By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long will the PS2 hold the WW sales record?

Final-Fan said:
Machina-AX said:
EHSTEVE said:
Does it even count? Should we be comparing Handhelds to home consoles?

This is my view as well. In which case I don't see it being beaten this generation by any of the 3 consoles.

Why shouldn't it count? I am very interested in hearing your argument.

I bet it's the same argument people make ... Each family member will likely to have a handheld for his/her own instead of a single one for the whole family. Or that handhelds are cheaper (in which the PS2 is) ... or maybe they are trying to make a distinction by telling you that one is portable is one is not.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network
tiachopvutru said:
Final-Fan said:
Machina-AX said:
EHSTEVE said:
Does it even count? Should we be comparing Handhelds to home consoles?

This is my view as well. In which case I don't see it being beaten this generation by any of the 3 consoles.

Why shouldn't it count? I am very interested in hearing your argument.

I bet it's the same argument people make ... Each family member will likely to have a handheld for his/her own instead of a single one for the whole family. Or that handhelds are cheaper (in which the PS2 is) ... or maybe they are trying to make a distinction by telling you that one is portable is one is not.

Hmm... actually the "more than one per household" argument does make some sense ... but the difference could be accounted for with weighted scoring. 

Cheaper, though, is not a good reason.  It's an advantage -- maybe an unfair one -- but it doesn't put the handhelds on some other plane of existence. 

In the end, yes, handhelds are a different type of game system; but when you get right down to it, so is the Wii.   

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I'm going to just compare consoles here...

I think the Wii will definitely pass up the ps2's numbers by the end of this gen, and possibly the ps3 as well. The gaming market is drastically increasing in size this generation, from the large numbers of non-gamers and causals being brought in by the Wii/DS, and because of the rebirth of gaming amongst home theater enthusiasts thanks to the ps3's Blu-Ray player (albeit the latter is a much smaller crowd than the former).  Because of this, all the consoles will sell very well compared to generations past.

The Wii will easily pass the 130 mil. mark this generation, and the ps3 will sell at least 80 mil., if not also reaching 130 mil. like the Wii.  Of course, the Wii will always maintain a considerable lead over the ps3.

makingmusic476 said:

I think the Wii will definitely pass up the ps2's numbers by the end of this gen, and possibly the ps3 as well. The gaming market is drastically increasing in size this generation, from the large numbers of non-gamers and causals being brought in by the Wii/DS, and because of the rebirth of gaming amongst home theater enthusiasts thanks to the ps3's Blu-Ray player (albeit the latter is a much smaller crowd than the former). Because of this, all the consoles will sell very well compared to generations past.

The Wii will easily pass the 130 mil. mark this generation, and the ps3 will sell at least 80 mil., if not also reaching 130 mil. like the Wii. Of course, the Wii will always maintain a considerable lead over the ps3.

(emphasis added)

Wow!  I didn't notice this before, somehow.  I admire your optimism makingmusic, but the PS3 will be quite lucky if it hits 80 million.  I think it has a decent chance of getting 65 million, but more likely 40-55 million.  There is only the most outside of outside chances it will hit 130 million, and even that is only if you subscribe to John Lucas' prediction of at least 240 million Wiis.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Having not read any of the thread upto this point, my guess would be, only the DS having a chance to overcome it, other than that I would assume the PS2 is gonna hold it for quite a while.

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
makingmusic476 said:

I think the Wii will definitely pass up the ps2's numbers by the end of this gen, and possibly the ps3 as well. The gaming market is drastically increasing in size this generation, from the large numbers of non-gamers and causals being brought in by the Wii/DS, and because of the rebirth of gaming amongst home theater enthusiasts thanks to the ps3's Blu-Ray player (albeit the latter is a much smaller crowd than the former). Because of this, all the consoles will sell very well compared to generations past.

The Wii will easily pass the 130 mil. mark this generation, and the ps3 will sell at least 80 mil., if not also reaching 130 mil. like the Wii. Of course, the Wii will always maintain a considerable lead over the ps3.

(emphasis added)

Wow! I didn't notice this before, somehow. I admire your optimism makingmusic, but the PS3 will be quite lucky if it hits 80 million. I think it has a decent chance of getting 65 million, but more likely 40-55 million. There is only the most outside of outside chances it will hit 130 million, and even that is only if you subscribe to John Lucas' prediction of at least 240 million Wiis.

I think the Wii could hit the 240 mil. mark, but more likely it will top out around 180-200 mil. 

Either way, the market will grow a hell of a lot this gen.