By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!CELL can do realtime RAYTRACING with just software!!!!

HappySqurriel said: washimul said: the Aurana demo runs at 1 fps ......u are comparing that to CELL...............what a shame. did you read the links i provided???? No:- what a shame????pentium 3 running a complex demo but taking years for that., atleast know something before posting. This is what Barry said regarding raytacing Comment by Barry Minor — March 8, 2007 @ 11:01 am To put this render job in perspective I just ran one frame of this scene through 3dsMax’s default ray-tracer an it took my Centrino Duo (dual core x86) machine one hour eight minutes to render what Cell and the iRT renders in less than one half of a second. http://gametomorrow.com/blog/index.php/2007/03/07/cell-power-at-gdc-2007/To put this render job in perspective I just ran one frame of this scene through 3dsMax’s default ray-tracer an it took my Centrino Duo (dual core x86) machine one hour eight minutes to render what Cell and the iRT renders in less than one half of a second. do u get an idea of how powerful the CELL is : 1 hour 8 minutes on DUAL CORE CENTRINO translates to just half a second on CELL Well, the demo runs at 12fps on my system and has been reported to run at over 60fps on an Intel Core 2 Extreme ... Now, since you don't bother reading and understanding your links here is an important quote: Using IBM’s scalable iRT rendering technology, the PS3 is able to decompose each frame into manageable work regions and dynamically distribute them to blades or other PS3s for rendering. Which means that the cell on the PS3 was only doing scene-graph management off loading the majority of the work to blade servers ... Now, surpringly enough they didn't mention the type or quantity of blade servers they were using ... Being that this was IBM they have access to a lot of high quality servers so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was 12-24 blade servers each with 1 or 2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors running at 2.33 GHz ... This would mean that 12 - 48 Quad core intel processors can outperform a dual core processor what a shocker!
core 2 duo raytraces at 1 fps...........quad -core can max that to 2 fps at best. i am using 6400 core 2 due + 8800gtx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr-R4bUZIQw CELL rendering at 60 fps at 720phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr-R4bUZIQw

Around the Network

Lingyis said: washimul said: SENTINEL have you been atleast reading the links i provided. Those are from MC, UC, IBM and MIT..............i havent invented anything by my own. look at all the links i provided before making comments UPDATE :- CELL now does 1080p raytracing with IRT This week at Game Developers Conference IBM will show a Linux based PS3 real-time rendering a complex (3 million triangle) urban landscape, at 1080p resolution, using only software rendering techniques (iRT). Credible sources should be a given--the point is you need a proper presentation. In fact, saying something like that reduces your credibility, since you need to relegate your convincing to the sources. We all know the PS3 is powerful, so why won't I just google if it's a bunch of links that I want.
LINK to the source :- http://www.gametomorrow.com/blog/ CELL beats 7800gtx without IRT by a margin of 6:1 http://gametomorrow.com/blog/index.php/2005/11/30/gpus-vs-cell imagine what that wd be with IRT http://www.gametomorrow.com/minor/barry/iRT-Sumary.pdf This week at Game Developers Conference IBM will show a Linux based PS3 real-time rendering a complex (3 million triangle) urban landscape, at 1080p resolution, using only software rendering techniques (iRT). http://www.gametomorrow.com/blog/

You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

linkthe2nd said: You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again.
Because he can't provide answers ... I wish the mods would ban him for good ...

That's got to be amazing. Despite the fact that I told him that this was not one PS3 doing the work, but a cluster of machines, he still won't understand and spout rivers of nonsense again and again. The only thing IBM did, is make their algorithm more efficient in scaling with the number of nodes, taking advantage of some unique features of the Cell and RSX. All this shows, is that a render farm of PS3 would be more efficient than the "same" render farm of x86-64 CPU, like what is used nowadays. It's no accident they used Linux for that BTW. But NO, it doesn't mean the PS3 is 1000x or whatever-x faster than a C2D. And repeating wrong things over and over won't make them true, but make you look like a moron that can't even read.

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: linkthe2nd said: You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again. Because he can't provide answers ... I wish the mods would ban him for good ...
I like Washimul here. He's alot of fun to read his "posts". Every forum has to have its 'tard, and he's our 'tard. I just like his crazy & stupid predictions that always fail in the face of reality. Does he even try the prediction league to prove he knows better than anyone else? lol.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

HappySqurriel said: linkthe2nd said: You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again. Because he can't provide answers ... I wish the mods would ban him for good ...
facts always hurt the xbots. i provide nothing other than the links. just wait till june : you wd see realtime RAYTRACING and RAYCASTING in ps3 games.

mrstickball said: HappySqurriel said: linkthe2nd said: You have to stop posting the same thing over and over. How many times have I heard "It took the INTEL CENTRINO an hour and eight minutes to do this while it was done in half a second on the CELL." Stop capitalizing the names. It's annoying. And provide ANSWERS to what people ask you and stuff instead of repeating the same crap again. Because he can't provide answers ... I wish the mods would ban him for good ... I like Washimul here. He's alot of fun to read his "posts". Every forum has to have its 'tard, and he's our 'tard. I just like his crazy & stupid predictions that always fail in the face of reality. Does he even try the prediction league to prove he knows better than anyone else? lol.
ds lite 118 113,500 (-17%) 15,608,500 Psp 117 69,500 (-32%) 5,279,000 Wii 14 60,250 (-31%) 1,805,250 ps3 17 45,250 (+115%) 755,000 beating x360 12:1 ps2 366 17,250 (-1%) 22,063,750 x360 65 3,500 (-18%) 358,000 .........i feel sorry for SAGAGUCHI and BD

Anyone wanna send me a link to that raytracing demo? I wanna give it a go on my system... *grins* I can OC mine faster than a C2D Extreme. (basically the same performance) Send me a link to it in message. I dont read washimul's threads normally.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Sintinel said: It's like you want your threads to be locked. I'm not gonna lock this(yet), because I agree with what Ben said: Even though the presentation is absolutely horrid, you do have some content. Your title needs some serious work, however. And I'm not kidding. That title is awful. Please remember that so future threads don't get locked. And I'm watching this thread pretty closely. Drugs are bad, mkay? washimul said: SENTINEL have you been atleast reading the links i provided. Those are from MC, UC, IBM and MIT..............i havent invented anything by my own. look at all the links i provided before making comments UPDATE :- CELL now does 1080p raytracing with IRT This week at Game Developers Conference IBM will show a Linux based PS3 real-time rendering a complex (3 million triangle) urban landscape, at 1080p resolution, using only software rendering techniques (iRT).
I was commenting on your presentation, not on your links. And to answer your question about whether I read your links: Honestly? No, I did not. I still haven't, and I probably won't. Why? There is a very simple answer to that question. I don't care. That's it. That's all there is to it. I don't give two shits about the 'power of the CELL!!11" I don't. Sorry. I care about the games. Show me a game like Little Big Planet, and I'll drool all over it. I think it looks amazing. Will I buy a PS3 to play it? Probably not. But I will never read about hardware specs because I just don't care. But I think it's great that you do. Seriously, whatever floats your boat man. All I'm asking is please, please, for the sake of my sanity, work on the presentation of your threads so they are at least readable. Don't put 12 exclamation points in your thread title. Don't capitalize every other word. I would be perfectly fine with the title "Cell can do realtime raytracing with just software!" as long as you presented your argument and backed it up. (And I'm not saying you haven't because, like I said, I didn't read your links.) That's all I ask.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless