By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo denies Metroid Dread

Been said: Either it is done, or it is 3D... or, they really aren't.

Isn't Dread supposed to be after Fusion? I forget.

Food for thought: Nintendo denied that they were working on the DS 10 days prior to revealing it.

Around the Network

It could also mean that Retro is making Dread, not Nintendo.

"Nintendo is not making the 2D Metroid at this point in time."

The wording there, as it says "the" and not "a" means that there IS a specific and planned 2D Metroid to be referring to. Thus, the wording would imply that either a. Nintendo is not the company making it - somebody else is (and that would most likely be Retro), or b. Nintendo is just not working with it at this present moment in time (either because the game will be worked on sometime in the future, or because Nintendo's involvement is complete).

I'm led to believe that the game is currently being worked on, but by Retro, not Nintendo, specifically. Also, I'd have to say that "at this time" means that either Nintendo HAS worked on it (probably started working on it, then handed it over to Retro) or Retro is going to hand it over to Nintendo later on.

And I'm aware that Retro belongs to Nintendo, yes, but they're still not specifically NINTENDO themselves.

SW-5120-1900-6153

^Actually, Retro is taking a break from Metroid. Thus, unless they already finished, they aren't working on it.

Either way, I would think it is NCSoft(Metroid Hunters) who are making the game.

Maybe they are working on Super Paper Metroid?

@DonWii: Wasn't Retro Studios taking a break from Metroid Prime?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

they said they were taking a break from Samus

*SLIGHT MP3: Corruption spoilers contained in following post*

[SPOILERS]

No, Metroid Prime is finished. That was only meant to be a trilogy, and it's finished now. Prime was the story of Phazon, and now Phazon no longer exists, as Samus destroyed Planet Phaaze. So, Metroid Prime is finished.

[/SPOILERS]

I didn't know Retro had completely decided to let Metroid be, though. Either way, what I'd said in my above post was really just example-material. It could be ANY company to be making Metroid Dread. The real point is that I doubt that statement means that Dread isn't on its way.

Although, it'd make sense if Retro was the company making Dread, since they're the ones that claimed that Metroid project "Dread" is nearing completion...

SW-5120-1900-6153

""Nintendo is not making the 2D Metroid at this point in time."

Maybe they are making a 2.5D Metroid. Like New Super Mario Bros!

thetonestarr said:
*SLIGHT MP3: Corruption spoilers contained in following post*

[SPOILERS]

No, Metroid Prime is finished. That was only meant to be a trilogy, and it's finished now. Prime was the story of Phazon, and now Phazon no longer exists, as Samus destroyed Planet Phaaze. So, Metroid Prime is finished.

[/SPOILERS]

I didn't know Retro had completely decided to let Metroid be, though. Either way, what I'd said in my above post was really just example-material. It could be ANY company to be making Metroid Dread. The real point is that I doubt that statement means that Dread isn't on its way.

Although, it'd make sense if Retro was the company making Dread, since they're the ones that claimed that Metroid project "Dread" is nearing completion...

Retro Taking A Well-Earned Break From Metroid

Poor Retro. All these years, all these Metroid games, they must be sick of Samus. Sick to death of her pretty blonde hair and big orange suit and arms that are guns and suit that's a ball. The guys have done enough for the Nintendo faithful, and they deserve a break. And a break's what they're going to get.
We are taking a break from the Metroid series and from Samus. I think that there will be other titles created. But as far as Retro Studos is concerned, we'll take a break for a little bit.

Take five lads. Go to some exotic Mediterranean resort, drink fruity drinks with umbrellas in them, have a discreet rendezvous with a bored Italian housewife. You've earned it.

Via Kotaku, via Yahoo Games, via Gamelife.

Retro has left the Metroid/Samus game for now. Many hold faith that Retro will be involved in the oft rumored, oft demanded Kid Icarus Wii title. Perhaps they are going back to RavenBlade. If they do go that route I hope that they start from scratch. While the game may have looked interesting for its time games like God of War and even Soul Reaver put it to shame. But whatever Retro does, they will do it right.

As far as Nintendo not working on a Metroid title...hmmm. How do I take this?

One thing I will point out is Nintendo's reputation. They are a company known for quality. So if someone asks them about a game I'm sure they always give vague answers or denials until they are proud of what they can show. They are not a company that says, "Hey, we're build the Taj Majal" and then show you a few pencil sketches, or even the foundation. They keep the whole thing covered until they are proud of the work that they have done.

For instance, Nintendo was toying with the idea of Metroid throughout the Nintendo 64's life, and yet we never saw anything. Certainly it could be said that a Metroid game was in production, since it was. But they never showed us anything because they weren't satisfied with the results. We didn't even get to see Prime until Shigeru changed it to 1st person.

So this quote can be taken any way. Nintendo is not bound by law to tell the truth. It could mean anoither company is working on it. It could mean it is in 2.5 or 3d. It could mean that they are just saving it to announce the first WiiWare game (That's where I'd like to see it).

Retro knew something, just as they did about the DS. Nintendo loves thhe hype machine and right now they are playing it like a finely tuned instrument. Or maybe we are the ones getting played. Only next years e3 may tell.

This what they said: "Nintendo is not making the 2D Metroid at this point in time."

Did anyone noticed that they said "making"... could it be that the game has already been "made". Wishful thinking, I know, but still...