By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Downloading Update for My PS3

My downloads have always been fast whether its an firmware update or demos. Never had an issue. I guess im the lucky one lol

Around the Network
twesterm said:
gergroy said:

So here is my question.  Why does it take so long for the sony ps3 to do the exact same thing?  Is it a bandwidth issue or something to do with the hardware or software?  I just don't understand why it takes so long.  It frustrates me! :(

Because you get what you pay (or don't pay) for.

That's common knowledge. Also false :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

PS3 downloads/updates take a hell of a long time, but not as long for me as some of you guys. More than once though, I've put a game into my PS3, saw the update, removed said game and put it back into it's case forever. I really lack patience...............

don't have slow dloading on my ps3 firmware...I updated 2 days ago and it only took me 10min...

I had somewhat the same problem. Before it took forever for a demo to download, but ever since the last update the downloads are really fast. I have no idea if there is a correlation between the two or what.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

Around the Network
gergroy said:
DarkNight_DS said:

Microsoft uses a service that puts servers into your local Internet Providers rackspace. These servers cache on demand whatever the most requested downloads are from microsoft. Microsoft (and others) pays this company big money to provide them the best download speeds. The internet providers get these servers at no cost to them, they allow these to be installed on their network to minimize the costs of going across someone else's network to grab the data you want at any given time. When a user requests this content, the content is streamed at near full speed of the users network connection. When a user requests data that's not on one of these servers from a company that doesn't pay "company's name removed" for their services the Internet providers will decrease your bandwidth to the material you want to save costs.

Sony and Nintendo do not pay this company for bandwidth (yet).

As for why Microsofts installs are faster, this is mostly due to the way that Microsoft writes their code.  Microsoft puts the updates into folders which can be swapped on the fly by changing config files.  Sony uses a very archaic way to update their system.  Hopefully they'll adopt a better way to update their firmware.

they really should then.  it's hard to apreciate sony's downloadable stuff when there is such a glaring difference between the download speeds.

Look at Microsofts profits and then look at Sony's.  There is a huge difference there.  Also, Microsoft pays for it's bandwidth costs by having people subscribe to their service.  Sony does not.  You get what you pay for sometimes.  Sony might be smarter to move in the original direction that most people thought they'd go with the Cell when the archetecture was first discussed.

Basically PTP across users on the same Internet provider to please the Internet provider and increase overall speeds.  The cell was originally discussed as being a really good load balancer and process sharer.  Most people envisioned a service very similar to On Live using linked PS3's.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Yeah, I find that firmware updates can take a while on the PS3. But as for downloading games/demos from the Store, for me it's as fast as on the Marketplace.

My downloads take FORREEEVVVERRRR but thats because My connection is ridiculously slow, I just let it go over night.

@ OP: what kind of internet connection do you have, if you say you got a gig off of live in 4 to 5 minutes...

I'm really lucky here, a year ago my downloads speeds were really slow (like under 200kb) but now I download almost always with 800 kb or more. I think they upgraded there servers in the Netherlands.

A few months back, I set my PS3 and 360 to download the Star Wars: TFU demo at the same time. I got tired of waiting to see which would download faster but when I stopped, the PS3 said it was 37% complete while the 360 was 34% complete. It blew my mind!! I may try it again one day, but with a smaller download.