By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The mythical diversified Sony gamer demographic

I buy more PSN titles than PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
NinjaKido said:
MontanaHatchet said:
NinjaKido said:

How anybody is able to say for definete how varied a certain demographic is , is beyond me . It would take some pretty indepth statistical analysis to show exactly how diverse a console's demographic was in comparison to that of another console.

Game sales won't tell you how diverse a demographic is , marketing & promotion , pricing etc could convince a very similar demographic to buy a diverse range of games , games that don't neccaserily agree to their tastes.

Comparing game sales relevant to other consoles won't get you your answer partly because of the last answer , comparing PS3:Wii:360 is also innacurate because of the variance in userbase sizes.

Assuming that a demographic will become more diverse as it becomes large is similar to assuming that a city with 10 million people will have more gay people than a city with 1 million people , it may very well be the case that the number of gay people in the smaller city outnumber the gay people in the larger city 50:1 . We can't just look at things quantativley to reach any sort of serious conclusion , we need to know the qualitive factors and that requires data we don't have access to.

No, it really wouldn't. Common sense will show you that a console with a larger userbase will almost always have more varied demographics than a console with a lower one. This isn't always true (for example, I'm sure that the Gamecube userbase was more varied than the Xbox userbase), but for large userbase differences (PS2 vs. Xbox or Gamecube, DS vs. PSP), it's almost always true.

Your city analogy was terrible. It really was. The difference between a gay and straight person is not the same as the difference between a person who prefers action games to adventure games (not that I'm implying any connection). Cities have way more variety to them then consoles due to the fact that there are thousands of cities in the world in thousands of different locations with thousands of different cultures and customs. How in the world is this in any way similar to the three consoles? And as for your example, what is the likelihood of that? What you're referring to is density of a certain demographic. I don't even think I need to explain further why your analogy was bad. It just was.

I'll take factual data or consistent histroical data over " common sense" any day , and even historical data won't proove much use as the nature of gaming change slightly every generation , this generation probably more so than previous generations. You've already said that your common sense "assertion" isn't stricly true , if this is the case then how can you confidently say that it applies to this generation ?

Your arguing a point you can't proove , i'm arguing not arguing a point other than a point can't be prooven without serious evidence.

My "gay city" analogy was a simiplified explanation of my point , probablity would indicate that a larger demographic would have a more diverse demographic but realsticly any number of situations are possible , that was my point.

So you'd take your data over common sense any day, but then you say that even your data won't do? Why even bother arguing then? Apparently neither of us are right and neither of can be proven right so why don't we just stop arguing right now and go have a nice moonlit walk. I said almost always because in very rare occasions it might not be true and I didn't want to make a definitive statement. I can say it applies to this generation because the stats prove it. Just look at some of the Nielsen charts and see how the Wii has more female users and more young users than either of the HD consoles. No different from the PS2.

I'm arguing a point I can prove. Instead of digging up old demographic reports and proving you wrong the hard way, I've decided to let you go easy and just assume you have common sense. The common sense to realize that with a much larger demographic, there is more diversity. The PS2 had more users from various countries. It was popular in nations where the other consoles were almost unknown. The...demographics...were...more...varied.

It seems you're trying to argue that my point isn't always true, whereas all I'm saying is that the majority of the time it is true and it's been true for every console so far.

"I didn't want to make a definitive statement" EXACTLY , no definitive statements can be made about what we're discussing . Even if we agreed that there was a high probability that X had a more diversified userbase than Y it still wouldn't be defintive , we could still be entirely wrong . I don't know the exact answers , i'm not sure how your so convinced you know the answer , we don't have sufficient information which make can make those kind of definitive answers with.

"Just look at some of the Nielsen charts and see how the Wii has more female users and more young users than either of the HD consoles. No different from the PS2."

Those surverys are heavily open to scrutiny , don't they tend to use very large samples and aren't they based in one geographical area ( North america ?) . Also are you arguing diversification in the actual people ( in terms of age , sex ) or diversification in terms of taste in games ? one might have an affect on the other but they aren't strictly related.

"The common sense to realize that with a much larger demographic, there is more diversity. The PS2 had more users from various countries. It was popular in nations where the other consoles were almost unknown. The...demographics...were...more...varied."

