By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Still don't understand why the N64 wasn't the #1 console of that gen?

I know the "Get N or Get Out" kind of mad some parents angry but I still don't understand.

I mean, in my opnion, it has a great library of games.

Could somebody care to explain to me?

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

nintendo didnt use cd for their games. cartridge got outdated by then. same with gamecube. they didnt use regular cd.

Developers left the system, and Sony was reaching for markets that Nintendo was ignoring.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It took AGES for N64 titles to come out. I remember waiting months for a title to come out. True, the N64 had better versions of some titles, but they'd be lacking the FMV or voice acting/soundtracks of the PS1 counterparts, too. PS1 games were coming out more frequently, in more genres, for a lower price. At the end of every year, it was apparent that the N64 had the BEST games........but the PS1 always had the MOST games.

=in my opinion=

Lots of reasons:
- at the time, carts were seriously inferior. They were too small, and too expensive.
- the N64 was underpowered. The PSX/PS1 has significantly better polygon throughput - and even though the N64 has "prettier" polygons, with extra work PS1 games were a lot better.
- because of the cart cost, 3rd-parties shied away from the N64. It was too hard to make a profit.

In the end, PSX had more better games. Technically it was easier to make something cool, with the space on a CD a big part of the reason (unlimited content basically).

I really, really hope we see a new console without disc based media soon (web is taking over really). Carts are so big now, and there are significantly technical advantages of carts vrs disc media.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Uh, well, all in all the PS1 had more/better games. (Yes, I loved the N64 and its games but unless you only bought one game every other month, there just wasn't enough there to satisfy.)

Mystery solved.

shokenchi said:
nintendo didnt use cd for their games. cartridge got outdated by then.

This.

Plus..

N64 used an oudated more expensive format to develop for plus N64 was not easy to program,not as hard as Saturn but a pain still.

PS1 was easy and cheap to develop for so 3rd parties flocked to that system like moths to a flame so it not only had more games but many more great games and most of the greatest games it had was 3rd party.

N64 had a few wonderful games but any success N64 had was 1st party for the most part. Yes N64 did bring analog and some classics in gaming but PS1 improved the analog and had many more classics. Also prices on N64 games didn't help either from 60$-70$ while PS1 games sold for 40$ standard.   Lets not forget it was also a time when Nintendo still had the Kiddy image and PS1 took gaming from kids basements into college dorms.(Sega almost broke the niche image with Genesis but not quite)

Don't get me wrong I loved my N64 and still do and still play it but Nintendo shot themselves in the foot because they got too arrogant.

Besides the CD Sony´s money hatting secured them the victory just as MS is doing to Sony now.

Those are the biggest reasons

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

N64 had the entire core market but Sony had all the casuals

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I think price was a big factor. If I remember right, PS1 games were $50 and N64 games were $70 or $75.

(US dollars)

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)