By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Out of Pokémon, Mario and The Sims, which is most popular and successful?

wfz said:
lolita said:
Gearbox said:
ahaha the sims did not sell 100 million copeis of one and 2. they sold a hundred million copies of 1, 2 and all their bullshit expansions (like all 10 of them)

I happen to love their "bullshit" expansions which add new and fun gameplay.

This is more of a reply to your last post lolita, but you don't think the Mario spinoffs added much to gameplay compared to the Sim's expansions? Considering that almost every single Mario game is different, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that, so I just wanted to make sure I didn't misinterpret your original post in this thread.

What I meant, maybe my phrasing was bad, is that with Sims you can add all expansions together to the basegame. So it adds gameplay to the basegame. They're not seperate tittles like Mario. Say you can't mix Super Mario World with Paper Mario. I have no issues with Mario games and spin offs, I love them. I'm just trying to make people see the difference here between the two.

Around the Network
Cougarman said:
TheSoldier00 said:
Cougarman said:
way to ignore about 30 of the sims spin offs, mario is the most popular name in gaming.

Agree on the character Mario, but The Sims series, I believe, is so many times more successful than the Mario franchise it's ridiculous.

By the time a fourth Sims game will have hit the market, the series will have sold more than 150 million units, closing in on the 200-games Mario.

it is more popular as a game too, if you just look at the sales of first sims game on PC/GC/PS2 combined is outsold by super mario bros 3 on nes and GBA combined, i am not counting add-on sales or mario spin-offs here just one game against another.

Though you need to think - if there would only be 2 Mario games - to make it fair - with a few expansions, the Mario franchise would have got owned by The Sims series, which makes The Sims the most successful ever, if you think about it, easily tearing apart Pokémon and simply above Mario.

Carl2291 said:
TheSoldier00 said:
Carl2291 said:
Pokemon for the following reasons...
Games.
Trading Cards.
Anime.
Manga.
Films.
And probably countless other things ive missed on that list.

But i agree with the OP... The Sims is massive, imagine the sales for it if there was no Pirated games.
My list goes Pokemon > Sims > Mario

OK, just as you know, I mainly talk about super blockbusters in gaming. Did Pokémon start as a game, does anyone know?

Yeah Pokemon was a game first... then it got transformed int owhat it is today.

And as wfz just said, there is even a Pokemon theme park...

And ill just add that Pikachu is more recognisable than Mario, anyday of the week.

Cool, where is Pokémon most popular?

And no, sorry, you can't say that, simply because it is wrong. Mario's the dude.

TheSoldier00 said:
Carl2291 said:
Pokemon for the following reasons...
Games.
Trading Cards.
Anime.
Manga.
Films.
And probably countless other things ive missed on that list.

But i agree with the OP... The Sims is massive, imagine the sales for it if there was no Pirated games.
My list goes Pokemon > Sims > Mario

OK, just as you know, I mainly talk about super blockbusters in gaming. Did Pokémon start as a game, does anyone know?

Pokemon was a game first with Red/Green/Blue, the anime took off like 2 years later...

And every chapter in the anime (except Orange Islands) is based on the Pokemon games...

TheSoldier00, please clarify your sales numbers is 100 millions copies for only the base games The Sims and The Sims 2 or for this :

- The Sims
- Livin' Large
- House Party
- Hot Date
- Vacation
- Unleashed
- Superstar
- Makin' Magic
- The Sims 2
- University
- Nightlife
- Open for Business
- Pets
- Seasons
- Bon Voyage
- FreeTime
- Apartment Life
- Stuff packs
- Life Stories
- Pet Stories
- Castaway Stories
- MySims Kingdom
- MySims Party
- MySims Racing
Console
- The Sims
- The Sims: Bustin' Out
- The Urbz
- The Sims 2
- The Sims 2: Pets
- The Sims 2: Castaway
- The Sims 2: Apartment Pets
- The Sims Online (EA Land)
- The Sims Carnival

Because there is a big difference between two games selling 100 million and two games and a bunch of expansions selling 100 million.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TheSoldier00 said:
Cougarman said:
TheSoldier00 said:
Cougarman said:
way to ignore about 30 of the sims spin offs, mario is the most popular name in gaming.

Agree on the character Mario, but The Sims series, I believe, is so many times more successful than the Mario franchise it's ridiculous.

By the time a fourth Sims game will have hit the market, the series will have sold more than 150 million units, closing in on the 200-games Mario.

it is more popular as a game too, if you just look at the sales of first sims game on PC/GC/PS2 combined is outsold by super mario bros 3 on nes and GBA combined, i am not counting add-on sales or mario spin-offs here just one game against another.

Though you need to think - if there would only be 2 Mario games - to make it fair - with a few expansions, the Mario franchise would have got owned by The Sims series, which makes The Sims the most successful ever, if you think about it, easily tearing apart Pokémon and simply above Mario.

yes off course 2 mario games would get outsold by the sims  plus the expansions, since the expansions are owned by the same people who own the original sims it is not being bought by new players so this makes it hard to know if the sims is really more popular than mario series, dont get me wrong the sims is very popular franchise with amazing sales and huge fanbase, i just dont see it being as popular as mario.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

go The Sims!

I'd go with Pokemon>Mario>Sims largely due to the amount of time which the former two have been successful. Basically Mario and Pokemon are assured to be popular for pretty much forever, Sims not so much.

Commercial success, Pokemon.

Critical success, Mario.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I really hate Mario, always hated him, and the Sim too, but no one can dispute that Mario is the biggest in video game history.