to play burned games.

This is more like MS update where you could install your games on your HD and that is a good thing.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.