By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why the PS3 still hasn't been hacked.

Last time a thread about this surfaced and saying the PS3 isn´t hackable or even beeen hacked I informed you that it has beeen hacked and had been for a long while.

One of my friends that does this stuff was working on making the games work straight of the harddrive.

This hack works but it´s so far from stable and has a lot of gamecrashes they haven´t solved, one of the reasons for this is that they spent more time on the other two more ppular consoles and the fact it´s cheaper if you mess up the console.

My friend was on a good way to make it work properly (not him alone but the gathering of his peers) but sometime ago he left the project to start working on running Wii games from a harddrive and thats what he and his fellows are working on now, that and making games work from SD too and untill the his team won´t be finishing their work on the PS3.

But be assured it´s been hacked and they will get around to finish the job so it can be realeased as soon as it´s stable enough for public release.

As for people talking about BD disk protection not being hacked, that was hacked in mere months fter BD release thats why you see BD movie rips everywhere and have been round almost s long as BD have.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

You will be able to tell if and when the PS3 is hacked. Right now you can go to TPB and find a torrent with nearly every game for either of the other systems.

Not so for PS3. Lets keep it that way!

Divx FTW!

So piracy = more $$$ for Sony?

NVM.... I'd rather have this baby unhacked. It seems complete enough.

PSP on the other hand..... I can't live without a CFW!! PSX games for the PSP are a win!

Cobretti2 said:
Zlejedi said:
Cobretti2 said:
to me i think it is much simpler.

Blu Ray blank discs are still pricy and so are the burners. Even if it was hacked you would need to run it of the internal hdd which means you could only have one game at a time.

Isn't the BR today at price levels of DVD in the days when PS2 was hacked ? I'd rather look into higher than average console age of ps3 owners which means they have cash to spend.

no.  BluRay recorders are about $500AU ($350US), and $50AU ($35US) for 50gb SONY disc.

Well at least where I am. When PS2 was hacked DVD-rs where $2AU each here.

Are you sure ? I can buy LG multi format BR and HD-DVD burned for 170 euro, 25 GB verbatim discs for 5 euro and 50 gig TDK disc for 11-12 euro.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

BTW great job NinjaKido!

Around the Network

According to "PS3-hacks" there was a time when there where 330,000 hack groups

working to crack the PS3 protection!!..so what does that means?

PS3 is from the future confirmed

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

City17 said:
BTW great job NinjaKido!

Thanx but all I did was copy & paste lol , the credits go to the original article writer.

Realistically, the PS3 is (probably) as weak to the original hack that worked on both the XBox 360 and Wii where the disc-drive was "tricked" into thinking that a writeable disc was an original game disc ... the problem with this is that you still need the disc image to retain its signing, and Sony's immediate reaction to this would be to release all PS3 games on dual-layer Blu-Ray discs and to fill all the space with garbage before signing the image. While people might be willing to download GTA over a 4 week period its unlikely that you would get many people that motivated to download other games ...

Beyond that, the secondary problem is that (even with getting the PS3 to play unsigned games) it has the same problems that kept the Gamecube from being modded for so long ... The disc format is expensive enough to lower the percentage of people interested in stealing games, the userbase is small, and there is more money in making a better mod for another console than there is in cracking the PS3.

Edit: There is one other thing that has limited PS3 hacking ... (For some unknown reason) there are several really smart people who want to run linux on everything, and since the PS3 can have linux installed on it these people where not looking to find and publish exploitable hacks which are (often) turned into viable mods.

@vaio - If it's not in the public domain and hasn't been confirmed by the scene then it's not been hacked at all. Also this story of running games off the HDD has been around for 2 years and still we see no sign of it working.

Zlejedi said:
Cobretti2 said:
Zlejedi said:
Cobretti2 said:
to me i think it is much simpler.

Blu Ray blank discs are still pricy and so are the burners. Even if it was hacked you would need to run it of the internal hdd which means you could only have one game at a time.

Isn't the BR today at price levels of DVD in the days when PS2 was hacked ? I'd rather look into higher than average console age of ps3 owners which means they have cash to spend.

no.  BluRay recorders are about $500AU ($350US), and $50AU ($35US) for 50gb SONY disc.

Well at least where I am. When PS2 was hacked DVD-rs where $2AU each here.

Are you sure ? I can buy LG multi format BR and HD-DVD burned for 170 euro, 25 GB verbatim discs for 5 euro and 50 gig TDK disc for 11-12 euro.

Triple your prices and that is about Aus prices. it is liek our games have always been 2x US price even when our dollar was 1:1 almost, before the economy crash:

excuse: dollar value (we accepted it)

when 1:1

new excuse: shipping to Aus is expensive (people accepted this lame BS excuse). 

In reality I think our small population is what keep prices double the US no matter what our dollar is worth.