By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

"What does that number stand for?

Hahaha. Why it signifies the bare minimum sales total for your favorite and mine...the Wii.

Two Hundred and Forty Million will be the lowest possible amount of sales for the Wii's lifetime. The LOWEST amount."

I beg to differ. I think there is a BIG, hardcore fanbase out there that is very disappointed with the Wii. My brother is probably the biggest Zelda fan I've ever met. And I think his disappointment with Twilight Princess is well founded. I mean let's face just because some of you little pop tweens out there that have never played Ocarina of Time claim that TP is the greatest game ever made doesnt make it so. In fact, it just proves your ignorance. I think TP is proof that Nintendo has lost its step.

Other problems with the Wii:

1) Nintendo doesnt guarantee that VC games will play problem-free or are even compatible with the machine. Then why the hell are there so few titles available for download? It's obvious that they're not being tested for compatibility so what's keeping the Big N from releasing the whole games backcatalog all at once? What a load of crap!! I'm sure my brother and I arent the only ones mad about this.....

2) For a company that supposedly tries to satisfy its customers it certainly isnt trying hard on the color front. Why is Nintendo so insistent on their hideous white? What happened to the black and grey models we saw at past E3s?

3) Lack of good games. Don't give me Smash Bros.... or Metroid...... I'm just not a fan, ok? Ok, let's just for the sake of argument say that those are OUTSTANDING games..... but now where are the OTHER good adult games? The ONLY game that even catches my eye in the machine's near future is Mario Galaxy and one game isnt enough for me to go out and get this box.

Believe it or not, I was actually one of the early excited people back when the "motion sensing controller" was announced. But have since then been very disillusioned with the machine. I have not bought one yet and won't until the Big N rectifies some of these short comings. I know I'm not alone. And when even hardcore fans like my brother are regretting their Wii purchase.... I dont know about those sales numbers...... I hope you know the USED game market doesn't count towards retail sales......

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Around the Network

Wow, ErikGuy, you should use that as the start of your new book, "Why the Wii failed".

erikguy said:
"What does that number stand for?

Hahaha. Why it signifies the bare minimum sales total for your favorite and mine...the Wii.

Two Hundred and Forty Million will be the lowest possible amount of sales for the Wii's lifetime. The LOWEST amount."

I beg to differ. I think there is a BIG, hardcore fanbase out there that is very disappointed with the Wii. My brother is probably the biggest Zelda fan I've ever met. And I think his disappointment with Twilight Princess is well founded. I mean let's face just because some of you little pop tweens out there that have never played Ocarina of Time claim that TP is the greatest game ever made doesnt make it so. In fact, it just proves your ignorance. I think TP is proof that Nintendo has lost its step.

Other problems with the Wii:

1) Nintendo doesnt guarantee that VC games will play problem-free or are even compatible with the machine. Then why the hell are there so few titles available for download? It's obvious that they're not being tested for compatibility so what's keeping the Big N from releasing the whole games backcatalog all at once? What a load of crap!! I'm sure my brother and I arent the only ones mad about this.....

2) For a company that supposedly tries to satisfy its customers it certainly isnt trying hard on the color front. Why is Nintendo so insistent on their hideous white? What happened to the black and grey models we saw at past E3s?

3) Lack of good games. Don't give me Smash Bros.... or Metroid...... I'm just not a fan, ok? Ok, let's just for the sake of argument say that those are OUTSTANDING games..... but now where are the OTHER good adult games? The ONLY game that even catches my eye in the machine's near future is Mario Galaxy and one game isnt enough for me to go out and get this box.

Believe it or not, I was actually one of the early excited people back when the "motion sensing controller" was announced. But have since then been very disillusioned with the machine. I have not bought one yet and won't until the Big N rectifies some of these short comings. I know I'm not alone. And when even hardcore fans like my brother are regretting their Wii purchase.... I dont know about those sales numbers...... I hope you know the USED game market doesn't count towards retail sales......

I thought about letting this one slide because it's such an obvious hate rant, but then I decided against it. So let's go:

(Your brother was disappointed by TP)
It's true that Zelda TP isn't the best game ever made. However, that doesn't mean it's not a very, very good game, nor that it wasn't a driving force behind the Wii (or would be if the Wii wasn't driving itself so fantastically), nor, most of all, that Nintendo has lost its step. And even if TP had been some kind of failure, don't MP3 and the upcoming SMG and SSBB prove that Nintendo is in fact at least as good as ever before?

(Other problem #1)
What are you even talking about? Name games have had problems outside of PAL 50/60Hz issues, which is NOT what you are talking about.

(Other problem #2)
Oh noes! You can't buy Wii in all the colors of the rainbow! I admit I was expecting them to make colors available by now, but with their production issues, surely you understand that they have bigger fish to fry. Buy a skin with that color on it if it means that much to you -- my Wii has resembled an NES since last Christmas.

(Other problem #3)
Now you're just being stupid. You say "not enough good games" then follow that immediately with "well, not enough games I like." Then it's on to "not enough adult games" -- and here's where I think your true objection lies. It doesn't have teh Halo. RE4 is awesome, but I'll admit that it's a 2004 game in a 2007 world. New stuff, however, is coming. Red Steel may have been mediocre, but it still managed to sell well enough that it's obvious to developers that there's a market for mature Wii games.
    I'm also not sure you're fully aware of the upcoming games for the Wii. Battalion Wars 2, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, and Soulcalibur Legends are just a few games that ought to be considered "adult" even though not all of them may feature graphic violence.

