By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 tops sales in Japan

kamil said:
What's important is that PS3 sales got very close to the Wii not the fact that it is 1k lower or higher. Sure, games have helped PS3 a lot but even now (2 weeks after last big game - Musou Orochi Z, and 3 weeks after last huge one - RE5) PS3 and Wii sales are very close. It used to be 3:1 in favor of Wii for most of this generation.
We're also not talking about one-two week bump like after MGS4 hit stores - PS3 managed to match Wii sales for whole quarter so I think that its a high chance that things have changed permanently.

I don't think that PS3 sales will hold that close to Wii for entrire year but I also don't think that Wii is going to beat the PS3 by such huge margin as they used to for last 2 years.

What you are failing to realize is that the Wii stays above the 15k mark without major releases. The PS3 nor the Xbox 360 have done that this gen. All the Wii needs is to have games in the top 20 and it will continue to sell between 15k to 20k. Now if the games are major releases then the Wii will pull big numbers.

Secondly, The PS3 has not been able to pull in big numbers with major releases like MGS4, White Knight Chronicles, Street Fighter 4, or Resident Evil 5. Maybe this trend will end when Final Fantasy XIII is released maybe it will not. I guess we will have to wait and see.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network
Kenology said:
haxxiy said:
SpartanFX said:

oh so a trend that ends in a month or so.

PS3 is wayy too expenisve in japan compared to competition to stay on top.

Hypocrite! You better purge your sig! :P

In Japan, PS3 will outsold Wii on 2009, 2010, 2011 and so on.

Believe it.

You're crazy.

Wanna know why I think this way? Because the two big upcoming Wii titles on Japan (MH3 and DQX) are very much at risk of being ported to PSP. Tell me, which third-party Wii games has been sucessful on Japan?

Not many, to be honest. Have you seen the sell-through for games released there for the Wii lately? Heck, no good.

Capcom and SE must assure their profits, you see.

I don't think Wii Sports Resort will move much hardware at all....

4 ≈ One

ya me too...

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Who said Halo 3 wouldn't move HW?

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Kenology said:
haxxiy said:
SpartanFX said:

Believe it.

You're crazy.

Wanna know why I think this way? Because the two big upcoming Wii titles on Japan (MH3 and DQX) are very much at risk of being ported to PSP. Tell me, which third-party Wii games has been sucessful on Japan?

Not many, to be honest. Have you seen the sell-through for games released there for the Wii lately? Heck, no good.

I know, that's why SO4, TLR and IU are on the PS3 as well.

Wait...

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

that a nice turn around for the ps3 in that region after doing around 8k there weekly last fall

Play Me

haxxiy said:
Kenology said:
haxxiy said:
SpartanFX said:

Believe it.

You're crazy.

MH3 being ported the PSP is somewhat believeable, as that's where the series has had the most success.  DQX!?  Yeah right... if SE would even ever consider porting it, it'd go to the DS.  And you picked the worst two games to illustrate your point.  Those two games WILL sell.

As for third party Wii sales in Japan go... the console has yet to have a truly anticipated, AAA, big-name franchise like Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest.  Those two games will sell consoles.  If you don't believe so, I'll be more than happy to make a friendly wager with you and personally prepare my special dish of crow for you to eat.

patjuan32 said:
kamil said:
What's important is that PS3 sales got very close to the Wii not the fact that it is 1k lower or higher. Sure, games have helped PS3 a lot but even now (2 weeks after last big game - Musou Orochi Z, and 3 weeks after last huge one - RE5) PS3 and Wii sales are very close. It used to be 3:1 in favor of Wii for most of this generation.
We're also not talking about one-two week bump like after MGS4 hit stores - PS3 managed to match Wii sales for whole quarter so I think that its a high chance that things have changed permanently.

I don't think that PS3 sales will hold that close to Wii for entrire year but I also don't think that Wii is going to beat the PS3 by such huge margin as they used to for last 2 years.

What you are failing to realize is that the Wii stays above the 15k mark without major releases. The PS3 nor the Xbox 360 have done that this gen. All the Wii needs is to have games in the top 20 and it will continue to sell between 15k to 20k. Now if the games are major releases then the Wii will pull big numbers.

Secondly, The PS3 has not been able to pull in big numbers with major releases like MGS4, White Knight Chronicles, Street Fighter 4, or Resident Evil 5. Maybe this trend will end when Final Fantasy XIII is released maybe it will not. I guess we will have to wait and see.

No, I'm not failing to realize where Wii is. And let's be honest, it's doing awful right now. Releases or not, it's down 68% in first quarter of 2008 compared to the first quarter of 2009! PS3 basically sold the same amount of units in this quarter as it did last year
You can see MC numbers for those quarters here:
1st quarter 2008: http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1354
1st quarter 2009: http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1355

And you're not correct that PS3 needs games to stay over 15k. It have stayed higher than that for many weeks before and even stays right now even through it got no big releases for last two weeks. And when PS3 had big releases it was outselling Wii 2:1 with almost 40k weekly not 15k.