By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!CELL can do realtime RAYTRACING with just software!!!!

linkthe2nd said: You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again.
What a great comparison, an outdated netburst vs the almighty CELL. How fair K8L will wipe the floor with CELL BE (tm)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

linkthe2nd said: You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again. HappySqurriel said: Because he can't provide answers ... I wish the mods would ban him for good ...
Believe me, this is a big, big improvement. I was so happy when I came in here that it wasn't prophesying the death of the Xbox360 or Wii or something like that. Is his argument sound? I don't care. It's not our job to debunk his argument(unless we want to) or lock a thread because the OP is baseless or ban a user because they are a moron. Now that's not to say if someone is running their mouth off we won't pwn their shit every now and then. In fact I, for one, quite enjoy it, but that's beside the point. To earn a ban someone has to break some pretty serious rules, and usually more than once, because we like to think we are as lenient as possible. It is not apparent to me that this particular user has done so, at least not since I've been a mod.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Sintinel said: It's like you want your threads to be locked. I'm not gonna lock this(yet), because I agree with what Ben said: Even though the presentation is absolutely horrid, you do have some content. Your title needs some serious work, however. And I'm not kidding. That title is awful. Please remember that so future threads don't get locked. And I'm watching this thread pretty closely. Drugs are bad, mkay?
Don't like enthusiasm?

Read the post 4 up from this one.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

What an inaccurate, fanboy driven, irrelevant thread. I can't believe this hasn't been locked/deleted. The real-world information alone proves this to be complete crap - i.e. its how PS3 GAMES look and run that matter - not some theoretical, network driven, ray-tracing test.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

shams said: What an inaccurate, fanboy driven, irrelevant thread. I can't believe this hasn't been locked/deleted. The real-world information alone proves this to be complete crap - i.e. its how PS3 GAMES look and run that matter - not some theoretical, network driven, ray-tracing test.
ps3 games were lacking matured tools......ps3 games at the moment may be using just 5% of its actual power. This is why new tools and EDGE were announced at GDC just look at the demo...........CELL +irt raytraces it at 1080p without RSX. i believe with PLAYSTATION EDGE + irt +CELL u wd have just about anything on ps3. trust me after JUNE ......u wd be having SHREK quality games on ps3. i have provided several links............just click on one of them for proof. MOTORSTORM is amazing and i am waiting for LAIR.

shams said: ...I can't believe this hasn't been locked/deleted. The real-world information alone proves this to be complete crap - i.e. its how PS3 GAMES look and run that matter - not some theoretical, network driven, ray-tracing test.
Why?This is'nt misinformation. He's just exited about the possibilities. To misunderstand is one thing, but to misunderstand and judge is another.

Washamule, this wouldn't happen to be you, would it?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

washimul said: This is why new tools and EDGE were announced at GDC just look at the demo...........CELL +irt raytraces it at 1080p without RSX. i believe with PLAYSTATION EDGE + irt +CELL u wd have just about anything on ps3. trust me after JUNE ......u wd be having SHREK quality games on ps3. i have provided several links............just click on one of them for proof. MOTORSTORM is amazing and i am waiting for LAIR.
Look - for starters, YOU started this thread. And instead of sticking with comments about the ray-tracing, just about every post mentions other games, how amazing they are, etc. Please try and stick to your own topic. This alone makes it read like fanboy drivel. Secondly - to claim that you are getting "SHREK" quality, rendered footage from a single PS3 is just ridiculous. A good friend of mine works at SGI, and I have a pretty good idea of the machine s/hardware that are used to generate footage like Shrek. None of it is generated at realtime (most takes minutes, if not hours to generate a single frame). A PS3 is at BEST 8-10 PC's stuck together (at best!), and this wouldn't get close to what you are claiming - not even close. Hence that comments sounds like fanboy drivel again. This even ignores the "network rendering" comments in the article. And finally - none of this has anything to do with GAMES. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between a theoretical rendering performance on a machine (single scene, optimised for rendering, etc) and something WITHIN A GAME. The CPU is primarily used for everything EXCEPT rendering - AI, control, networking, sound, rendering setup (etc). To use your precious CPU power for something the RSX was designed for would be extremely inefficient. None of the studios I have ever worked at would even consider this. More-so when you have programmable pixels shaders. I can conclude that either you really don't know what you are talking about (except for possible some simple downloadable games, there will NEVER be a ray-traced game released for the PS3!), or that you are trying to spread misinformation. Either way - it comes across as fanboy drivel, and (in MY opinion) you should improve your posts and writing if you want to be taken even (slightly) seriously.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@Blue eyes-I assure you, no. Just getting sick of people gunning down other people's enthusiasm because they don't share the same view.