By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Some WiiWare devs were not being paid.

This is a poor article. Why not just reveal how Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are issuing their Xbla, PSN, and Wii ware contracts and the percentage that each publisher receives and the bottom rate that the developer can make from a game with 10 t0 20 downloads. This would provide a balanced comparison and not just a Wii ware focused article that incites fanboys to fill up forms to bash Nintendo or any of the other hardware manufacturers.

IGN needs to stop with the fanboy baiting and be a more responsible and credible news source. There's so much that we do not know about the video game industry and these guys are not doing any thing to educate us.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network

I don't think its a big deal. ~5,000 units seems like a decent min. But, maybe it should be lifted for companies who put out a couple of games.

vonboysp said:
wow, never heard of this, and it sounds a little scary. i was hoping i could maybe one day make a small game for that service or one like it [a dream, really] and this could really keep me away from trying to do that.

if your looking to break in the easiest way is probably Microsoft's XNA Game Studio, with which you can make games for Windows and/or XBox Live, i've worked on 2 games that we were gonna get on Live - although I would love to make a game for a Nintendo system its just not that easy to do.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Wow. Nintendo gets paid, and does not pass it along. I see a law suit coming out of this.

It is always amusing when partial information that puts a single console in an apparent bad light is published like it is news.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
peanut1972 said:
Wow. Nintendo gets paid, and does not pass it along. I see a law suit coming out of this.

i don't think nintendo can get sued, because this stuff was probably stated in some kind of contract that they were required to sign before having their game added.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

People act like this is a new idea, but most publishers of books or music do the same thing. Mid 4-figure range isn't that high on a nearly 50 mil install base.

360 Tag - narfwack

Anyone know how Live Community games work in regards to minimums? There is more than enough on there, and it is fun to download and try something. Maybe even buy stuff every now and then. Nick the Dude also helps point stuff out with his XNA Roundup. Plus Microsoft goes with everything having demos.

Oh stop griping about this being "bad journalism". It's telling us something we didn't know and it's not trying to twist it in to something it isn't.

Anyways, the storage solution is going to be a big factor in improving the download situation. I'm sure a lot of indy game devs saw their games reach that threshold within a week of the SD card update. To keep improving the situation, Nintendo just needs to boost the knowledge of and ease of getting online with the Wii. It is pretty weird that getting online is the third section in the Wii options menu. It's not exactly the friendliest of set up. Maybe if new wii's came with a "get online" button right on the menu (it would go away once you were set up of course), they could go a long way to getting people who wouldn't have even thought of trying to get online to do so.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Oh stop griping about this being "bad journalism". It's telling us something we didn't know and it's not trying to twist it in to something it isn't.

Anyways, the storage solution is going to be a big factor in improving the download situation. I'm sure a lot of indy game devs saw their games reach that threshold within a week of the SD card update. To keep improving the situation, Nintendo just needs to boost the knowledge of and ease of getting online with the Wii. It is pretty weird that getting online is the third section in the Wii options menu. It's not exactly the friendliest of set up. Maybe if new wii's came with a "get online" button right on the menu (it would go away once you were set up of course), they could go a long way to getting people who wouldn't have even thought of trying to get online to do so.

That's quite a good idea. I'd love to see a TV campaign for WiiWare/Virtual Console too. I think if Nintendo pushed the platform a little more then developers would be more willing to support it. Also it would show that Nintendo will reward you if you support their platform with quality titles. 

Getting more people online and also promoting WiiWare/VC outside of the Nintendo Channel would be a good start.