By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will current-gen sales go down?

I thought about this when reading the 240M-thread...

When do you think the sales wordwide for the respective current-gen consoles will slow down?

Or, to be more precise, in what year do you think the ww sales (in units) will be lower than the previous year?

Wii, X360, PS3, PSP, DS.

Around the Network

Really hard to tell. The trends in the past have been for 4-5 years with the generation leader lasting a bit longer, but this time there are lots of factors involved, of which nobody really knows how they're going to affect things.

The two HD consoles are way more expensive than any succesful piece of gaming hardware before, but HD is undeniably the future, and the companies behind them seem to be determined to support their consoles for a long time to make a profit.

The Wii is far less advanced technically, but is appealing to new gamers, and has features other than graphics that are interesting for those of us who've been gaming forever already. People who don't like the Wii are saying it'll have a shorter lifespan due to inferior graphics, while those who like it believe it'll have a much longer one because hardly anyone cares for graphics anyway. Go figure. =/

I think things will clear up a lot when we see exactly how much developer support is left for the other two after it becomes clear developing for the Wii is much more profitable, and how well quality "hardcore" games do on the Wii. Oh, and also how much the most anticipated titles increase PS3 sales, how much Halo 3 helps the 360, and most importantly how long will the sales boosts last.

IMO they will peak in 2010 and then start to decline in 2011.

nathantay said:
IMO they will peak in 2010 and then start to decline in 2011.

For every console?

I think it differs from Console to Console.

A week ago, I would said this is the best year the 360 will have. Then came Blue Dragon and that seemed to move units, so maybe the 360 can reach new audiences.

So the best year for every console I think.

360 - this or next year.
PS3 - 2009
Wii - 2008.

Around the Network

Well I really dont know . I think the PS3/360 will be pushed at least untill 2011 , and than we will hear the first next-gen rumors , and than sales will slow . For the Wii I dont know , its all of when casual gamers will get board of the new thing . The DS ... well I predict it will start to slow down in 09 , when Japan will get fed up with it , while for the PSP I say a bit later . It will start growing now , and I will say the final big holiday for it will be in 09 , because in 10 I expect the PSP2 .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

not for a long while yet...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

not for a long while yet...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man