By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Still don't understand why the N64 wasn't the #1 console of that gen?

The Anarchyz said:
Mr.Y said:

People love load screens and emo JRPG characters.

This "emo JRPG characters" is getting really old... 1. The horrible emo culture didn't exist back in the PS1 era, so really, the emos are using "cloud-like haircuts" not the other way around, 2. The JRPG character art was inspired from the Japanese art, not by an American trend...

I wasn't asserting any of this, by emo I was refering to "emotional." Anyways, I was just kiddin.

Around the Network

1: No cd's

2: Games took too long to be released

3: Games were more expensive

4: The 64 didn't attract the older demographic as effectively as the ps1 did

5: Was more expensive to develop for

6: 3rd parties pretty much hated nintendo at that point.

I owned a 64 and I don't regret it but it was obvious that the ps1 was going to be bigger.

I miss the old catridge days.... no load time times

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
I miss the old catridge days.... no load time times

DS. Hello?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It is simple, ps1 had a better library.

Around the Network

I'm the kind of person that usually stay calm and nice, but this thread deserve a shout in the face and its no offense but what the fucking point of this fuck thread when the whole god damn world already know why the fucking hell nintendo failed with their N64 crap, and dont get me wun rong I love snes product but nintendo have totally bid on the wrong horse because of the arrogant shit. The answer is already shown infront of you and you still asking this bull crap for whatever you trying to achieve, then you should expect getting yelled at. I know the Wii is a run away success but braging about past product dont prove shit.

my two cent, enjoy whatever console you own and move on predicting the future out come.

Pk9394 said:
I'm the kind of person that usually stay calm and nice, but this thread deserve a shout in the face and its no offense but what the fucking point of this fuck thread when the whole god damn world already know why the fucking hell nintendo failed with their N64 crap, and dont get me wun rong I love snes product but nintendo have totally bid on the wrong horse because of the arrogant shit. The answer is already shown infront of you and you still asking this bull crap for whatever you trying to achieve, then you should expect getting yelled at. I know the Wii is a run away success but braging about past product dont prove shit.

my two cent, enjoy whatever console you own and move on predicting the future out come.

Calm down buddy. Go rub one out and call it a night.

Lol, both the PS1 and the Saturn have the better games, what the hell are you talking about?

@mjc2021
seriously this been discussed many times and the op still pull this out, whats the point of this? its been said and done 2 generation ago.

I'm not trying to down play the n64 because I own one and still love playing NWO or SSB on it sometime when friend come over, its a mindless fun. Come on give it a rest, we all know the lack of CD support force all 3rd party developer to jump ship to its competitors.

PS1 disrupted the industry in the same way that Wii is doing now. You can't blame just one particular thing that the N64 did wrong like saying carts were the reason. It was a combination of things and the fact that the PS1 did things better in the eyes of consumers.

Besides a few things I noticed were..

- N64 had no decent fighters. Super Smash Bros. not good enough for you?
- OoT is the best game of all time. Never owned it but had a N64, I prefer MM.
- PS1 had more power. LOL that sounds like the people who think GameCube was the weakest system last gen. Obviously you guys don't know the facts.
- Third party support determines the winner. I think all will aagree with me when I say that the Wii is the winner of this generation but has the least 3rd party support. Although it may have the most exclusives and maybe that's the diffenrence?

Another problem with saying OoT was a reason to own it was that it came out in the middle of the N64's life.. It was too late to change the tide.. Just as many of the 64's best games.. They were all released later rather than earlier..