By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Top five mistakes Sony is making with Playstation 3

The Playstation 3 console.Sony has made plenty of mistakes with the Playstation 3 when the system launched in 2006. Throughout the years, however, they were able to fix some of the more prevalent problems. Still, the Playstation 3 has a long way to go in order live up to its original promises. Here are the top five current mistakes Sony is making with the Playstation 3.

5. Weak Third-Party Support While the situation isn’t as dire as it was in the past, many third-party companies still prefer working with the Xbox 360 than the Playstation 3. As a result, most third party games look better while others were timed exclusive titles on the Xbox 360. Sony needs to be more aggressive working with third-party publishers and developers so that the playing ground will be even with the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 in terms of multiplatform releases.

4. Slow Firmware Update Features Sony has been updating the Playstation 3 firmware frequently. While new features are constantly added, they are usually irrelevant to the gaming experience of the Playstation 3. Before Sony updates the multimedia features of the Playstation 3, they should focus all their attention to the gaming side of the equation. The closer the Playstation Network gets to Xbox Live on the Xbox 360, the more attractive the Playstation 3 will be to prospective buyers.

3. Lack of PSOne Classics The original Playstation was Sony’s first video game system and the platform for some of the greatest video games of all time. Unfortunately, Sony (especially in America) is rarely releasing any new PSOne Classic on the Playstation Store of the Playstation 3. They are therefore missing out on some easy money and the opportunity to introduce the new gaming generation to titles from the past.

2. Removing Playstation 2 Backwards Compatibility Sony removed Playstation 2 backwards compatibility in order to save costs. This move has caused nothing but problems for the Playstation 3 since prospective buyers are either angered and/or confused about the removal. The value of the Playstation 3 is therefore degraded. Sony can remedy this by implementing a software-based solution. However, doing so will be expensive and time-consuming.

1. No Price Drop The biggest mistake Sony has made for the Playstation 3 is still hurting them years after the fact. The Playstation 3 launched at an unprecedented price tag of $599.99. Even though the price has come down to $399.99, the Playstation 3 is still the most expensive video game system on the market by a wide margin. To make matters worse, Sony isn’t financially sound enough right now to be dropping the Playstation 3 price. Unless they can sort this situation out, the Playstation 3 will continue to struggle against the competition.

http://www.examiner.com/x-6894-SF-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m4d7-Top-five-mistakes-Sony-is-making-with-the-Playstation-3

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

5. Not really. PS3 seems to have more third party exclusives in the works than the 360 does.

4. They seem to add features to PSN more frequently than Microsoft does to Live. At this point, I'd say it's fast approaching parity with Live and only really lacks cross-game voice chat.

3. Would be nice, sure. Not a huge mistake, though, IMO.

2. Yes!

1. I see the point, but Sony's mistake was making such an expensive console to begin with and what's done is done. They're managing pretty respectable sales at such a high price point, and I think it's better if they hold off and continue to focus on profitability and lowering hardware costs rather than cutting price just because people are telling them that they should.

For once a list like this that I agree with. :O

But point #5 really only comes into play for people thal own both consoles. When trying to pick one or the other, the tiny differences between some third party titles means little.

As for #4, I understand their complaints, but these things take time.  I'm fine with Sony doing what they can when they can.

makingmusic476 said:

For once a list like this that I agree with. :O

But point #5 really only comes into play for people thal own both consoles. When trying to pick one or the other, the tiny differences between some third party titles means little.

As for #4, I understand their complaints, but these things take time.  I'm fine with Sony doing what they can when they can.

i didnt make the list got it from the link ive posted

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

badgenome said:

5. Not really. PS3 seems to have more third party exclusives in the works than the 360 does.

4. They seem to add features to PSN more frequently than Microsoft does to Live. At this point, I'd say it's fast approaching parity with Live and only really lacks cross-game voice chat.

3. Would be nice, sure. Not a huge mistake, though, IMO.

2. Yes!

1. I see the point, but Sony's mistake was making such an expensive console to begin with and what's done is done. They're managing pretty respectable sales at such a high price point, and I think it's better if they hold off and continue to focus on profitability and lowering hardware costs rather than cutting price just because people are telling them that they should.

Good list OP - although I'd agree with the points above that it's 1) and 2) that are the real issues currently, and that 1) is due to the inherent nature of the console.  With the cost of the tech inside it the PS3 had to be that price.

5) I think is not a big issue anymore, 4) I'd agree with to an extent but I think its more a marketing issue now - i.e. the marketplace view of where PSN/XMB started vs where it is now and 3) I think isn't really holding it back - i.e the majority of potential general purchasers aren't worry about PS1 games being on the platform.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

good points but iif sony could afford to make risks they would do what the list suggests

Consoles owned=PS,PS2 n PSP...Hope to buy DSi

I disagree strongly with 5, 4, and 1. Sony has done a very good job of making the PS3 an extreamly successful console for 3rd party publishers, and in return it is seeing 3rd parties return the favor. The firmware updates come often, but with small enhancments. However, if you look over time, the sum of these updates has pulled the PS3 into equal ground with the 360, and if the momentum continues the system will soon surpass 360 in every catagory. Currently, being an owner of both, I see strengths and weaknesses in differant areas of each console that makes the about equal, in their experiance. (note: this rating is based off a 60GB PS3 versus a Elite 360) With that said, I see no reason why Sony should have to drop the price of the PS3. They are offering the an experiance that can only be offered on the 360 from a unit that sells at the same price. What Sony needs is marketing, and software.

With 3, and 2 I must say Sony has really dropped the ball. The inability to play PS2 gfames on the PS3 has been an extream hamper on the sales of the system. Many less hardcore gamers are much more attatched to their old games than thouse that are always on the cusp of new games. To these people B/C is amoung the most important of features. For Sony, the company that created B/C in the home console market, to take it away is a tragedy. Playstation was a platform built on the trust of the consumer. Consumers had learned to trust that they would recive support long after the new models came out, and that once they decide to move forward their game library would be safe and carry over. With PS3 Sony has broken this bond with the consumer. As far as PSOne games go. It is something that is an ancher on both the PSP and the PS3. Having the ability to play PSOne games on both is great, but not having the ability to play; Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo 2, and other highly acclaimed PSOne games is a mjor letdown to potential users of the network.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

one of the problems is that the system seriously lacks a mascot. The ps3 has MGS but snake can only take it so far. They need to bring back crash coz R&C aren't doing it for them. Sonic did so well for sega during the genesis. Mario continues to pull off stellar sales for nintendo. Halo does the same for ms(even though it is an FPS title).

So SONY.. where the hell is your mascot??? crash?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

I think point 4 and 5 are totally irrelevant.. All the 3rd Party games are now coming on PS3 and PS3 is getting more exclusives recently.

The biggest point they missed is the low scale crappier advertisement.. They didn't do the advertising for their games the way it should have been done.. I think that is their biggest mistake. Ppl will buy $400 console if they can be convinced that PS3 has awesome EXCLUSIVE games and unparalleled features.. Which they have failed to advertise so far.

599 US Dollars
Giant Enemy Crabs
Riiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaacer
No Games
599 US Dollars