By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Japan base crumbling? Wii sales only 39k last week..

leo-j said:
johnlucas said:

Wow. The Wii sells more like a mortal system for a little while and people are making up Wiipocaypse Now stories.

10 months after release and it shows signs of meeting demand. *Gasp*

Think about what you just said: it took nearly a year before Wii sold less like a freak of nature and more like every other machine yet still on top with sure footing from week to week.

This is nothing more than a natural ebb after tremendous ungodly flows. It was the Immortal Wii Hogan, brotherrr, and now it sells like a more a mortal man yet still remains on top.

Somebody said it earlier. Calm before the storm.

Holiday season is fast approaching. This ebb is preparing you for the mind-destroying flows that are about to be commonplace for the next 3 months.

John Lucas

Well if by meeting demand you mean that there are still wii's in stock in japan and it only sold about 40k, that is bad.

what about meeting demand in 1 month then selling 7k a week in japan while perfectly stocked up? Is it also bad? 

Around the Network

The hysterical reaction from some sections of the gaming community is amusing. Interpreting the data should be fairly straightforward. Almost across the board, hardware sales dropped in Japan. The only exception to this was the PS3, but they had the release of a major game, which easily accounts for their modestly increased sales.

One could just as easily claim that the DS is doomed, given its reduced sales, but that hardly makes any sense does it? People screaming the Wii is doomed reek of confirmation bias. They have a hypothesis: the Wii is destined to fail. They see evidence that appears to support this hypothesis (see the previous paragraph, and note that I said 'appears'): they then swiftly conclude that their hypothesis must be true. This is poor, poor reasoning.

If we are to conclude that the Wii is failing we need better evidence. What we need is to observe the Wii's behaviour under circumstances where it should be successful (e.g. after the release of a major title). If sales continue to be sluggish then, or if they continue to be sluggish in the long-term, then we can come back to this topic.

LG[Infinite] said:
The hysterical reaction from some sections of the gaming community is amusing. Interpreting the data should be fairly straightforward. Almost across the board, hardware sales dropped in Japan. The only exception to this was the PS3, but they had the release of a major game, which easily accounts for their modestly increased sales.

One could just as easily claim that the DS is doomed, given its reduced sales, but that hardly makes any sense does it? People screaming the Wii is doomed reek of confirmation bias. They have a hypothesis: the Wii is destined to fail. They see evidence that appears to support this hypothesis (see the previous paragraph, and note that I said 'appears'): they then swiftly conclude that their hypothesis must be true. This is poor, poor reasoning.

If we are to conclude that the Wii is failing we need better evidence. What we need is to observe the Wii's behaviour under circumstances where it should be successful (e.g. after the release of a major title). If sales continue to be sluggish then, or if they continue to be sluggish in the long-term, then we can come back to this topic.

Umm, problem, the Wii has never needed software before to sell...

I'll rephrase that: the Wii has never needed "hard-core" games to sell.

RolStoppable said:
sharky said:
LG[Infinite] said:

So why did people get Wiis in the first place if not for the games?

For wii sports and Wii play?  It is almost every week in the Top 50 (Probably always in the Top 50).

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
konnichiwa said:
RolStoppable said:
sharky said:

So why did people get Wiis in the first place if not for the games?

For wii sports and Wii play? It is almost every week in the Top 50 (Probably always in the Top 50).

And Wii Sports and Wii Play aren't games? Also, Wii Play is really a no brainer because you get a Wiimote with the game.

Not to mention, LG[Infinite]'s point still stands: it doesn't matter if the system sold entirely on Wii Sports and Wii Play in the past...supply was bound to catch up with demand sooner or later and at this point we have to measure things differently.  Wii Sports and Wii Play weren't the last word in Wii software, if Wii Fit or Super Mario Galaxy are big bombs, then we have something to talk about.

This is another case of a couple of weekly charts being interpreted as a major trend.  Give me a couple of months of data showing this trend and then we'll talk.

I am still just waiting for them to bundle the wii with an extra remote and something like smash---or just the wii and Galaxy---now that would be a crazy month

I am not saying that Wii Sports and Wii Play aren't games. I was simply saying that Nintendo needed a big gun, a proven performer at launch and they had it in Zelda. As enjoyable as Wii Play and Wii Sports can be, they didn't come with the aura that Zelda did. Zelda is a system seller, a proven one, and it was a smart move to port it. Wii Play and Wii Sports on the other hand, have proven themselves, but it would have been risky launching only with untried titles.

And yes I do have a Wii... currently getting the Chicago Typewriter in RE4.

vanguardian1 said:
Some people from NeoGAF who live in Japan can easily go to their stores and get one now. They're still selling well, but not longer constantly selling out like they were. C'mon now, it's not a crime to finally hit near the saturation point for shipments after 10 months now, is it? :)

Indeed. 

I can walk into my local Bik Camera in a couple of hours and pick a few up if I really wanted to.

Until Mario Galaxy comes out, this situation is going to remain the same, and to be honest, I don't see that title making huge differences to the HW figures either.  The software itself will shift a lot of copies though. 

PSN - hanafuda

Yea they'll probably sell out though during the holidays.

But I'm wondering why everyone is throwing such a tantrum about this. It's the dog days of August. Gaming sales are just usually slow during this month especially in Japan. I mean Wii is having a few slow weeks yet still on a strong pace to have 6-7 million sold alone in Japan by the end of this year. I mean if ya noticed everything else is selling slow as well. Dog days of August gentlemen.