By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs or JRPGs and why?

shio said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/reply.php?thread=69169&quote=2055882
Akvod said:
chris1_16 said:

I'd say WRPG.

Not to say that I don't love JRPGs but I'm just not a fan of the whole strategy combat thing (even though I'm use to it) and JRPGs have weird looking protagonist (not that its a bad thing)

I think the weaknesses of WRPGs is combat, and that although their openess is a plus and adds to the role playing part, it can also hurt in that the story can't really be controlled in positive manner by the writers, and they have to design a story with multiple endings in mind.

The characters in WRPGs are weaker IMHO, notably because you play as one character instead of a dedicated party that follows you and interacts with you. They're usually one shot characters for a quest.

You don't know what you're talking about. The best videogame story ever is Planescape: Torment, a pure WRPG. WRPGs actually have a much higher writing and narrative quality than JRPGs and also make much better and original stories and characters.

As for the combat, I suggest you take a look at Baldur's Gate 2, which blows away any RPG combat system in terms of tactics, customization and strategy.

I respect your opinion, but I defintely know what my opinion is and what I just said...

Around the Network

JRPG...

i can't stand WRPG...i feel like i'm playing a single player version of Diablow or WOW...i find both games boring...and being single player makes it even more boring

i like storylines

u need to ask?
JRPG

shio said:
Akvod said:
chris1_16 said:

I'd say WRPG.

Not to say that I don't love JRPGs but I'm just not a fan of the whole strategy combat thing (even though I'm use to it) and JRPGs have weird looking protagonist (not that its a bad thing)

I think the weaknesses of WRPGs is combat, and that although their openess is a plus and adds to the role playing part, it can also hurt in that the story can't really be controlled in positive manner by the writers, and they have to design a story with multiple endings in mind.

The characters in WRPGs are weaker IMHO, notably because you play as one character instead of a dedicated party that follows you and interacts with you. They're usually one shot characters for a quest.

You don't know what you're talking about. The best videogame story ever is Planescape: Torment, a pure WRPG. WRPGs actually have a much higher writing and narrative quality than JRPGs and also make much better and original stories and characters.

As for the combat, I suggest you take a look at Baldur's Gate 2, which blows away any RPG combat system in terms of tactics, customization and strategy.

Jesus Christ, the guy states an OPINION and you through a piss-fit over it?

Anyways, JRPG for me. Shin megami tensei owns my soul.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*

I haven't played a lot of WRPGs but I like both. I like RPGs in general. Can't we all just get along?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Jrpg's seem to be unable to evolve. They tell a decent story, but they don't involve the player as much as wrpg's. Wrpg's seem to be less afraid of breaking new ground.

Wrpg's Ftw.

nice

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

shio said:
Akvod said:
chris1_16 said:

I'd say WRPG.

shio's opinion = Law??

4 ≈ One

JRPGs for me are above WRPG. I just love the way JRPGs can pull you emotionally into the story to the point of shedding a tear. No WRPG has done that for me. Stories and character development are just done better in JRPGs (thoough there are a few gems in WRPGs).

The 1 thing i do like about WRPGs is that it gives you options (good or bad) and multiple endings.

I have question. If RPG means Role Play which Role means you become the person. How is that a game where you have no substantial choices in development of your character and more importantly no choices in how your character makes choices in the game world be classified as an RPG?

In understand the argumentative point that RPG is about character advancement, but it's not. Also games like FF don't really let you advance noticeably outside of certain predetermined designs. While FF has been prone to include the magical alternate advancement, gear and levels tend to drive characters on a predetermined course of killing growth.

So I am asking to understand from the JRPG Gamer perspective what justifies JRPG as an RPG to a person who has been playing Pen and Paper RPG for 20 years? because I don't get it. Though I still enjoy the JRPG for story so I'm not saying they are bad games.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

.jayderyu said:
I have question. If RPG means Role Play which Role means you become the person. How is that a game where you have no substantial choices in development of your character and more importantly no choices in how your character makes choices in the game world be classified as an RPG?

In understand the argumentative point that RPG is about character advancement, but it's not. Also games like FF don't really let you advance noticeably outside of certain predetermined designs. While FF has been prone to include the magical alternate advancement, gear and levels tend to drive characters on a predetermined course of killing growth.

So I am asking to understand from the JRPG Gamer perspective what justifies JRPG as an RPG to a person who has been playing Pen and Paper RPG for 20 years? because I don't get it. Though I still enjoy the JRPG for story so I'm not saying they are bad games.

Consider it an RPG in it's battle system rather than it's narative then. Plus the FF (and RPGs as a whole) have past the D&D roots for a while now.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*