By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumors Mounting Over $399 40GiB PS3

FishyJoe said:
Kaz Hirai said they wanted to have a single SKU.

I wish more people would had saw that video interview. 

Like Fishy stated, Kaz announced in an interview that Sony would maintain a single SKU from now on. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

I'll probably buy a PS3 when it drops at least at 300$ and FFXIII comes out along with other good games (especially JRPGs which the Wii seems to be lacking so far).

I just don't understand what else they could cut out of the machine to make a 40GB worth $100 less than an 80GB. The smaller HDD is a few dollars difference, at best. Maybe it's the 20gb reincarnated? No card readers, wi-fi, and smaller HDD for a $100 less just like last time?

If that's the case, then essentially all that's happened since launch is Sony threw in a 20GB larger HDD and had a $100 price drop across the board.

Ooh, I know what they could do.

$499 ps3:

80GB HDD
SD card readers, etc.
Wi-fi
Spiderman 3 on Blu-Ray (MSRP around $35, most likely)

$399 ps3:

40GB HDD

Then the $100 difference makes perfect sense.

Viper1 said:
FishyJoe said:
Kaz Hirai said they wanted to have a single SKU.

I wish more people would had saw that video interview.

Like Fishy stated, Kaz announced in an interview that Sony would maintain a single SKU from now on.

While they'll most likely stick to their word this time, you have to remember, they said the same thing at E3'05 when MS announced their two SKU strategy for the 360.

Around the Network

The card reader was always the dumbest feature

Sony really needs to hit the lowest price point possible, and now with Ken gone I think the more sensible minds will win out.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Please just drop the price of the 80GB instead. Im getting confused by all these different versions of consoles, I wish all the companies would just stick to a single SKU.

The developers must hate it as well, at least as far as the X360 Core goes.

Rath said:
Please just drop the price of the 80GB instead. Im getting confused by all these different versions of consoles, I wish all the companies would just stick to a single SKU.

The developers must hate it as well, at least as far as the X360 Core goes.

From a developing standpoint, all PS3's are identical.  For the 360, however, you are correct.

Considering there are books being written with titles like "Why Did The PS3 Fail?" and Bluray sales are barely above HDDVD sales now, this seems like a good idea, even if Sony loses money.

I would buy a PS3 for $400 if games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet and Killzone 2 get great (90+) reviews.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Well worst case a $599 PS3 SKU is going to be a tough pill for parents and family to bite this holiday season, but a $399 PS3 would do quite well I imagine.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!