By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could NPD be Wrong?

coolguy said:
NPD's accuracy is the best. they are the only company that does this.

Are you joking? A monopoly doesn't have to do anything efficient or significant or effective to stay in business, there is no one else who provides the product. Atleast Vg provides competion in this monopoly now.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Oh and your damn right if you think NPD are going fight tooth and nail to destroy any potential threat. When "they" tell you VG isn't as efficient as them ask yourself whether they have an objective view of the situation first.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

NPD, VG Chartz and just about anyone else doing these sales numbers, are bound to be off to some degree. No one even fully can tell how much sell-through there is of games out there.

Everyone's wrong sometimes, NPD just so happens to be wrong less of the time.

^ People wonder why they invented blue Pepsi, Its because of market research

Around the Network

npd , vgchartz or any body or group numbers are wrong it's a matter of by what % that matters this will very up or down from item to item if anybody wants correct numbers you'll need to have all resells numbers I am more than happy to use vgchartz numbers as a guide not a fact the same with npd

well...if they dont get Wal marts numbers and wal mart has seen increases in sales since the economic downturn, its safe to assume that more people have been shopping at walmart rather than other places. which might be able to cause some odd numbers.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

npd numbers are not and never will be completly correct nor do they claim them to be so why do other people try to claim that they are

NJ5 said:

It's actually pretty easy to prove that NPD's public data isn't completely trustworthy.

They never publish corrections to their past data. This means that either:

1- Their data is always correct the first time (quite unlikely given they don't receive sales data from Walmart and other big retailers)
2- They simply forget about past errors and carry on (adding up several months will result in wrong data, as well as each month's data being sometimes wrong).
3- They adjust for past errors by adjusting later months' data. In this case it's not possible to trust each month's data, since it may be wrong or adjusted up or down to account for past mistakes. At least in this case the sum of several months should be more close to the truth.

Take your pick, since we don't really know what they do. There's no transparency at all with NPD's numbers.

4- They announce any possible corrections/adjustments ONLY to the paying customers.

The only problem with this possibility is there would bound to be a leak or two here and there. So with the lack of these leaks I'd lean towards option 3 myself.

NPD is inaccurate confirmed.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."