(Used game sales don't count? No way!)
Finally, apparently deciding to go out with a bang, you imply that VGChartz's numbers are inflated by used-game sales. That is truly hilarious. At least your brother can turn a profit when he sells his Wii later this year -- but I bet he won't sell it, for the same reason he could sell it at a profit. The Wii is a truly revolutionary system with great games, and many more great games on the way.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

John Lucas!! Welcome back.

This is great.  JL makes all sorts of crazy predictions about how successful the Wii would be this year and everyone on this site said he was batsh-t crazy.  Now that he's been proven right (so far), he's back making another daring prediction and again everyone says he's batsh-t crazy.

You're loving this aren't you John?

Minimum 240mil?  I think you posted that before.  I wasn't inclined to agree then, but I think, production capabilities providing, then this is, in fact, accurate.  

Just yesterday I was in Futureshop (CDN subsidary of BestBuy) and a couple guys were looking for PC games.  They stopped to look at the Wii and were trying to figure it out. They had the wrong controller so pressing A wasn't working to start the game.  I quickly figured out the problem for them.  Wii Sports Tennis came on.  The guy pressed every button on the controller trying to make it work.  lol.  Then I said 'Swing it'.  He did and then I saw the eyes twinkle and smiles appear.  One guy had a little girl and of course she wanted to try right away.  No doubt, 2 Wiis sold.  It doesn't matter what hardcore gamers do or think, they are almost irrelevant to the Wii's potential.   It IS expanding the audience.  More 40+ gamers, more girls, that alone could double ps2 sales, then add new markets like India, China and especially Korea (where consoles have never sold well), plus since it's so different than the competition, ultimately few 360 or PS3 owners won't eventually also have a Wii.

240 million? No prob.  Good call John Lucas.

Wow, everyone seems to have missed the true winner of most outrageous prediction in this thread! Shams wins it with the 400m number =)

@JohnLucas,

Welcome back =)

You made a good run at the title this time around but I have to say I think I still get to keep it since if you look at attach ratios on mega-selling systems (ie PS2) it becomes apparent that I might actually need 240m wii sales in order for my prediction to become true.

Then again your prediction is far more solidified, you are assuring it where as I was saying it was an outside chance. Hmmm this might be a close one =P

@SSJ,

Are those serious predictions? Not trying to be rude but those are CRAZY! There are at least 3 systems out of the ones you predicted that will be off by 20% or more.

@erikguy,

Welcome to the boards!

I can appreciate that you have issues with the Wii, but honestly all of the things you listed were either opinions (ie "lack of good games", "TP is bad") or such minor issues that I have heard nobody complain until you did (ie "Lack of color choices", "VC problems").

Seriously, not everyone is going to like/dislike the things you do and most people recognize that colors will come in time and until then you can purchase skins to put on your Wii. But I have to say I don't know of anyone who would say "Man that console looks fun but it just doesn't come in any colors I like so...oh well...maybe next gen...". And finally the VC issues are either so new nobody here has heard of them or so minor nobody here noticed/cared.

In short, I think you make a weak argument and I think you have yet to give the Wii a fair chance. Hopefully you will and you will figure out why people love the Wii so much. Until then though perhaps you should create a thread for your issues specifically so you can discuss them without taking away from this topic and so you don't have to try and talk over this discussion.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I mean I love my Wii, but it's not hitting 240 mil. Sorry to be the wet blanket.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I remember the fuzz on the internet when the name was announced. "No way a console called Wii will sell!". Then it was "no way a console without HD will sell!". Then "no way a console without hardcore games will sell" and "people will get bored of the gimmicky controller, it's just a fad".

Hahaha. Meanwhile Nintendo just makes the Wii train go even faster.

Btw, sales in Sweden seems to have picked up again, maybe it's because SPM is released on the 14th.

Gamerace said:

John Lucas!! Welcome back.

This is great. JL makes all sorts of crazy predictions about how successful the Wii would be this year and everyone on this site said he was batsh-t crazy. Now that he's been proven right (so far), he's back making another daring prediction and again everyone says he's batsh-t crazy.

You're loving this aren't you John?

Minimum 240mil? I think you posted that before. I wasn't inclined to agree then, but I think, production capabilities providing, then this is, in fact, accurate.

Just yesterday I was in Futureshop (CDN subsidary of BestBuy) and a couple guys were looking for PC games. They stopped to look at the Wii and were trying to figure it out. They had the wrong controller so pressing A wasn't working to start the game. I quickly figured out the problem for them. Wii Sports Tennis came on. The guy pressed every button on the controller trying to make it work. lol. Then I said 'Swing it'. He did and then I saw the eyes twinkle and smiles appear. One guy had a little girl and of course she wanted to try right away. No doubt, 2 Wiis sold. It doesn't matter what hardcore gamers do or think, they are almost irrelevant to the Wii's potential. It IS expanding the audience. More 40+ gamers, more girls, that alone could double ps2 sales, then add new markets like India, China and especially Korea (where consoles have never sold well), plus since it's so different than the competition, ultimately few 360 or PS3 owners won't eventually also have a Wii.

240 million? No prob. Good call John Lucas.

he is, you should hear him on MSN

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

stranne said:
I remember the fuzz on the internet when the name was announced. "No way a console called Wii will sell!". Then it was "no way a console without HD will sell!". Then "no way a console without hardcore games will sell" and "people will get bored of the gimmicky controller, it's just a fad".

Hahaha. Meanwhile Nintendo just makes the Wii train go even faster.

Btw, sales in Sweden seems to have picked up again, maybe it's because SPM is released on the 14th.

yes, that's correct. we in europe haven't got anything good for a while so this will definently push hardware a little over here.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It's quite possible. I would not bet on it...but it's quite possible.

Since this thread may become legendary, I'll throw in my prediction: lifetime sales will be in the range of 200-250 mln.