By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 tops sales in Japan

Saturday, April 4, 2009 The latest sales charts from Japan are beginning to indicate a new trend — the PS3 is beginning to outsell the Wii and Xbox 360 week after week. While the cart is topped by the DS and PSP (as usual), the PS3 still outsells the Wii and especially the Xbox 360, which is even outsold by the PS2. The full sales chart below: 

Nintendo DS: 65,809

PlayStation Portable: 54,148 

PlayStation 3: 22,825 

Nintendo Wii: 17,276 

PlayStation 2: 5246 

Xbox 360: 4849

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Old news is old. Expect the trend to change when wii resort launches

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

It is nice to see the PS3 on top, but it is not going to last when the Wii gets some games

lol.A trend that will end in a week or two.:P

but ffxiii demo is coming and ffviii ac...these sales figures wont compare when they are release

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
rohail88 said:
but ffxiii demo is coming and ffviii ac...these sales figures wont compare when they are release

oh so a trend that ends in a month or so.

PS3 is wayy too expenisve in japan compared to competition to stay on top.

SpartanFX said:
rohail88 said:

Dont forget that "TOV , FFXIII, NG sigma 2, and others  are all comming this year (in japan)

Maybe PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2009(in japan)

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

nen-suer said:
SpartanFX said:
rohail88 said:

Dont forget that "TOV , FFXIII, NG sigma 2, and others  are all comming this year (in japan)

Maybe PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2009(in japan)

No game can compare with Wii Sport Resort does impact to current Japan market, and there is lot of 3rd party title like Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter 3, T0G (mothership title), RE DC, Mario & Sonic WO, FFCC:CB.... Expect PS3 can outsell Wii in Japan is too optimistic unless PS3 drop its price by half IMO.

You can't also forget that there are a lot of games coming to Wii this year: FF:CB, Tales of 10, Monster Hunter G, Monster hunter 3, WIISPORTS RESORT...

And also point out that despite all the big software PS3 have had this year, Wii still tops PS3 hardware sales in 2009 in Japan.

What's important is that PS3 sales got very close to the Wii not the fact that it is 1k lower or higher. Sure, games have helped PS3 a lot but even now (2 weeks after last big game - Musou Orochi Z, and 3 weeks after last huge one - RE5) PS3 and Wii sales are very close. It used to be 3:1 in favor of Wii for most of this generation.
We're also not talking about one-two week bump like after MGS4 hit stores - PS3 managed to match Wii sales for whole quarter so I think that its a high chance that things have changed permanently.

I don't think that PS3 sales will hold that close to Wii for entrire year but I also don't think that Wii is going to beat the PS3 by such huge margin as they used to for last 2 years.