By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!CELL can do realtime RAYTRACING with just software!!!!

sieanr said: Quake 3 with raytracing, playable on just about any modern PC with good framerates OMFG P4 IS TEH HAXOR PROCESSOR CELL IS NOTING!!!eleven!!!! CELL outguns just about anything in heavy computational taks including FFT, TRE, CYPTOGRAPHY, STENCIL and LINEAR MATRIX MULTIPLICATION etc. But it fails in many other areas, like branch prediciton. And too bad it's an in order processor but I guess out of order is too advanced and complex for CELL BM(tm), I'll stick to my pentium pro with "backwards" out of order execution. so just wait for some time.............and witness the CELL power!!!! BY june we would have a debate over this. Yes, because K8L will be out then and demolish Cell in almost every way imaginable except meaningless specs. BTW, Crysis looks better than any PS3 game or the Cell raytracing demo you linked to. EDIT: I had no idea pages now scale to posted pics. I thought it would just clip off the edges of the images like before, so sorry if this now wider web page causes problems.
K8l might never be released..........INTEL has plans to release the 80 core chip in 2010 that can do 1 tf.....that is just a simulated chip they were talking. BY that time we would have SUPER CELL for ps4 that could do 100tfs. CELL excels in all areas ...........by a minimum margin of 20x vs QUAD/any pc core . Even the superscalar X1e fails miserably against CELL. ofcourse in 128k matrix multiplication CELL would zap rivals by 100x EDGE is just out so is IRT.............by JUNE pc/x360 wont exist anymore. havent you been witnessing the ps3 storm in terms of MOTORSTORM CRYSIS uses matured pc tools including DX10 as API + it uses the GFX card too. On the other hand ps3 used just the CELL for raytracing......allow some time for utilzation of RSX + integration of IRT + implementation of new RAPIDMIND SDK (EDGE) + optimization from OPEN GL 2.0 and you would clearly see the results. Just wait till LAIR/HEAVENLY SWORD.

Around the Network

washimul said: K8l might never be released..........INTEL has plans to release the 80 core chip in 2010 that can do 1 tf.....that is just a simulated chip they were talking. BY that time we would have SUPER CELL for ps4 that could do 100tfs. CELL excels in all areas ...........by a minimum margin of 20x vs QUAD/any pc core . Even the superscalar X1e fails miserably against CELL. ofcourse in 128k matrix multiplication CELL would zap rivals by 100x EDGE is just out so is IRT.............by JUNE pc/x360 wont exist anymore. havent you been witnessing the ps3 storm in terms of MOTORSTORM CRYSIS uses matured pc tools including DX10 as API + it uses the GFX card too. On the other hand ps3 used just the CELL for raytracing......allow some time for utilzation of RSX + integration of IRT + implementation of new RAPIDMIND SDK (EDGE) + optimization from OPEN GL 2.0 and you would clearly see the results. Just wait till LAIR/HEAVENLY SWORD.
omg. I agree with washimul Intel is gonna be jumping to 80core processors someday in the future. One thing really quick. Last time I checked Cell is already jumping to 100core clusters... just wait till they put 4 or 8 cells on 1 chip... you'd be seeing 1000+ cell clusters running... The Cell is the NEXT supercomputer chip. Intel hasnt EVER held a finger agianst IBMs super computers. Intel, almost got a toe in the market, then BlueGene came out. then 1 year later, the CELL came out. Supercomputers will double in the next 2 years. (in peak performance) useing the CELL... at least.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

wtf was that for? His post was educational. EDIT: Post *then* ban. :)

