By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Some WiiWare devs were not being paid.

SJGohan3972 said:
vonboysp said:
wow, never heard of this, and it sounds a little scary. i was hoping i could maybe one day make a small game for that service or one like it [a dream, really] and this could really keep me away from trying to do that.

if your looking to break in the easiest way is probably Microsoft's XNA Game Studio, with which you can make games for Windows and/or XBox Live, i've worked on 2 games that we were gonna get on Live - although I would love to make a game for a Nintendo system its just not that easy to do.

That's not entirely true. Some developers have already commented that the required qaulity required for to release on Live is really high and that MS likes to have a hand in developement. This can cause games to pass planned developement times. Small companies maynot be able to afford opperation costs past a few months of their estimation. MS has been reported to be more draconian in their requirements. WiiWare is more viable for small developers, but that 5k limit seems questionable.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
So Nintendo kind of scores around $70,000 for free off the backs of Wiiware devs.

Ouch.

Not really for free as noname2200 said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

so some number in the 1000-9999 units sold. doesn't seem too high to ask for 10k or more for a well made game.

yikes

Now after the SD card update there should be more Wiiware games being sold beacuse most of us who do only download the ones we are sure are good beacuse before we didn't have enough space.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

i have a problem with the thread title, although it is a distinct possibility we dont actually know if there are any devs that havent been paid

noname2200 said:
peanut1972 said:
Wow. Nintendo gets paid, and does not pass it along. I see a law suit coming out of this.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here (I suspect not. However...), but since it's almost certainly spelled out in the contract any lawsuit would get dismissed by summary judgment minutes after going before the judge.

Your not in California are you?  Progressive Judges come up with some strange rulings as they breath new life into the meaning of words.

Sqrl said:
noname2200 said:
peanut1972 said:
Wow. Nintendo gets paid, and does not pass it along. I see a law suit coming out of this.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here (I suspect not. However...), but since it's almost certainly spelled out in the contract any lawsuit would get dismissed by summary judgment minutes after going before the judge.

QFT

This is as stated in the article, a deterrent to developers pushing a ton of crap onto the service.  We are talking about ~5,000 units they have to sell in order to break past this threshold...for a download service fed to some 25 million people (iir the numbers right) being required to get 5,000 sales is not a high hurdle and should not frighten or scare away any legitimate offering.  If you can't make your game appealing enough to 2% of 1% of the available market then you honestly should not be making games.  More importantly you agreed under contract to the stipulation so you legally don't deserve to get paid either.

I can easily see certain judges declaring the contract uncostitutional.

peanut1972 said:
Sqrl said:
noname2200 said:
peanut1972 said:

QFT

This is as stated in the article, a deterrent to developers pushing a ton of crap onto the service.  We are talking about ~5,000 units they have to sell in order to break past this threshold...for a download service fed to some 25 million people (iir the numbers right) being required to get 5,000 sales is not a high hurdle and should not frighten or scare away any legitimate offering.  If you can't make your game appealing enough to 2% of 1% of the available market then you honestly should not be making games.  More importantly you agreed under contract to the stipulation so you legally don't deserve to get paid either.

I can easily see certain judges declaring the contract uncostitutional.

Book publishers have this sort of contract with authors for quite a while now. And the constitution says nothing of the matter about this type of thing. Not to mention I have never heard of any private contracts being declared unconstitutional by the courts. That is for laws, and treaties, and statutes and stuff like that.

peanut1972 said:
vonboysp said:
peanut1972 said:

i don't think nintendo can get sued, because this stuff was probably stated in some kind of contract that they were required to sign before having their game added.

Oh Nintendo can get sued. In fact they get sued a lot. Your point has more to do with who wins the law suit. :p

Nintendo *CAN'T* be sued. No court is going to step on a contract, unless the contract has been broken. So unless a contract is broken, a court won't even allow this to go to trial.

This is the world of publishing. It happens in books, comic books, videogames, etc.. Publishers often set a number that your product has to reach so they can cover their costs first, and then after that threshold is met you can be paid.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!