By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The "If XXX console came out at $yyy.yy price argument", and why its WRONG.

@Smashchu,

The reason I asked if you had read the thread was because your points were all issues I had already addressed, and I felt that if you had read the thread you would have at least responded to the points I had already raised in response to others holding your position. At the risk of being rude I must say I am not sure you have read the thread yet still, but if you haven't please read it before you post again, or at least read all of my posts as I think they can provide some insight into my thinking and answer some of your questions.

I have to say I take issue with this idea that the PS3 cannot attain a price point of $400 on at least one SKU in the foreseeable future, but that debate is for another thread I suppose. For now suffice it to say that example is not entirely out of the realm of possibility and so I have no issue with it as there are scenarios that within a year I can see bringing the PS3 price down to that level or near it.

Which brings me to my point once again, this has nothing to do with reasonable hypothetical future situations. It actually is primarly focused at the unreasonable past hypotheticals. We actually get a lot of unreasonable future hypotheticals on this site and I take no issue with them because 99% of them are in relevant threads where the idea is to make a future prediction and often times people factor their beliefs on price points into that equation. Aside from being on topic they are talking about the future which nobody has an answer to yet, where as with this particular idea we are discussing people are usually daydreaming in the midst of a conversation about how the consoles are selling now...not in the past...not "IF" this or "IF" that....but right here, right now, in reality.

I have yet to hear a single compelling reason that this sort of thing should be left to fester.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Sqrl said:
@Smashchu,

The reason I asked if you had read the thread was because your points were all issues I had already addressed, and I felt that if you had read the thread you would have at least responded to the points I had already raised in response to others holding your position. At the risk of being rude I must say I am not sure you have read the thread yet still, but if you haven't please read it before you post again, or at least read all of my posts as I think they can provide some insight into my thinking and answer some of your questions.

I read it, but I went back over it again. You seemed to say things that were not dirrectly to the staement. I assum this was to back the claim on how companies chose the price of the console.

Now I ment to do this post a while ago, but I'm lazy, so.........

The thing is, like I said, it's a subjuctive phrase. Meaning, that it's true by definition, but is not practical to the real world. Example, "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy a lot of games". If I had a million dollars, would I buy a bunch of games? Yes. Could I buy a bunch of games if I had a million dollars. Yes. Will I have a million dollars at one point in time to do this? Probobly not. That's the idea.

Now, for the topic. "If the PS3 was 400$, it would sell better". If the PS3 was 400$, would it sell better? Yes. Can the PS3 BE 400$? Yes. Can Sony sell it for 400$, make a profit (or not take a huge lose) and not strip it down in any way? No. That's the idea. A subjuctive phrase can be true, but does not relate to the real world. That's the idea. The phrase in the topic is a subjunctive phrase, so by definition, it doesn't relate to the real world, and isn't practicle. Easy awnser.

I must say though. The reason I assum you brought this up is becuase people have been saying it. Are there a lot of members basing an argument aound this?

P.S. Sorry if I was rude in the begining.

Messed up thread.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

This thread looks errr... unique?

EDIT: nvm, not anymore 

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Sqrl said:
PS - @ChichiriMuyo, Feel free to elaborate on how my post was BS btw, I noticed you said it but didn't really explain what you meant. But I did enjoy the irony of you instructing the rest of not to correct others but to "just ignore what we don't like". When in the exact same post you are doing what you are complaining about by taking issue with us "simple minded" folk who can't just ignore what bothers us.

You've got me there.  :P

However, I did specify that my issue was with making an entire topic to speak out against it.  It's just not necessary.  When someone makes a post you don't like, you can just ignore it.  And if you have a beef about it, why not say so to them in a PM or in that thread instead of trying to make it seem like it's a real issue.  There are entire threads devoted to speculation, and to speak out against those is completely unfair and uncalled for.  Idle speculation in another sort of thread, well, I can see the irritation in that.

And the part about it that is BS is still that you didn't do what your topic claims to do.  You haven't proven why the argument is wrong, only that the arguments shouldn't be made.  Those are two vastly different concepts, regardless of their relationship.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

Smaschu can you fix your post please so its readable =P?

I read the first bit about the "if I had a million dollars", but I think that example is actually a bad one. A better example would probably be "if I had a million dollars a year ago". Since in this case people are talking about the past tense rather than the future. And to talk hypothetically about the past is actually even less relevant than to talk hypothetically about the future.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Smashchu said:
Sqrl said:
@Smashchu,

I read it, but I went back over it again. You seemed to say things that were not dirrectly to the staement. I assum this was to back the claim on how companies chose the price of the console.

Now I ment to do this post a while ago, but I'm lazy, so.........

The thing is, like I said, it's a subjuctive phrase. Meaning, that it's true by definition, but is not practical to the real world. Example, "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy a lot of games". If I had a million dollars, would I buy a bunch of games? Yes. Could I buy a bunch of games if I had a million dollars. Yes. Will I have a million dollars at one point in time to do this? Probobly not. That's the idea.

Now, for the topic. "If the PS3 was 400$, it would sell better". If the PS3 was 400$, would it sell better? Yes. Can the PS3 BE 400$? Yes. Can Sony sell it for 400$, make a profit (or not take a huge lose) and not strip it down in any way? No. That's the idea. A subjuctive phrase can be true, but does not relate to the real world. That's the idea. The phrase in the topic is a subjunctive phrase, so by definition, it doesn't relate to the real world, and isn't practicle. Easy awnser.

I must say though. The reason I assum you brought this up is becuase people have been saying it. Are there a lot of members basing an argument aound this?

P.S. Sorry if I was rude in the begining.

Let's look at it one more time. You say if you had a million dollars you would buy a lot of games. Well, maybe, maybe not. The only thing you can really say is "If I had a million dollars then I would have a million dollars." For instance you could have a million dollars and be stuck on a deserted island with nothing on it but you, your money and sand. Then you couldn't buy any games.