Stromprophet said:That looks terrible for quake 3, both GoW and Resistance look way better than that.
Maybe because the best modern hardware, including CELL, can do is quake with raytracing. GOW or RFOM are out of the question.
All systems are inefficient in branch prediction, Sony developers "claim" the PS3 is actually more efficient in their experience in working with other processors. "In order" PS3 uses parallel structures for branching, aren't most (ALL) current PCs using series (In order) structures.
Well then, all CPU's are inefficient at everything It's all relative, but Cell is poor with branch prediciton when compared to most desktop cpu. And I was refferring to out of order execution vs in order execution, which has nothing to due with branch prediction, sorry for the confusion.
Anyway, regardless, IBM wouldn't be entering the processor market if they didn't know what they were doing and had a plan to compete with Intel. They believe in the cell structure enough to throw their weight behind it.
What? IBM was out of the processor market? Ever hear of Power PC, you know, the thing in the 360, Wii, GC and what used to be in macs? If IBM beleives in Cell so much than why is most of their resources behind advancing PPC?
Crysis looks better than any game ever made for any console. But it's not going to be looking like that on your system since they are utilizing directx10 (which most people don't have) and as with a lot of PC games they are running it on a card that isn't even available on the market and computers that most people can't afford.
True, but Crysis is running on commercial video cards or atleast this is what they claim on their forums. Developers don't get a ton of engineering samples just to design their games, they use cards that are on the market but often take into consideration what will be on the market when the game is released.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

washimul said:Just wait till LAIR/HEAVENLY SWORD.
I have a feeling we'll be hearing this from PS fans allot. Wait for lair, then MGS4, then FF13, ect. Sounds just like a repeat of saturn days.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

sieanr - you do know that... GC had PPC because CELL was not out. Wii has PPC because CELL was not compatible, and is much more expensive. 360 has PPC becuase... CELL was not out. MAC had PPC because... well... they basically always had PPC. PS3 has CELL... Hmmm.... Because their the early adopter. If you haven't noticed... IBM is moving their supercomputers away from PPC to CELL... ;)

sieanr said: I have a feeling we'll be hearing this from PS fans allot. Wait for lair, then MGS4, then FF13, ect. Sounds just like a repeat of saturn days.
So cute!!! JUST WAIT FOR GOD OF WAR3.... (end sarcasm)

Kwaad said: sieanr - you do know that... GC had PPC because CELL was not out. Wii has PPC because CELL was not compatible, and is much more expensive. 360 has PPC becuase... CELL was not out. MAC had PPC because... well... they basically always had PPC. PS3 has CELL... Hmmm.... Because their the early adopter. If you haven't noticed... IBM is moving their supercomputers away from PPC to CELL... ;)
Most people credit the Gekko (the Gamecube's processor) as being the reason Sony and Microsoft went with IBM to produce their CPUs in this generation; the Performance to Cost ratio on the Gekko was pretty amazing. From the early days of Cell development it was clear that Sony (and toshiba IIRC) were looking at the cell as an opportunity to develop a high end Multimedia DSP to be used in several lines of products (image processing, etc.). The reason IBM is (and will continue to) develop Cell Blades is that for some problems the Cell will outperform intel processors by a wide margin; the reason IBM will continue to make Intel based blade servers is because for most applications it is a better processor.

sieanr said: I have a feeling we'll be hearing this from PS fans allot. Wait for lair, then MGS4, then FF13, ect. Sounds just like a repeat of saturn days. Kwaad said: So cute!!! JUST WAIT FOR GOD OF WAR3.... (end sarcasm)
To a certain extent he is true ... There was always a killer game comming up that was going to put the Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, XBox and Gamecube into the spotlight and save the system ... Regardless, it should be interesting to watch because there has never been a system as far behind as the PS3 that ended up "winning" unless it came out of the gate really strong ...

Kwaad said:GC had PPC because CELL was not out. Wii has PPC because CELL was not compatible, and is much more expensive. 360 has PPC becuase... CELL was not out. MAC had PPC because... well... they basically always had PPC.
You mean none of it has to do with Cell's performance not being the best for everything? Or what about Sony wishing to start putting their investment to work? The PPC chip in GC, Wii and 360 is all custom designed using PPC as it's base, just like Cell. Maybe that was the best solution for their console, but thats crazy talk since Cell doesn't have problems and the SPE's can do soo much beyond vectorization.
If you haven't noticed... IBM is moving their supercomputers away from PPC to CELL... ;)
Not really. Just because they are making some Cell based supercomputers doesn't mean it's the be all end all of supercomputing. It has it's advantages but they are not the best solution for everything, so they will ultimatly suppliment more traditional supercomputers, not replace them