By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Japan base crumbling? Wii sales only 39k last week..

The media create weekly numbers show:

NDS 94,339  (dropoff)

Wii 39,371 (another dropoff several weeks running) 

PSP 22,196 

PS3 18,068 (slight increase)

Now people are saying Wii is not sold out in Japan anymore, this does not appear to be a supply issue. Further people are actually now saying that with it's lineup this year PS3 could start outselling Wii in Japan later this year... 

Japan is the base for all the recent Nintendo hype and it would be a big negative sign if the Wii began to slacken there..i 

Around the Network

Aug 26th
Wii = -33%
PS3 = -26%
360 = -19%
DS = -32%
PSP = -25%

Sep 2nd
Wii = 0%
PS3 = +8%
360 = -8%
DS = -10%
PSP = -1%

Everyone has experienced drops.  There is something more than just a Wii thing here.

But in any case  wii sales were 49k this week and last week and the week before that they were at 72k which is right around the average over the past 3 months.

To Each Man, Responsibility

A near 50% drop in total sales over the two weeks is quite interesting.

Nintendo, the solution: H-Games on the Wii!

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Wii in japan from 70k > 50k

In US 100k > 120k

Since there is no production increase...... 

Teh Wii is doomed¡¡¡1!!!

Definately not a good sign for Nintendo. But it seems to be a general trend, how have sales trends been usually this time of the year?

Let's wait and see a couple more weeks to see what happens.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I'm not totally convinced this isn't a supply issue for Wii, though. We'll see in future weeks I guess?

adigen said:

Wii in japan from 70k > 50k

In US 100k > 120k

Since there is no production increase...... 

That goes along with the rumors of Nintendo diverting units from Japan to America in anticipation of...something.  I don't remember.  Metroid Prime 3 maybe?   I don't know remember the reason, but it does make sense.

only 39k?

Why, thats just pitiful

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

All I have to say is Metroid Prime 3 launched in the US.

So was the PS2 doomed when it's sales dropped to 3,637 in Japan at about week 40?