By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Still don't understand why the N64 wasn't the #1 console of that gen?

Xen said:
Only that with these god awful textures Nintendo's games definetely weren't of the highest graphic quality possible. See Crash Bandicoot 3 and Gran Turismo 2 for the PS1. That's the highest quality possible!

This is silly. N64 was twice as powerful in that department. 

Crash Bandicoot 3?  Really?  C'mon.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
Because Nintedo was dealing with Sony and than betrayed them and Sony launched their own console. Sony actually agreed to make CD drive for N64 but than Nintendo betrayed them and went to Philiphs. Sony was pissed off and they launched their own console. Nintendo shouldn't mess with Sony back than.

Don't you guys remember??

Get your facts straight Nintendo didn´t betray Sony, it was Sony trying to fuck Nintendo with a little clausul hidden in the contract that would give away all rights to games produced for the cd to Sony wich would mean that Sony would own all Nintendos IP´s by now if Nintendo didn´t back out of that deal.

Do your research and you will see it was Sony screwing over Nintendo by stealing the techinfo they got to see and used it in the PS 1 and not only that they did the same thing to Sega.

They combined the tech from both those companies and made PS 1 they didn´t even have a single idea for themselves untill PS 2 and got into the buisness by stealing and moneyhating.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

It was one fo the best looking PS1 games. You can also see Retro Helix 2 for the absolute best one.

Sure it was more powerful. Thrice, actually. But this power wasn't used to its full because of some limitations.

disolitude said:
N64 had the best games? don't make me laugh.

Rare saved it from being the console with least great games that gen... but they are nowhere near the PS1s library of amazing games. If I had a choice today, Id actually have the saturn over n64 due to the fact I love SHMUPS and fighters...neither of which exists on n64. What am I saying...I have a saturn :)

You are right on one thing and that is PS 1 library was bigger and with amazing games but the best games on that gen was on N64 wich also was the best console spec vise

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Xen said:
It was one fo the best looking PS1 games. You can also see Retro Helix 2 for the absolute best one.

Sure it was more powerful. Thrice, actually. But this power wasn't used to its full because of some limitations.

Yeah, but the N64 games looked much better.  That was my point.

My point is that graphics are not at the top of most console buyers lists, then or now, are they?  

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

PS1 was the new hip thing to own, It was seen as an adults console too. All 3rd party support starting flocking to PS1 as it was cheap and easy to develop for. Games like GT, MGS1 and Tekken proved to the world that games can be mature and appeal to an older audience aswell.

amp316 said:
Xen said:

My point is that graphics are not at the top of most console buyers lists, then or now, are they?  

Well it does play some importance but I don't recall the most powerful console ever winning a console war.

amp316 said:
Xen said:

Well, I can agree with that. The Wii only consolidates that further.

mjc2021 said:
amp316 said:
Xen said:

Well it does play some importance but I don't recall the most powerful console ever winning a console war.

SNES

vaio said:
BladeOfGod said:
Because Nintedo was dealing with Sony and than betrayed them and Sony launched their own console. Sony actually agreed to make CD drive for N64 but than Nintendo betrayed them and went to Philiphs. Sony was pissed off and they launched their own console. Nintendo shouldn't mess with Sony back than.

Don't you guys remember??

Get your facts straight Nintendo didn´t betray Sony, it was Sony trying to fuck Nintendo with a little clausul hidden in the contract that would give away all rights to games produced for the cd to Sony wich would mean that Sony would own all Nintendos IP´s by now if Nintendo didn´t back out of that deal.

Do your research and you will see it was Sony screwing over Nintendo by stealing the techinfo they got to see and used it in the PS 1 and not only that they did the same thing to Sega.

They combined the tech from both those companies and made PS 1 they didn´t even have a single idea for themselves untill PS 2 and got into the buisness by stealing and moneyhating.

So, Sony should make CD drive for Nintendo console and NINTENDO SHOULD TAKE ALL THE PROFIT?????

And Its only Nintendo's fault they lost 2 generations. If they didn't tuned to Philiphs they wouldn't get owned in next 2 gens.

''Sony screwing over Nintendo by stealing the techinfo''

That's why Nintendo turned to Sony and made them make CD drive for their console??? What a bad decision. Why didn't Nintendo made CD drives themselfes back than???