By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumors Mounting Over $399 40GiB PS3

libellule said:
I completely agree starcraft,
it depends of the Microsoft move
What is funny it that the sales numbers of the 2 consoles dont seem to be related.
I mean, when the PS3 improve, the Xbox360 is stable or improve too.
There is not so much of "reciprocal" dammage as if people are not hesitating about the consoles they want to purchase.

That is an interesting point. Any ideas what could be causing it?

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Around the Network

Nice way to post fake information. Next week wii HD out price $350.

GranTurismo said:
Nice way to post fake information. Next week wii HD out price $350.

YEAH! M$ FUD campaign will not get the PS3 down on my watch.... 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

A $400 PS3 will boost sales, but not by much. The Wii has already won.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Kaz said Sony will never have more than one SKU (model) out at once now. Stop perpetuating the rumor started by an MS exec.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Personally, I could see this as being true even though it is a remarkably bad idea ...

Multiple SKUs are not typically a good idea because people generally become confused as to what the difference between the models 'really' is and simply gravitate towards the more expensive model; the exception to this would be that back in the day many consoles (SNES) were sold in 2 SKUs, one with just the system and another with the system, an additional controller and a game.

Beyond the confusion it adds I think the benefit the lower price would produce is minimal ... I think you can break the market into two unequal markets (1/4 and 3/4) where the smaller market is willing to spend more than $300 on a console while the larger market is not willing to spend that much money; the people who are willing to spend more than $300 can (potentially) be convinced to pay any 'realistic' price for a system given proper motivation. In order for the PS3 to really break into a new market and start selling better the Price has to be below $300 which won't happen any time soon.

The main problem with a price cutting strategy is that Sony cannot win a war of attrition. The second that PS3 starts gaining serious momentum with a price cut, Nintendo and MS will cut their prices even more. Since Sony has the least cash and the lowest profit margins of all three companies, Sony will lose.

Who says they aren't going to do with the the 40 gig what they did with the 60 gig? Jut drop it's price until it sells out, and after it does they can lower the price of the 80 gig.

Microsoft said it first. Unfortunately they are in a position to want to know what is going to happen, and be in a position to know it will happen. They are in a position to buy information, and loose lips find a good home in the industry. However it might also be speculation on their part, and how they feel things will unfold.

Look at it this way Microsoft has every reason to expect Sony will try to compete this holiday season. They know and Sony knows its the price above all else that is hurting the PS3. Sony also needs the system to sell well in hopes of driving their media format. Lets be blunt the HD-DVD players are dropping prices at a staggering rate, and the sales are increasing. The 360 player on Amazon shot up nearly four hundred percent when they unveiled their special offer.

Sony really needs to compete this holiday season, or they stand a great chance of losing both wars, or worse showing huge losses on both fields. That said Microsoft can sincerely believe that Sony is going to do this. Beyond that it is good practice on their part to bring this belief to the public. They want the public to know now this will happen, and it will drive down sales. After all any good games for the PS3 will be delivered this holiday season. So the consumer should wait. Which only increases the pressure on Sony.

The consumer has every reason outside of financial logic to believe this will happen. Sony already cut a hundred dollars off of the price after six months on shelves. They lied about it right up until the point it happened. So nothing Sony can say now can change the way the masses see things. They are jaded and got a taste. So obviously many speculators will sit on the fence regardless of what anyone says, and will believe what Microsoft speculated.

After Microsoft made the speculation, and even up till the price cut. People were still speculating that the pro would be the same price as the Wii in North America. Personally I think Microsoft held off on their full price cut strategy. Perhaps they have another hundred dollar cut in the pipeline waiting for Sony to drop another cut of their own.

Will this happen personally I highly doubt it, and the reason is that Sony will not let themselves get drug into a price war at this point no matter how much they need to drive sales. They can count on holiday glutting to keep their sales stable. They push a price war and they will lose. Microsoft will simply match it or exceed it. They also do not have a comparable line up. Microsoft would win a price war, and far worse for Sony do far better for it. They would lose less, and they would win more. A larger install base, greater licensing fees, and better first party payouts.

I congratulate Microsoft on bringing the notion to the public it definitely hurt Sony on the sales front, and kept the consumers out of the war. They rightly feel the longer someone sits on the fence the more likely they are to buy a 360 instead of a PS3. They might force Sony to cut prices, and increase losses again. They also decrease confidence in the PS3. Microsoft took real advantage of the situation. Sony on the other hand can do nothing about it. The old mantra of the boy who cried wolf. Nobody believes them anymore. They got caught in to many price related lies this year.

I do not believe it for an instant, because I do not think Sony is this dedicated to the cause. However anyone who hopes for Sony to be a victor will believe it deep down in their hearts. Completely oblivious to the fact that it only hurts Sony. The irony is people trying to help Sony are only hurting them by posting these things.

valen200 said:
Gelmer said:
Spiderman 3?!?! That game was awesome! Gotta get a Ps3 now.

I hope they mean the movie and not the game. then again I didn't overly care for the movie either.

It was sarcasm, both obviously sucked.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.