By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could NPD be Wrong?

wholikeswood said:

Fanboys side with whichever favours them, just like with Famitsu reviews.

You should post more. I agree with this

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

@ dclKeeL

Wow.....that is one crazy conspiracy theory.

Oh, and the whole, "Something's gotta be amiss" regarding Sony's previous dominance and now.....lack of dominance.

It happened to Nintendo, only Sony was the one dominating them rather quickly.

Sony choose to push the Blu-Ray format from the start, when development of said technology was/is rather pricy. I think the PS3 is an amazing console, but that console comes at a price. In a tough economic world, price can be/is an issue.

Why all the NPD hate here?

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all consider the NPD numbers as a very accurate. And they know as they have their own internal shipping numbers and channel inputs to correlate with.

One of them (I think Microsoft) even said at one point that "they were amazed with the accuracy of NPD" (I will try to find a link).

The fact that all the console manufacturers agree that these are the definitive industry numbers should carry much more weight then the opinions of armchair analysts on the VGC forums.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Personally I am a Sony fanboy and I have no beef with NPDS.
Honestly the activity I see at my local BestBuy ( which is very sketchy I know) doesn't confirm PS3 selling almost as well as Xbox360..........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

TheTruthHurts! said:
@ dclKeeL

Wow.....that is one crazy conspiracy theory.

Oh, and the whole, "Something's gotta be amiss" regarding Sony's previous dominance and now.....lack of dominance.

It happened to Nintendo, only Sony was the one dominating them rather quickly.

Sony choose to push the Blu-Ray format from the start, when development of said technology was/is rather pricy. I think the PS3 is an amazing console, but that console comes at a price. In a tough economic world, price can be/is an issue.

You do realize i was being annoyingly sarcastic right? My point is that there is so much fanboyism in this site that people start questioning official entities because they don't reflect the outcomes that they want.

I prefer the 360 but recognize that the ps3 is an awsome console, i just like the 360 better. But i would never question an entity like NPD because the upcoming halo 3 expansion pack sells under 300k first week and 1 million lifetime. I'd just be incredibly surprised and say **CK!!

Around the Network

I speak only for myself, both sides suffer from an overly active fanboy gland which causes them to spew incoherent and unresonable rants on this site. 360 and ps3 fans alike.

No, NPD is truth himself.

@ dclKeeL

Oh.....my bad.....my sarcasm detector must need calibration this morning.

I too love my 360.....it is awesome. I do recognize the PS3 as a great console, but already have a stand-alone BR player so at $400, it does not warrant a purchase for me. Price-cut.....maybe,.....but that is a maybe. My Wii60 keeps me plenty busy....:)

My point was not entirely directed at you, I was just making a point that is all.

I agree with you regarding the NPD information. I consider it the most accurate, so when it doesn't show the numbers fans of "said console" are looking for it is amusing to sift through the responses.

Can anyone tell me how NPD works? Do they report historical figures? How do they correct for over/underestimates made in the past? Are these ever reported?

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

@amirnetz: But we don't get the full NPD data. Most importantly we don't get adjustments (see my previous post).

It's not about being an armchair analyst, it's looking at things with a critical mindset.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957