By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sonic & The Secret Rings Sales in Japan

If this game can do 150-200,000 in Japan, it should get to 1million WW. I also think Rayman Raving Rabbids can pull 1 million WW, considering price cuts and sequels will push it over the long term as happens with many launch titles... It sold 90,000 in NA in January, putting it over 300,000 for the territory, and I'm pretty sure its still selling well in Europe too... Its easily outperforming Monkey Ball from the GC launch, anyways, and that game sold over 1 million... If Wii could indeed produce 2 different third party million sellers fairly quickly, that would be incredible news for the console...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Doesn't Red Steel have a shot at a million as well? It is at like 300,000 through January, just in the Americas..Europe sales are comparable I think.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Erik Aston said: If this game can do 150-200,000 in Japan, it should get to 1million WW. I also think Rayman Raving Rabbids can pull 1 million WW, considering price cuts and sequels will push it over the long term as happens with many launch titles... It sold 90,000 in NA in January, putting it over 300,000 for the territory, and I'm pretty sure its still selling well in Europe too... Its easily outperforming Monkey Ball from the GC launch, anyways, and that game sold over 1 million... If Wii could indeed produce 2 different third party million sellers fairly quickly, that would be incredible news for the console...
Unfortunately Rayman bombed in Japan ( http://www.vgcharts.org/japgamewk.php?name=Rayman%20Raving%20Rabbids ) so it will have a great deal of difficulty breaking 1 Million ... That's not to say it won't happen (it has probably sold ~400K in both North America and Europe) but it won't be easy ...

It will probably do respectable business, but that is mainly because there is practiacally nothing else out there for the Wii worth buying. Its not like it has any competiton...

PSN - hanafuda

staticneuron said: The last sonic really has made me mad. So this new one has earned rental status. The last sonic I really enjoyed was sonic adventure and SA part 2 with friends.
SA made me sick - seriously (the DC one anyway). We had just picked up a DC, and were SO hyped to be playing the game. After 10minutes, no one wanted to have a go - and it never got played again. Im hoping this one is better... a lot better :P I think this will sell in a similar fashion to Fire Emblem - but maybe a little longer and better. Sega still has lots of fans in Japan, and this should appeal to the audience the Wii is targeting. Presume 70k-100k in the first week (less than 50k will be a disappointment).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: Erik Aston said: If this game can do 150-200,000 in Japan, it should get to 1million WW. I also think Rayman Raving Rabbids can pull 1 million WW, considering price cuts and sequels will push it over the long term as happens with many launch titles... It sold 90,000 in NA in January, putting it over 300,000 for the territory, and I'm pretty sure its still selling well in Europe too... Its easily outperforming Monkey Ball from the GC launch, anyways, and that game sold over 1 million... If Wii could indeed produce 2 different third party million sellers fairly quickly, that would be incredible news for the console... Unfortunately Rayman bombed in Japan ( http://www.vgcharts.org/japgamewk.php?name=Rayman%20Raving%20Rabbids ) so it will have a great deal of difficulty breaking 1 Million ... That's not to say it won't happen (it has probably sold ~400K in both North America and Europe) but it won't be easy ...
When the site had American game comparisons up, I compared Rayman Raving Rabbids to Super Monkey Ball from GC launch, and it was easily outperforming it. With Wii selling 300k and 400k a month in America each month, instead of GC which dropped under 100k right after launch, I think Rayman should reach 1 million. Its main competition is probably WarioWare. RRR is also on pace to easily be the best-selling Rayman title ever in America. As for Red Steel... The bad reviews and WOM might kill that one... Rayman is showing better legs than RS right now... But in the long term, it might make it... Sonic might beat them both there though, since it should do okay in all three major territories.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The latest UK chart: 1. GRAW 2 2. FFXII 3. Sonic and the Secret Rings 4. Crackdown 5. The Sims 2: Seasons 6. FIFA 07 7. Pro Evo 6 8. The Sims 2: Pets 9. Call of Duty 3 10. New Super Mario Bros. ...so Sonic seems to be doing *VERY* well across the pond.

stewacide said: The latest UK chart: 1. GRAW 2 2. FFXII 3. Sonic and the Secret Rings 4. Crackdown 5. The Sims 2: Seasons 6. FIFA 07 7. Pro Evo 6 8. The Sims 2: Pets 9. Call of Duty 3 10. New Super Mario Bros. ...so Sonic seems to be doing *VERY* well across the pond.
Great I really hope that sonic is going well on the Wii so that Wii might get some more Sega love. Some nice arcade ports, light guns games or something, would be nice.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Sonic looks like it sold either 63,000 (1up), or 83,000..in the USA in about a week and a half (remember Feb NPD includes March 1-3) Makes me doubt it will top 600,000 worldwide. I can see it at around 300,000 though since it does look like it will reach 100,000 - at least - in 1 market (Americas)...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Well now that the definitive software numbers are out. It looks like Sonic has sold 83,000. Not bad for a weekend in a half. Especially considering the bad taste Sonic the Hedgehog for 360/PS3 must of left in the mouths of gamers everywhere.