By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who has made the greatest contribution to games this decade and why?

SONY brought the People
MS brought the features
Nintendo brought the DS.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:
Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:
The first half is the PS2 and the second half is Nintendo

and BTW what the hell did Sega do in the last 9 years aside from droping the Dreamcast and Milking Sonic besides some good games (Total War comes to mind which is great) but by far not a MAJOR contribution

Online gaming. I hear it's popular nowadays.

hmmm PCs had online and I know you know that but I'm sorry in no way shape or form Online gaming was mianstreem on consoles before Xbox Live and HALO 2 for the most part and when it came to this gen it really took off that's why FPS sales are sky rocketing this gen 

PC's having online is a great contribution to PC's. A console maker bringing it over to consoles and getting it to work I feel deserves it's own achievement notice.

Regarding whether Microsoft deserves the credit for popularizing online gaming or Sega deserves it for carving out the blueprint for Xbox Live's future is merely a difference of opinion. It's similiar to those that think Wolfenstein 3D deserves the FPS credit for creating it or Doom does for popularizing it. Neither is really right or wrong, just a different way of looking at things.

Not trying to further the dissection any longer because I agree with some of what you said but I still think that the online feature in the DC is not that big to be a contribution or a well noted achievement because like I said if non of MS, Sony or Nintendo did it after the DC nobody would even notice tbh

Any way I guess in the end it all comes down to the way you see it I would rather give the credit to MS for that but hey that’s just me

TheThunder said:
Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:
Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:

and BTW what the hell did Sega do in the last 9 years aside from droping the Dreamcast and Milking Sonic besides some good games (Total War comes to mind which is great) but by far not a MAJOR contribution

hmmm PCs had online and I know you know that but I'm sorry in no way shape or form Online gaming was mianstreem on consoles before Xbox Live and HALO 2 for the most part and when it came to this gen it really took off that's why FPS sales are sky rocketing this gen 

PC's having online is a great contribution to PC's. A console maker bringing it over to consoles and getting it to work I feel deserves it's own achievement notice.

Regarding whether Microsoft deserves the credit for popularizing online gaming or Sega deserves it for carving out the blueprint for Xbox Live's future is merely a difference of opinion. It's similiar to those that think Wolfenstein 3D deserves the FPS credit for creating it or Doom does for popularizing it. Neither is really right or wrong, just a different way of looking at things.

Not trying to further the dissection any longer because I agree with some of what you said but I still think that the online feature in the DC is not that big to be a contribution or a well noted achievement because like I said if non of MS, Sony or Nintendo did it after the DC nobody would even notice tbh

Any way I guess in the end it all comes down to the way you see it I would rather give the credit to MS for that but hey that’s just me

You could also think of it like if the DC didn't do it first, then none of them would have followed. The reason why I give the credit to Sega is because the Dreamcast and it's demise was the stepping stool Microsoft used to create the Xbox and it's philosophies. MS and Sega were very close throughout the Dreamcast's lifespan all the way past the launch of the Xbox. It almost came to be that MS and Sega became one and supposedly the only reason they didn't is because Sega demanded Dreamcast backwards compatibility in the Xbox and Microsoft said no. If you recall, Xbox's first packin was a combo Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio Future pack, which should show how close the two were. So really it's fine if you give the credit to MS. They did in fact help create a lot of things in the Dreamcast, the same way that they learned from the DC how to build the Xbox. It was a two way street and I just fall on the side of the fence giving Sega the credit.

What's really important is what we both agree on, which is that online gaming is one of the most important contributions of this decade.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Nintendo had the 1990-2000 decade 100% innovation-wise with 3-d platformers, rumble, and analog sticks, but the winner of this decade is bit harder. Sony rules the roost with the ps2 until 2005 or so but Nintendo brought out the wii. since the Wii is quite a bit more revolutionary in the way games are played than a ps3, or x-box...I'll have to go with Nintendo.

Sony, They made the PLAYSTATION

Around the Network
Cthulhu said:

...in 1994. It's now 2009. So the decade the OP is referring to would be 2000-2009 which would leave 1994 a bit out of that area wouldn't you say?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

^ that was in 1994 the question was who helped gaming in the decade from 2000-2009

edit: LOL Onyx :P

I have to give huge credit to Microsoft for online gaming

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Onyxmeth said:
Cthulhu said:

...in 1994. It's now 2009. So the decade the OP is referring to would be 2000-2009 which would leave 1994 a bit out of that area wouldn't you say?

Ahhh hahhaha i lost 10 years somewhere. My bad

for 2000-2009 then : Its Sony with PS2, PS3 (super 1st 2nd 3rd party support, multiple amazing francises), Sega with online on Dreamcast (but that was 1998) & Nintendo with the motion controls for the Wii

Sorry but Microsoft did absolutetly nothing, its all about copy/paste for them

Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:
Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:
Onyxmeth said:
TheThunder said:

You could also think of it like if the DC didn't do it first, then none of them would have followed. The reason why I give the credit to Sega is because the Dreamcast and it's demise was the stepping stool Microsoft used to create the Xbox and it's philosophies. MS and Sega were very close throughout the Dreamcast's lifespan all the way past the launch of the Xbox. It almost came to be that MS and Sega became one and supposedly the only reason they didn't is because Sega demanded Dreamcast backwards compatibility in the Xbox and Microsoft said no. If you recall, Xbox's first packin was a combo Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio Future pack, which should show how close the two were. So really it's fine if you give the credit to MS. They did in fact help create a lot of things in the Dreamcast, the same way that they learned from the DC how to build the Xbox. It was a two way street and I just fall on the side of the fence giving Sega the credit.

What's really important is what we both agree on, which is that online gaming is one of the most important contributions of this decade.

wow really intersting facts you got there didn't know that tbh

and as for the bolded

wouldn't even argue about that ;)