For one the PS2 has userbase sizes which far exceeded that of it's rivals , the % differences in userbase sizes aren't as big as they were last generation .Also I don't think that any of the consoles are like the PS2 , the Wii for one is marketed in a very  different way , this generation shares some similiarities to last gen but I believe this one is very different. Please stop apelaing to "common sense" , it's an artificial (created) concept, one that can be twisted to meet the needs of anyones argument.

"It seems you're trying to argue that my point isn't always true, whereas all I'm saying is that the majority of the time it is true and it's been true for every console so far."

I'm arguing that your point isn't always true and may very well not be true here , i'm also arguing you have no way of definitivley prooving your point . This generation like I said earlier is very different from earlier generations .

I don't see anything in either the 360's or PS3's software figures to suggest was in inherently more varied across demographics than the other. Most multiplatform games sell at a similiar rate across both platforms relative to each console's userbase. A few newly multiplatform titles have shook things up a bit, but that's to be expected because of brand ties and many gamers being second generation gamers or longer. The exclusive game library of both consoles is very similiar in many ways and there is much diversity in both lineups going down the sales.

The only thing I do find a bit funny, which I remember mentioning yesterday in the chatroom, is that COD4 has outsold GTA IV on the 360, but it's vice versa on the PS3.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@NinjaKido

You said that there are data we don't know. And of course the first thing we don't know exactly is how the game genre preferences are in the global population (that would be the "parent distribution").

When a certain number of people buy a console they are sort of moved from the heap of general population to the smaller heap of persons who own that console. How genre preferences are distributed inside the owners population depends by the parent distribution and by the process with which they are moved. Practically it will happen when they buy the console, or one is given to them as a gift :) In statistical terms this is called a "sampling" of the parent distribution, to create a new "child distribution".

All this to say that indeed we don't have enough data, but we know that only very special parent distributions and very special buying patterns would leave the owners' demographic unchanged among all possible ones. So we may assume that it won't happen because it becomes almost impossible when we increase the owners' base (this would be the exponential part)

But I was not trying to quantify how much it would diversify, and if you slow down the process it is indeed gradual.

My point was only saying to kowenicki that what MontanaHatchet rightly called "common sense" is effectively a statistical phenomenon, even though kowenicki was debating that it was not an absolute logic certainty.

I hope to have been clearer.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

yeh...the diversed argument is pretty lame!!!

Around the Network
WereKitten said:

Counting the titles of different genres is not a good indicator if you don't take in account the relative weight (in sales) of those titles.

If you take the top 25 sellers on each platform, categorize them, then calculate the percentage of sales of each category versus total sales of top 25 you get:

PS3     360 FPS                 23.71% 36.44%
Action/Shooter 19.02% 19.39%
Racer               16.01% 4.38%
Action/Adventure 9.69% 11.55% Platformer          6.18% 0.00%
Sport                15.39% 5.14%
Music/Rythm     3.17% 9.81%
RPG                   2.33% 13.30%
Hack/Slash       4.49% 0.00%

Standard deviation     7.26% 10.19%

Draw your own conclusions from the numbers.

Some of my choices for how to categorize some games could be discussed of course, but I think they are reasonable. The detailed data are in a spreadsheet.

I think Kurtosis would be more useful than standard deviation for your purposes. It will give you a measure of the "bunching" of the distribution.

^Indeed, but I only have a basic spreadsheet on this laptop :)
Anyway even the sigma gives a basic measure of variability, given the extremely low number of points.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

find the answers in the Question...

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

I feel the PS3 demografix is more diverse than the X360 but it still dont answer why the overall attach rate of the PS3 is so much worse than the X350.

Why would a wider demografix buy a less total amount of games?

Slimebeast said:
I feel the PS3 demografix is more diverse than the X360 but it still dont answer why the overall attach rate of the PS3 is so much worse than the X350.

Why would a wider demografix buy a less total amount of games?

One answer could be in the thread where theRepublic proposed to consider a different measure rather than the static attach rate, to take into account the effective times the owners had to buy their games.

It makes sense to me.

"..." - Gordon Freeman