By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix boss instructs Sony marketing department

Goddbless said:
They were the ones saying they wanted to be equal in deving for the new consoles but it seems they have all their prized eggs in one basket. Now that basket is close to a fire and they have no extinguisher. They may have to suck it up and take the loss. I see them just delaying the game even more trying to wait for a bigger install base. I don't think they will waste more money trying to port it. That is unless they can port it to the Wii for cheap.
The problem with delaying the game further is that it has to be justified with a spectacular game when it's released or they will still get burned. This is all if the PS3 sales don't pick up to their liking however.

One of their prized eggs is Dragon Quest, and that's safely in the DS basket. Yet those games have just a fraction of the development cost of an FF game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Gelmer said:
If S-E wants to take this path then they are more than welcome to. Why they feel the FF brand has to be held synonymous with that of the Sony brand is somewhat of a mystery but if they're so intent on using 1080dpi to supplement the utter lack of creativity or innovation in their most recent instalments then I'll be more than pleased to see them ride the sinking PS3 ship down the path of mediocrity and hopefully learn a lesson along the way.

I know these words will strike a nerve with many but I am sick and tired of seeing S-E ruin the FF main series with their abhorent lack of vision, policy of special editions never released in the U.S., remakes galore and need for copious amounts of supplementary spin-off games while Sony meanwhile still tries to sell us a $500-$600 dead mackeral. If this is fate and two birds must be killed with one stone then so be it, I won't shed a tear.

Square was never known for their good decisions, in fact it was the lack of good decisions that left them virtually bankrupt and forced them to merge (essentially bought out) by Enix. Even then there is no mistaking the awkward downhill trend they've taken in game and marketing practices ever since the horror that was the Spirits Within before hand. If they're not busy making copy and paste main series games that do little more than rehash FFX then they're busy hocking remake after remake after remake or raping the beloved FF7 franchise all the while never giving the fans what they really want, a remake or port. They've even gone so far as to make critical elements of the FF7 story exclusive to the impractical Cell-phone format essentially dooming any fan or completist capable of shame.

The Crystal Chronicles games hold some promise but the original is nothing to instill much confidence in a market hungry for a fresh start. And while their handheld spin-offs and remakes seem to remain fairly fresh they still carry with them the odious funk of the home consoles' sins.

If Square really loves Sony so much then they can have them, I'm sure Sony will reciprocate the love with a session of rough unprotected anal sex and black eye or cigarette burn to remember the incident by.

Despite many people liking FF 12, some didn't it was very hit and miss.

Spin offs and remakes are being used to fund their bigger games.

Actually cell phone games are extremely popular in Japan.

So all spin off series of FInal Fantasy are bad, but Crystal Chronicles is good and has promise. riiiiight.

And that last part is just nasty.

Whether you like or not Square has done best whenever they have released games on a Sony platform. (quailty is your opionon, but commerical success isn't.)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Rhonin the wizard said:
ssj12 said:
this has already been posted i hope you know, different sources but still on the same topic.
This thread was the first one.

Thanks, Ron.

I agree that Sony's marketing is horrible, especially here in NA. The main problem is that the majority of consumers don't really know what the machine can do, and why it costs a whopping $500. They need to send the simple message of "Here's what it does, and this is why it costs $500, and here are some games" then flash a bunch of cool screenshots from various games. This would get the point across far better than the floating babies and the other garbage in their past commercials .

Here is a big problem with sony

They do not advertise for $hit.

They dont feel like buying exclusive games which is stupid.

They are cocky, and they think that just because the ps2 won the ps3 will win automaticly.

They arent on the vgchartz forums.

mM
Around the Network

You actually believed them when they said that?

Allow me to enlighten you that Ubisoft didn't give the PS3 a timed exclusive of Haze for free, Rockstar are not making a new IP PS3 exclusive for free among MANY other things where it's been clear that Sony are sweetning deals along the way. Sony saying that was a jab at Microsoft, a stupid and idiotic jab at that.

The Last Remnant is going to bomb. I'm sorry, but that's my opinion. It's testing the waters, but that would have made sense BEFORE developing several 30+ million dollar FFs for one console not guaranteed to sell. Now DQIX on the DS makes all the more sense.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I agree on that Last Remnant is going to bomb.

Claude, can you pass your opinion what you think that SO4, FFXIII and FFVersusXIII will sell?

jhlennon1 said:

You actually believed them when they said that?

Allow me to enlighten you that Ubisoft didn't give the PS3 a timed exclusive of Haze for free, Rockstar are not making a new IP PS3 exclusive for free among MANY other things where it's been clear that Sony are sweetning deals along the way. Sony saying that was a jab at Microsoft, a stupid and idiotic jab at that.

They also "pay" for exclusives in other ways, the primary of which is publishing third party games.  The original Killzone (Guerilla), Heavenly Sword (Ninja Theory), Lair (Factor 5), LittleBigPlanet (Media Molecule), and Heavy Rain (Quantic Dream) are all exclusive because Sony picked up the publishing rights.  Killzone was originally on the PC, Heavy Rain was originally multiplat, and Heavenly Sword was originally being developed for the Xbox/360.

I have a feeling that many of these devs will come on as full time Sony-second party, most likely Ninja Theory and Media Molecule, as they have both expressed very favorable views towards Sony, and have recieved  much in the way of support from the company (financial and hardware support).  Factor 5 has already expressed their strategy of exclusive support for one console per gen, so they'll also stick around at least until the ps4 hits.  As for Quantic Dream, that's a little iffy.  It seems like it was more of a one-time thing, because they were desperate for a publisher, but who knows, they may stick around as well.  And Guerilla, as we all know, was bought by Sony. :)

But yes, Sony does "pay" for exclusives, in many ways.

ClaudeLv250 said:
The Last Remnant is going to bomb. I'm sorry, but that's my opinion. It's testing the waters, but that would have made sense BEFORE developing several 30+ million dollar FFs for one console not guaranteed to sell. Now DQIX on the DS makes all the more sense.

Bombing is not the word I'd use. I see FFXIII selling half of the previous one; not bombing, but dissapointing to SE. So they either go for Xbox too or focus on Wii & DS.