By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Japan base crumbling? Wii sales only 39k last week..

I personally had the money to buy any of the three consoles last Christmas; (Well couldn't buy PS3 due to the delay Sony was kind enough to make us go through again - Yes, PSP I'm looking at your 9 months delay anashamed face - but I could've waited) yet I chose to buy the Wii because it TRIES to do something new. In most cases I doesn't quite get there, but at least it tries; I've heard so many people bashing the Wii (and the DS before it) by calling it "last-gen" because of it's graphics; well, I didn't want a system three - 3 - THREE generations back control-wise and at some level idea-wise.

Around the Network

Anyone criticising the Wii's library at the moment needs to think more carefully. The DS has an excellent library, yes, but it didn't start that way. Nobody thought the Wii would be as successful as it has been and as a result publishers were caught off guard. Creating a game takes time and so far there just hasn't been enough time for developers to make good games for the Wii. Just look at the development time for a game like FF or BioShock. Those games weren't finished in months, they took years.

And about my previous post, I don't want to come across defensive, I just like to make my point clear.

Sqrl said:

Aug 26th
Wii = -33%
PS3 = -26%
360 = -19%
DS = -32%
PSP = -25%

Sep 2nd
Wii = 0%
PS3 = +8%
360 = -8%
DS = -10%
PSP = -1%

Everyone has experienced drops. There is something more than just a Wii thing here.

But in any case wii sales were 49k this week and last week and the week before that they were at 72k which is right around the average over the past 3 months.

Yes I am quoting myself....this was the SECOND POST IN THE THREAD!!!

....ok I feel better now =)

This topic should be dead and burried, I proved with this post it was an acrossed the board change. The sky is not falling and the world is not coming to an end. Go about your normal business and enjoy your games...nothing has changed guys ...really...I promise...

Here I will post a little more info for you.....(click on picture to view fully)

This picture was something else I posted on page 1...really how is there any doubt that this is anything but an industry wide adjustment? 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
Sqrl said:

Aug 26th
Wii = -33%
PS3 = -26%
360 = -19%
DS = -32%
PSP = -25%

Sep 2nd
Wii = 0%
PS3 = +8%
360 = -8%
DS = -10%
PSP = -1%

Everyone has experienced drops. There is something more than just a Wii thing here.

But in any case wii sales were 49k this week and last week and the week before that they were at 72k which is right around the average over the past 3 months.

Yes I am quoting myself....this was the SECOND POST IN THE THREAD!!!

....ok I feel better now =)

This topic should be dead and burried, I proved with this post it was an acrossed the board change. The sky is not falling and the world is not coming to an end. Go about your normal business and enjoy your games...nothing has changed guys ...really...I promise...

Here I will post a little more info for you.....(click on picture to view fully)

This picture was something else I posted on page 1...really how is there any doubt that this is anything but an industry wide adjustment?

You can't kill a thread by posting Sqrl

@ grandmaster192

Using your logic of only buying systems with the best game libraries would result in every new console released failing. Name any console which in it's first year had a library superior to the previous gens leader? I'm waiting....

What you are saying is that there should be no early adopters, I hope you realise that this would effectively kill the industry. A new system is never going to be able to compete against others which have been out for years in terms of library variety and depth, all it can hope to do is produce a couple of games which differentiates itself from the crowd and so far this gen Wii has done just that and imo the PS3 and to a lesser extent 360 haven't, hence the sales.

I honestly don't know how someone can be for the DS and against the Wii, they have been designed with the exact same philosophy behind them. Would the DS have the library it does if people hadn't bought it for the first year because it didn't have as big a library as GBA? I don't think so. Your argument is completely redundant.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network

its not hard to agree that if a system is selling "very" well then developers want part of that money right? so anyone trying ot say the wii wont emmase a huge libary is just trying to kid them selves--

To this effect some people are claiming that,"yeah well everyone might be rushing to get crap on the wii but that just mean it wil be junk jobs that will all tank"--fair enough for some not for others---sure you might only get one good game a month for every 4-5 crappy ones in your opinion--but on the flip side another peron might be getting 4-5 good ones and then only one crappy!

Sep 9th Famitsu sales:

DSl 79k
Wii 38k
PSP 16k
PS3 14k
360 1800

Wow, new lows all around..

It's actually more the norm. The previous sales levels were abnormally high.

I think media-create sales are usually lower than Famitsu. So media create Wii sales could be as low as 32,000 or something like that.

Not sure what's causing all hardware to fall in Japan last two weeks..except PS2..

Those DSL sales might be the lowest in 2-3 year...the Wii sales the lowest ever for it?

sharky said:
I think media-create sales are usually lower than Famitsu. So media create Wii sales could be as low as 32,000 or something like that.

Not sure what's causing all hardware to fall in Japan last two weeks..except PS2..

Those DSL sales might be the lowest in 2-3 year...the Wii sales the lowest ever for it?

There are in the slowest period of the year for gaming in Japan.   Think of our post holidays sales.  Same thign over there, they just had a major holiday and now it's in the usual slump.

The rEVOLution is not being televised